Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2023, 12:29 PM   #1

Class A Diesel Pusher Tires

Hi all. I need to replace the tires on my Class A Itasaca motorhome. Any sugggestions. Tire prices have gone crazy. Has anyone purchased Sailun tire for their RV? Considering them for price but would like some input from others who may have bought and driven these tires. Your thoughts.
DanSebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2023, 01:15 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I put Toyo's on my Forza a year ago to replace the Michelins. Though they had a particular aroma at first, they drive well and handle great. Don't know about the Sailun tires, but be sure to search for tires on the forum as there are plenty of threads discussing pro's and con's of just about every tire brand.
Old 03-10-2023, 12:28 AM   #3

Sailun is an excellent tire. Quality is right up there with the best. There are several prominent forum members who highly recommend them.

However, as I've said on these tire threads for years on this forum, I personally will not buy a Sailun tire. Again, not because it is a poor quality tire but rather for my own personal geopolitical reasons.

Since many are sick of my continued posting of why I won't buy a Sailun tire, I won't repeat it here but if you are curious as to why, here are my most recent posts where I mention Sailun tires (and I also mention my favorite brands in other pasts of those threads too):

This POST

Bottom of this post

This POST

If you agree with me on my view of Chinese companies, I can mention again several other brands that are of comparable quality and price but if you don't care one way or the other, there's nothing at all wrong with a Sailun tire.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 12:38 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You didn't mention the size and load range tire you need, but there are surely many brands and price ranges. Sailun is fine (see theroc's reply) but some other good quality, lower-priced choices include Yokohama, Sumitomo, Toyo, Firestone & Cooper. None of them Chinese companies.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 12:32 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After ten years of use with my Yokohamas, I replaced with Yokohamas up front and Americus in the rear. When the old tires were replace at the ten year mark, the dealer and i inspected them. No signs of cracking at all or deteriorating.
Keep in mind I park next to my house with the jacks down and tires covered. Proper inflation is important as well. 295x75x22.5 16 ply
Old 03-15-2023, 07:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSebastian View Post
Hi all. I need to replace the tires on my Class A Itasaca motorhome. Any sugggestions. Tire prices have gone crazy. Has anyone purchased Sailun tire for their RV? Considering them for price but would like some input from others who may have bought and driven these tires. Your thoughts.
I bought Hercules, regional drive tires, they are comfortable and on the low sost aode. They actually have a truckers 100,000 mile warranty on the carcas. This is my second set ony replaced first which still were in good shape and about40K miles because of their age. Buyer Beware. they are Chinese,but they don't smell
ppsjrcpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 09:40 AM   #7

Tire choice has become somewhat subjective, unfortunately. There’s somebody out there somewhere who has had a positive experience with virtually every tire brand available. On the other side of that coin, there’s somebody out there somewhere who has had a negative experience with virtually every tire brand available. I like to speak with tire shops about their experience with different brands, and especially with mobile tire technicians. They are more likely to share their actual experience with various brands because they aren’t necessarily trying to sell something.

When people ask web forum members for advice and opinions on tires, they generally already know what they plan to buy. They come to forums like these looking for affirmation that they’ve made a good choice. Often times this occurs when a less expensive tire is chosen, or when a lesser know tire brand is chosen. It’s not too often that we see people asking if a Michelin or Continental tire is a good choice for an RV.

I prefer to focus on more objective data when considering a tire purchase, coupled with my own personal experience. The internet is a beautiful thing because it allows research on tire composition and construction, load ratings, ply ratings, warranty information, dealer network, price, availability, etc. I think that this is the place to start.

When I was shopping for tires last fall for my diesel pusher, a local shop initially recommended a set of Firestone tires. They were readily available and the price was low compared to some other brands. I did a bit of research, and quickly discovered that the Firestones didn’t carry the load or ply rating that I desired. I quickly ruled them out of consideration.

I have no issue with a less expensive or lesser known brand if it meets my requirements. Over the years, I’ve purchased Michelins, Goodyears, Continentals, Firestones, Yokohamas, Sumitomos, and more. Each of them have pros and cons. As I balance the pros and cons of each tire/brand with the price of each choice, I keep coming back to Michelin.

I think it’s important to consider the value that a tire gives you as a consumer, not just the price. I realize that Michelins have the highest price of the tire brands sold for RVs. In my personal experience, they provide the longest life, the best ride, the quietest driving experience, and I’ve personally never had a failure with a Michelin tire (I have with some other brands). For me, that’s value that is worth paying a higher price. My latest tire purchase was the Michelin X Multi Z. I’m very pleased with it.

If I had to rank my preference for RV tires, my top 3 are as follows:

1. Michelin
2. Continental
3. Goodyear

There are discount programs that help with the price of expensive tires. I utilized the Michelin Advantage program through FMCA when I bought my tires. This program saved me almost $100 per tire, all things considered.

Good luck with your decision. We all have different requirements and I’m sure you’ll find something that suits your needs.
Old 03-15-2023, 10:05 AM   #8
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer
You didn't mention the size and load range tire you need, ...
Right. There is at least one size, the 365/80R22.5 I think it is, that only Michelin makes and for which there is no comparable replacement that will carry the same weight. They seem to be in very short supply and I've read posts from people who were parked for days to weeks until a replacement was found. A few people said they would never buy a motorhome with that size tire again due to the limited supply.

Ray

Tags
class a, diesel, tire, tires