Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2017, 12:56 PM   #1

Class A Diesel Pushers and Gravel Roads

We are looking at purchasing a new motor home but we like to visit some of the more out of the way spots which are sometimes on gravel roads.

We have been told that the diesel pushers have radiator problems like rocks causing pinholes in the rad from driving on gravel roads.

I'd like to hear from diesel pusher owners on if this is a problem or not?

Thanks in advance.
Rascal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2017, 01:00 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Not a PD owner (yet) - but I would think with the radiator in the back it would be more "protected" than if the engine/radiator was in the front.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:04 PM   #3

Rear radiator gets pummmelt from gravel kicked up. Side radiator is safer, stays cleaner in any just about any environment [i think]!
gerdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:07 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal3 View Post
We are looking at purchasing a new motor home but we like to visit some of the more out of the way spots which are sometimes on gravel roads.

We have been told that the diesel pushers have radiator problems like rocks causing pinholes in the rad from driving on gravel roads.

I'd like to hear from diesel pusher owners on if this is a problem or not?

Thanks in advance.
As a rule of thumb, rear radiator coaches have a lot more debris and dirt in the radiators vs a side radiator. Many people take off the rear rock flap (full with flap that sometimes has a logo or name on it) to help keep rocks and debris off you toad.

Have you considered going with a side radiator?
windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:28 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
As stated above, go with a side radiator and all will be good.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:38 PM   #6

Not only do the rear radiators get hit with debris, air intake sucks up all the dust.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:13 PM   #7

We have driven to Alaska 7 times with diesel pusher motorhomes. Most of our personal experience was with side radiator motorhomes. We never had a problem with our radiators. The only experience we participated in was a rock in a friend's side radiator. We also took 4 RV caravans to Alaska with lots of motorhomes as well as 5th wheels and trailers. No on one our caravans had any radiator problems, front or rear in motorhomes, or in trucks towing tag alongs. Personally I wouldn't let the problem of rear radiators bother me in purchasing a motorhome. Find one you like and can afford, and go for it!!

Ed Headington
2013 Ventana LE motorhome
Ed Headington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:14 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
We put 75,000 trouble free miles on our last rear radiator DP. It does kick up a lot of dust but go slow. The side radiator is better but is going to be on a much more expensive motor home.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:01 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It must be that "side radiator" pusher owners don't know much about a "rear radiator" . The only way a rock can get to the radiator is if it goes through the fan after it gets past the engine and the CAC. The radiator is in back of the CAC and sometime the TRans cooler. What you may end up with is a lot of debris such a leaves which can follow air currents through the fan.

Look at radiator replacements within irv and see what can accumulate between the CAC and Radiator. here is what I found in mine last year. Also drive on a lot of dirt road, gravel roads and autumn leaf covered woods roads
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/clea...ac-341232.html
Old 08-30-2017, 04:13 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I bought and installed an expanded metal shield for the side radiator in our '02 DSDP with Spartan chassis. Spartan had it in stock when I was there but wouldn't install it for me. When I cleaned the radiator stack I took it off and never put it back. It's still out on the back deck although it did crack in several places and pieces have fallen off.
Sometimes rocks can get in and bounce off the fan blades. Sometimes that breaks the blades, sometimes the ricochet off and hit the radiator or sometimes they miss altogether.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:55 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Class A Diesel Pushers and Gravel Roads

If you search the forums, you'll find many talking about the rear vanity/mud flap kicking up debris on the road which gets into the radiator and peppers the toad. We've been at this MH&Toad game only about a year so don't have data ourselves, but it concerned me enough that I removed our flap. We're a rear-radiator family.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:07 PM   #12

Foretravel Owners Club
One thing to consider ... is that with a side mounted radiator you will have direct access to your pusher engine without having to "work around" the rear mounted cooling systems... just a thought......
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:09 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tear radiator here. We often boondock down dirt and gravel roads in the Southwest. No problems to date.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:21 PM   #14

We have done thousands of km on gravel and dirt roads and when I had to remove the radiator to replace the water pump there wasn't a single rock caught down the bottom of the shroud next to the radiator/CAC and that is where they would end up if indeed they could get to hit the radiator/CAC in the first place.

Urban myth.

Tags
class a, diesel