Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2019, 01:27 PM   #1

Class A (and other) Leveling Jacks

I have a 2002 Travel Supreme 40DS and while tending to a leaking compartment under the right rear noticed the outer seal on the jackstand was kind of, well, disintegrating. I don't have any leaks yet, but so far Camping World said they don't do that work except at a ridiculous price (no surprise there) and they have to send the hydraulic cylinders out, but they said they have never done that. Most hydraulic shops will overhaul them but not to the removal and replacement. Without a pit to work under I certainly can't get them off with the tiny clearance under there. Has anyone had to overhaul their jack system and what kind of shop was willing to do it turn key? What cost? They aren't leaking now, but once that starts the jacks are unusable so I would like to do it before I leave April 1 for an extended trip. Thanks for any suggestions. Peter
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2019, 01:36 PM   #2

A picture would help..... It certainly isn't a pressure seal or there would be a puddle too.....
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:59 PM   #3

Sounds like a dust cover seal.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:25 PM   #4

I had both rears replaced 2 years ago on a 36' PaceArrow in Jax Fl. $400 and they did it while I waited. About the same price as rebuilding. I think the business was American RV.

Wife just said it was General RV Ctr in Orange Park. She also said it cost a little more than $400. I remember it being a good price though. Ram Jack on the northside would probably rebuild but labor removing then will be high. They are very heavy.
Regwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:25 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Get under there and clean it all up around the seals. Take a good look at what is there and keep the dirt from building up. With care and regular cleaning, those seals will last the life of your rig.
Buildup of dirt and grime is what destroys the seals. The dust seals are there to stop road grime from getting to the oil seals, so keeping it as clean as you can will prolong the life of those as well.
To get under there, you may have to park with the jacks over a dip in a driveway or some other spot that will give you room to get around under there.
If you decide to raise it with the jacks, it only goes to say be sure to use some blocking to protect yourself while underneath. Most likely it will stay up just fine, but is it worth the chance?
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:15 AM   #6

Called General RV- said they couldn't do the work. They don't work on any units over 10 years old ... I'll keep looking.
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterFTH View Post
Called General RV- said they couldn't do the work. They don't work on any units over 10 years old ... I'll keep looking.
Check with the dealer on I10.
Regwal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, jacks, leveling, leveling jacks