Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2015, 04:24 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
https://www.facebook.com/LouisianaStatePolice

This one doesn't have the annoying commercial.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2015, 04:25 PM   #30

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did the cable barriers cause the coach to flip?

It looked like the driver was keeping it straight, but then it gets caught up in the cables and flips over.

I am going to seriously look at installing a Safe-T-Plus after watching that video five times!
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:37 PM   #31

Damon Owners Club
Most Motor Home tires have a max speed rating of 75 MPH. There is a reason for that.
Wb2IVU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:55 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post
Did the cable barriers cause the coach to flip?

It looked like the driver was keeping it straight, but then it gets caught up in the cables and flips over.

I am going to seriously look at installing a Safe-T-Plus after watching that video five times!
If you read the facebook page it seems to suggest that. It says the cables were not really designed for a large vehicle like that. It's hard to tell from the video and photos, but seems after it tipped over, it slid across the opposite side lanes, spun around end-wise and came to rest on the shoulder on the other side. I can't imagine that ride!
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:04 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Wong View Post
I got a question for all who have stabilizer installed. from the video, Do you think the stabilizer would have a different out come? (please,... answer only if you have one in your rig)

I ask this question because I been thinking about it for a long time, I am sure it will help (a little) - but will it prevent a situation like this?

I'm not trying to single you out Dan but several people have posted similar comments about buying stabilizers after watching the video, etc and it made me wonder if anyone has confirmed that the accident motorhome did not have one. Maybe it did.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:24 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I owned and drove tractor-trailers most of my adult life i'm gonna be 60 in August. Have blown front tires at speed and never did that. He was giving that rig extra space and just cruising probably arguing or talking with his wife not paying attention! You have a blowout at 70 an inch from the soft shoulder at 69yo you better have big arms and fast reflexes or that is the result. I know lots of people that run on the lower end of the air pressure for a smoother ride and more than likely those were OEM tires as most people won't spend $350-400 a tire if they only have xxx miles and they look good! Bobby
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:24 PM   #35

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Navigator View Post
I'm not trying to single you out Dan but several people have posted similar comments about buying stabilizers after watching the video, etc and it made me wonder if anyone has confirmed that the accident motorhome did not have one. Maybe it did.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
There is no confirmed comment but one is not visible on the still picture of the bottom.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:26 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
A couple of years ago I had a left front blowout on the interstate. A loud explosion occurred and I did not apply brakes right away. I tried to accelerate to keep the coach stable but drag on the coach slowly stopped me. I was in the far left and I was safely able to get over to the right side of the road. It was a mess. All wiring in the wheel well was damaged along with some fender damage. If it happens to you make sure you don't slam on the brakes because you will lose control. If you feel you are losing control on a DP engage the rear brakes with the emergency control.

Scary but I never lost full control. Followed the advice in these forums thank God.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:38 PM   #37

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastGlassMan View Post
I owned and drove tractor-trailers most of my adult life i'm gonna be 60 in August. Have blown front tires at speed and never did that. He was giving that rig extra space and just cruising probably arguing or talking with his wife not paying attention! You have a blowout at 70 an inch from the soft shoulder at 69yo you better have big arms and fast reflexes or that is the result. I know lots of people that run on the lower end of the air pressure for a smoother ride and more than likely those were OEM tires as most people won't spend $350-400 a tire if they only have xxx miles and they look good! Bobby
Curious, do you guys use steering stabilizers on big rigs?
Old 05-13-2015, 11:42 AM   #38

Well that was an eye opener, i live near there and the road there is really nice has been repaved a cpl years back, i never go over 65 but maybe thats too fast too,for sure now im looking into a Safe T control ,
Tabors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:50 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd157k View Post
That dude was makin' time! Funny but I didn't see any 'reason' for the accident. Tire failure?
The first line of the story includes "Dash cam video from a semi captured the moment the tire of a camper failed,"
Racklefratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:58 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerdutch View Post
A Blowout on left front will take you in that direction if you dont pay attention with both hands on the wheel. Accelerate to ovecome the pull and then slowly decrease speed to come to a safe spot.
I don't buy the "accelerate" business, for the simple reason that the vehicle is pulling in the direction of the failure, and a symetrical force forward won't reduce that steering bias; all it will do is make you go faster in that direction, exactly what you DON'T need at a time like that. Slowing is the only thing that makes any sense to me, and that's what I did when it happened to me.

If one had the ability to accelerate ASYMETRICALLY, to counteract the forces pulling the other direction, that might be helpful. But there's no way to do that.
Racklefratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:31 PM   #41

I'm not showing that to my wife....it scared me. I wonder how fast he was going? Perhaps above the 75 mph max????
Bespos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:42 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
That's terrible. Really glad everybody is OK. So much for thinking I could get one more year out of my steers. Unfortunate reminder; time to go shopping. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, dash