Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2019, 09:14 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Jayco Owners Club
Class A Diesel motorhome

Has anyone been in an accident with there class A where it was the other person that was at fault and the insurance company would not total it and are have it fixed and it has taken a year to get it fixed. How did you handle all your expenses and suffering cost.
vmelroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2019, 10:42 PM   #2

No. Why did it take so long to get fixed? To get the money or you took it to a crappy shop?
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:55 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Other persons fault, their insurance should cover all your expenses. Your fault, your cost.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmelroe View Post
Has anyone been in an accident with there class A where it was the other person that was at fault and the insurance company would not total it and are have it fixed and it has taken a year to get it fixed. How did you handle all your expenses and suffering cost.
Going through it now. It's been 4 months and 5 days since a young woman insured by Progressive turned in front of us. I just got the coach back on January 31st but it's still not fixed properly.
The claims adjuster dragged his feet causing my out of pocket expenses for lodging to roughly double. After promising 3 times to overnight FEDEX my reimbursement to my hotel and reneging 3 times they are now holding my reimbursement for more than $10,000 of out of pocket expenses hostage until I sign a Release Form saying I'm satisfied with the repairs.
My entry door is still warped and binding; my headlights are installed crooked and are electrically screwed up; my rear axles and wheel bearings have not been serviced to replace the lubricant lost by tow truck drivers who did not have the proper axle caps and my year old house batteries were discharged to 4.2 volts, charged up and discharged again to 6.6 volts.
I informed them I will not be coerced into signing a Release Form until I am made completely whole. I told the adjuster I would only communicate in the future with a supervisor, manager or department head.
I finally got a call from a supervisor today and received verbal assurances they would try to make it right.
What really frosts me is their insured probably got a rental car for a week until she bought a new car. She probably drove it to her court appearance for reckless driving. Meanwhile, I'm stuck in Colorado in snow and below zero temperatures.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:38 PM   #5

I almost forgot. Both my Primary and Secondary air systems are leaking excessively after being "repaired."
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:55 AM   #6

Seems a like the insurance Co. Is attempting to do the right thing.

I think, unfortunitly, that you need to go after the shop that did the work.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:31 AM   #7

Boy, hate to read stories like this. I'd recommend negotiating with the insurance company and getting permission to take it to another shop. I'd recommend a truck shop too, not a RV shop and definitely not a Camping World shop. Maybe one that has good reviews on RVServiceReviews.

Good luck!

PS I know it wouldn't help now, but whenever I need to make an insurance claim, I always mention that I'd rather not have to turn it over to my lawyers. That little white lie seems to have done some good with insurance companies over the years because I've never had to work very hard at getting proper handling of my claims. Luckily my claims have been few and far between so that helps too.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:40 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:

The accident happen in Georgia and I live in Houston Texas. The RV is being fixed at NIRV in lawenceville Georgia. It is just talking a long time to get parts from manufacturers. They are almost done on the outside of the RV then they have the inside to do next. After that it has to go to Freightliner to see if there is any damage under the coach besides an alignment. This accident happen on April 27 2018 NIRV didn’t get the coach until July it took the insurance company that long to figure out what they were going to do with it fix it or total it well it is being fixed.
vmelroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Other persons fault, their insurance should cover all your expenses. Your fault, your cost.
I agree. But when the at-fault person has minimum limits on insurance, there's not much there. Usually not enough. My case: I was sitting at a light and my truck got totaled. Her insurance had reached it's max BEFORE my truck value or 'wholeness' was reached. I'd have to get the difference from her in civil court. Not much hope when it's a 1-month sober out-of-work drug addict. Who caused everything because she was jonesing and on the phone.

But I had the right coverage on my insurance.
My insurance made this easy for me. Everything paid for by them, including reimbursement of deductible and an installed accessory that was not recoverable. Up to them to get what $$$ they can from Go-Auto and/or the person.

With some people, until it's legal to take it out of their hide, I'll carry the right insurance so I stay whole, fiscally if not mentally. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Seems a like the insurance Co. Is attempting to do the right thing.

I think, unfortunitly, that you need to go after the shop that did the work.

This sucks the life out of a person. The other person is at fault, yet you have to spend countless hours of your time to clean up the mess.
matt999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Sounds like it's time to get your insurance company involved since they have a vested interest in the motorhome's condition and value.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:57 AM   #11

Quote:
The accident happen in Georgia and I live in Houston Texas. The RV is being fixed at NIRV in lawenceville Georgia. It is just talking a long time to get parts from manufacturers. They are almost done on the outside of the RV then they have the inside to do next. After that it has to go to Freightliner to see if there is any damage under the coach besides an alignment. This accident happen on April 27 2018 NIRV didn’t get the coach until July it took the insurance company that long to figure out what they were going to do with it fix it or total it well it is being fixed.
Did some searching and found 136 reviews of NIRV. Reviews here. Many good reviews but nearly all of those are about the sales dept. The low number of negative service reviews sort of say that they do a pretty good job overall. So I withdraw my suggestion of taking it to a different shop.

They don't hire industry trained & certified technicians so I can understand if they take a bit longer on complex repair problems, and the low number of service complaints is a good sign that they pretty much know what they're doing and take pride in their workmanship.

Good luck, can't think of what you can do to hurry things along other than calling often and developing a relationship with the tech team working on it. Have some donuts and coffee delivered to them once in a while maybe?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:13 AM   #12

It there was serious damage to my coach my first call would be to my insurance company, the second one to a private adjuster. Google that.

Now, that said, I have never used one, only heard/read about them. Has anyone here have any experience they can relate?
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:34 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I had a very small accident - self inflicted - and chose NIRVC. They did a very good job fixing the cosmetic only damage. However, like any good shop they are swamped with work. Their good reputation actually works against them in this regard and makes it difficult for them to work you into their schedule in a timely fashion. Plus, I felt they gave priority to coaches they sold. Again, nothing new there.

Tags
class a, diesel, motorhome