Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2018, 08:15 AM   #85

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Traveler View Post
I run the speed limit up to 70 mph. However, fuel mileage suffers badly above 65.
I agree with traveler , but i think fuel mileage suffers over 62
Dave9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2018, 08:22 AM   #86

comfort zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram-Man View Post
What is a comfortable speed on the interstate that you feel and your coach feels is a good cruising speed on a long distance? I know there are a lot of variables as to each person would have their own comfort level but more interested in knowing what the coach is comfortable with without really having to push it and having to really " drive it ". I hope the question makes sense. Thanks

I used to drive 65 until a front driver's side blowout, now it's about 58.
strato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:47 AM   #87

Country Coach Owners Club
I like 60 on secondary roads (or Less) and 65 on interstates. #1 my TOAD is limited to 65 while in tow and it puts me below the speed most truckers like to maintain. Cruse control at 64 is even better. (Did I mention I hate 18 wheelers on the interstate) Thats why I take secondary highways when they go my direction.
wkessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:22 AM   #88

60-62. Transmission up shifts to high right at 60 & rpm’s are exactly at max torque
moorwoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:18 AM   #89

A couple things I thought of after my previous post:

Winds play a fairly important part of how fast I try to drive. It was really apparent up on I-80 and I-90 when the wind speeds would get up in the 30s gusting to 40s. Very noticeable noise difference between the headwind and tailwind on those days, and when it was a crosswind, it was even more important to me that I drive at a more conservative speed cause those gusts could really be felt at freeway speeds. The speed limit up there is 75, and the only times I really got close to that was on a few downgrades that were straight enough to let the speed build. We spend most of our time below I-20 where the winds are quite so strong don’t affect the stability and cabin noise nearly as much.

And I notice a frequent reference about speed selection is max torque or some other performance specification. Peak torque rpm (or Hp) doesn’t really tell the whole story when it comes to power. I recently became aware that Silverleaf Electronics offers a low-end (budget minded) product that I think would be of interest to anyone who wants to drive their vehicle in a way that optimizes the engine/trans performance for whatever their individual goal might be, such as fuel economy / fuel range, or best power, etc. It’s worth a look at their website to see if you might be interested. Last I looked they didn’t support iOS, so it doesn’t work for me, but I would appreciate being able to reference numbers like EGT & TIT, fuel flow, etc.
Bat4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:22 AM   #90

I find that 62-63 is about right most of the time on the Interstates. If I go any faster I am often in a pack of cars and trucks and heavier traffic. By going a little slower, the other traffic seems to pass in waves where I have long stretches with no one around me. In addition, the fuel mileage is much better. Besides, what's the hurry? Isn't going at your own pace what this is all about?
Mocha Latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:25 AM   #91

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkessinger View Post
I like 60 on secondary roads (or Less) and 65 on interstates. #1 my TOAD is limited to 65 while in tow and it puts me below the speed most truckers like to maintain. Cruse control at 64 is even better. (Did I mention I hate 18 wheelers on the interstate) Thats why I take secondary highways when they go my direction.
Being a New England'er Traveling anywhere north of Massachusetts on I91, I95 or I89 or any Interstate up here, its 75-80+ at the bottom of the hill 60 at the top (or less with some MH's). I would rather take a two lane road and do 50 than do that type of trip. I really think most coach driver are afraid of using secondary roads, not me, I grew up on these roads and know where my passenger side tires are at all times.............if your drivers tires are over the yellow line, its fair game as to who will lose the battle of the mirrors. Just think of all the scenery, places and things you would miss out on by taking the highway. Its the inessential road for me, Just watch out for the overpasses, weight restrictions and low bridges
Old 10-15-2018, 10:34 AM   #92

Tiffin Owners Club
Were can I find all these freightliner and cummins “curves” that some are quoting, regarding speed and RPM?
Joe
jmltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:21 AM   #93

Our coach is comfortable at 75 but I am comfortable at 65.

I just put new Koni EVO front shocks on and the difference in handling and comfort over the old, worn Bilsteins is remarkable so I have to consciously keep the speed down to 65 for the best fuel mileage.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:16 PM   #94

Winnebago Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Interstate speed

Interstate speed
62 to 64 best mileage also
Jpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:29 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram-Man View Post
What is a comfortable speed on the interstate that you feel and your coach feels is a good cruising speed on a long distance? I know there are a lot of variables as to each person would have their own comfort level but more interested in knowing what the coach is comfortable with without really having to push it and having to really " drive it ". I hope the question makes sense. Thanks
Could I chirp in here for Class-C's? I have a 2004 27' Jayco DS and I pull a toad (1996 Ford 4 dr Torus). Running a V-10 with a Banks Conversion. I set my cruise at 65, if I get a long hill coming I drop it out of cruise, hold the accelerator till shifts down one. I get over most long hills at 55 without letting it shift down again. Tack rarely gets above 3,500. Real tough hills take a little more finesse to keep it below 4,000 rpm. Still get around 7.5 to 8 mpg. Got 62,000 miles on the old girl now.
JohnnyStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:31 PM   #96

My toad is max at 65 so I do about 60-65 and is better on fuel, but my DP can do 70-75 with no issues.
Danesrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:39 PM   #97

Buy a good set of Michelin tires and you don't need to worry about blowouts. I had 3 tire failures with Badyears, but never a Michelin failure. The left front blowout nearly took me clear across the median into oncoming traffic. After nearly 30 years of RVing the best advice I have, is never try to save money on tires. There is a reason most if not all the more expensive coaches come with Michelin tires.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:02 PM   #98

I run a 35 ft. dp and find 60-63 mph works great for me plus I average 8.5 mpg.
Maverick_2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a