Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2021, 05:10 PM   #1

Question Class A CDL?

So looking into all kinds of RVs we thought we wanted an A at one point, and might go back to that.

I have a question for those who have retired from trucking but still require a class A license for their RV.

Did you keep the commercial status? Feels like a lot of regulations and strict punishments for dings on a commercial license if something were to ever happen would be unnecessary if I don't drive trucks anymore. Also, you have to keep your medical card up.

Did you downgrade from a class A commercial to a class A exempt?

Why or why not?

(Current license is in TX with Passenger, School Bus, Tanker, and Hazmat)
Heath Close is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2021, 05:24 PM   #2

NJ took my CDL away because I didn't have proof of work that needed it. It took a few years but they took it.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:36 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Retired in 2016 and I still keep my class A CDL with tanker and double endorsement. Dropped the hazmat. Yes, I have a current medical card good for interstate operation. I kept it for the simple fact that once it's gone, it's gone. And who knows what some states may require in the future since we're over 26k gvwr in our coach.
Oh, and my friend sometimes hires me to drive gravel truck as a backup...when I feel like working, which ain't often.
Will I keep it well into my 70's?,not sure.
I do get a slight discount on my Rv insurance by retaining the CDL, however it's only about 5%. (Nationwide)
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:53 PM   #4
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
I dropped my Class A when the State started to get their panties in a bunch because I hadn't renewed my HazMat and they didn't know the difference between a terrorist and a tourist.

I held on to it because I had this grand delusion that I might go back as a casual, (I was one of the few that quit/retired and actually gave notice, most just failed to show up for work. That's how bad the company got.) but it took about three nights of sleeping at night instead of days that idea went out the window.

Also in Oregon we are not (yet) required to have a Non-Commercial A to drive any size of motor home. So why spend the extra dollars?

Oh, enjoy the "Everyday is Saturday" club.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:11 PM   #5

I quit work at 60 and I kept my CDL till I was in my 70's. You don't need a special license in CT and it seemed a waste to pay for the medical card so I let it go.
K Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:14 PM   #6

I had a commercial Class A license on the FD for over 30 years. Originally, there was some controversy about whether or not we actually needed it on the FD based on some of our equipment. But, it was offered and we could get certified and tested on FD time, by FD personnel and, so I got it way in my early part of my career.

But, I retired in '09 and, my license was up for renewal in '10. I dropped everything but my motorcycle endorsement and have never looked back. I don't really ever plan on operating or driving ANYTHING that requires that type of a license. And, at that time, CA (my ex state) had changed some of the rules pertaining to a CDL. If you got a speeding ticket or some other type of infraction, you were SEVERELY penalized and your insurance would skyrocket etc.

So, time for a regular drivers license.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:42 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In TX if you have a class A or B with a M (motorcycle) you never have to take a driven test again. Why, dont ask me? Yes ya gotta go in for renewal.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:32 AM   #8

In Texas, a Class A Exempt is just an endorsement from the normal driver's license to be able to drive a large (over 26,000 lbs) vehicle, not for hire. There Class B Exempt is similar but a bit different. No medical required. I dropped my commercial years ago.
If you are not driving trucks, and do not plan to drive again, why keep the Commercial license?

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 05:43 AM   #9

I retired in '17 and have kept my CDL. Like some of the others who posted above, I thought I might pick up a little fun work here and there, plus it is just too much trouble to get it back, if I need it for some strange reason.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:05 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Same thing as most. Retired and kept it , doing the cvs medical every couple years. Its up again next year and Ill probably let it go. I kept it thinking I might use it. my old company hires temp drivers for 3 months every year and pay big bonuses to ex company drivers but working holds no interest . Truthfully I think its mostly a old guy pride thing, that CDL made me good money. Letting it go kinda closes a door.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:10 AM   #11

Retired at 62, now 66 and kept my cdl. Gvw of fifth wheel and truck is over 26,000 lbs. I know that Massachusetts does no require a cdl yet for campers but hate to have to go through testing again if the rules ever change. I also have to have a medical card to keep my hoisting license. I sometimes get a call to run equipment once in a while. I did drop the hazmat though. Still kept the motorcycle endorsement. Don't know why. Will never ride one again.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:39 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I'm 82 and still have my CDL class A. I have always kept it because we are still traveling in a 46,000 lb class A motorhome and tow a 9,000 lb trailer. Got the class A license when I was farming and had 40' 18 wheel grain semi trailer.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:44 AM   #13

haven't renewed my medical card for two years but licence is not up for two more years and thinking I might renew since I was stopped for speeding and was let go because officer thought it would hurt my record.
holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:13 AM   #14

Not currently working but will keep my CDL as long as possible. I still keep my med card current as well as it's not that difficult.

There a few reasons, but the biggest one is that many people in the bus conversion hobby will buy a seated coach to convert, and to drive it home you need a CDL with passenger endorsement. With my license I'm able to lend a hand when needed.

Who knows, I might decide to work for a while again and I'll be ready with license in hand.

The issue of steeper penalties or tighter restrictions doesn't bother me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
NJ took my CDL away because I didn't have proof of work that needed it. It took a few years but they took it.
Never heard of this happening. There is no requirement to have a job to apply for a CDL, and I've never been asked to verify this on any renewal. I went 20+ years not using the CDL for work including a period of time I let the med card lapse. For those years I just changed my tier status and carried on. License was still valid, just for a different category of driving. When I wanted to use the CDL for work I just got a new med card and changed my tier status again.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a