Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2018, 07:26 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel odor View Post
You described my ex 1987 Vogue with the 8.2 Detroit Diesel v-8 perfectly. 230 Hp and maybe 430 foot pounds of torque with a 4 speed tranny.. Built like a tank, however I nominate it as the slowest diesel ever!P
Ever drive a Vixen?
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2018, 07:41 PM   #30

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
.....as usual, Dutch Star Don has it just right--ISL400/450, jake brake, and MH3000 Allison in a 40ft coach--PERFECT!
Hmmm, no mention of the ISM-450/500 and MH4000 series of allison...
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:52 PM   #31

I'm a firm believer that "more is better" I don't always have to use it (450hp) but if I need it's there! Last year coming back from our road trip, traveling at 65 mph, everyone and thier brother was passing me, rvs and truckers alike. I didn't care I was in vacation mode, the first long hill we came to I passed them all back, all doing 65 miles per hour. Plus (and I don't mean to brag but) I also hold the unofficial "IRV2 Diesel Pusher Land Speed Record". 0 to 60 in 19.88 seconds, I'm still waiting for the trophy!
Mobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:58 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Ever drive a Vixen?
If you are talking about a motor home, then no. [emoji41] [emoji41]
diesel odor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:38 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The problem I have is wanting a motor comfortable climbing mountains as well as running the prairies. My DW and I like to do between 250 and 300 miles a day so foing the posted is not a very big deal to us. My gasser was fine for our needs when we were just traveling around the province going fishing and camping but now that we have acquired the wanderlust bug we want to travel and enjoy ourselves. We have been over some 8000 foot passes in the gasser but it was not always comfortable. Thanks for all the guidance provided by your experiences; greatly appreciated.
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:58 PM   #34

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eez Moose View Post
The problem I have is wanting a motor comfortable climbing mountains as well as running the prairies. My DW and I like to do between 250 and 300 miles a day so foing the posted is not a very big deal to us. My gasser was fine for our needs when we were just traveling around the province going fishing and camping but now that we have acquired the wanderlust bug we want to travel and enjoy ourselves. We have been over some 8000 foot passes in the gasser but it was not always comfortable. Thanks for all the guidance provided by your experiences; greatly appreciated.
Just keep your eye peeled @ the normal Nacogdoces sites...and be ready to pull the trigger with checkbook in hand...The desirable ones won't even hit the lot more that a week or three before they are sold..
Also keep a close eye on the for sale by owners on the Foreforum...
When you least expect it..At the worst possible time...Yours will show up! be ready.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:18 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
I believe that the 2000 Safari Panther was nearly a twin of my 2000 Beaver Patriot Thunder. Many subsystems were the same, but the Panther, I think, had a fully hydraulic braking system compared to the air-over-hydraulic in my Beaver.

As for engines the 425HP is developed by a Cat C-12 with 1550 Ft-lbs of torque! It's a dream to drive because my GVWR is ~34,000 lbs with a GCWR of ~37,000 lbs. So the HP to weight ratio is ~1.22/100 lbs which makes it sort of a sports car! We accelerate off the line in an almost car-like fashion. No, you don't have to have that much power or torque, but it is a lot of fun!

If I can answer any other questions for the OP, he can post them or send them via PM.

Joel (AkA docj)
Yep! you likely won't find a 40' coach with more HP/weight. In addition to what Joel mentioned it will also have a Allison 4000 series transmission and a 3 stage jake.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:38 AM   #36

Let's get serious here folks. Having just retired from the tractor pull circuit, I decided to drop one of my twin turbo 3000hp, that's right, three thousand, engines into my rig. Had to remove all the holding tanks to add more fuel capacity, so I travel with a case of bottled water and a camp toilet. Use baby wipes instead of taking showers. This baby can toast $2000 worth of Michelin's in under 60 seconds, so when you guys pull off your 5 year old tires hang on to them for me. It's such a blast.

The single turbo 2000hp engine is going in the wife's mini van after a few suspension upgrades. There will just be enough room for her inside. The groceries will go in a special aero container on the roof which is through bolted to the roll cage. I may learn to love grocery shopping after all.

Next up is fusion powered rig from a decommissioned submarine. The sub is now a guest house in the back yard. Still waiting to hear back from my buddy Elon about an 8 wheel drive coach powered with 6 electric motors, fed off a 16MW lithium battery bank, recharged by 2MW solar array. That should be something off the line, and less prone to wheelies like what I have now.

I have an ISX too, just the 600hp version as it's less likely to explode. That's for my generator.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:45 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Let's get serious here folks. Having just retired from the tractor pull circuit, I decided to drop one of my twin turbo 3000hp, that's right, three thousand, engines into my rig. Had to remove all the holding tanks to add more fuel capacity, so I travel with a case of bottled water and a camp toilet. Use baby wipes instead of taking showers. This baby can toast $2000 worth of Michelin's in under 60 seconds, so when you guys pull off your 5 year old tires hang on to them for me. It's such a blast.

The single turbo 2000hp engine is going in the wife's mini van after a few suspension upgrades. There will just be enough room for her inside. The groceries will go in a special aero container on the roof which is through bolted to the roll cage. I may learn to love grocery shopping after all.

Next up is fusion powered rig from a decommissioned submarine. The sub is now a guest house in the back yard. Still waiting to hear back from my buddy Elon about an 8 wheel drive coach powered with 6 electric motors, fed off a 16MW lithium battery bank, recharged by 2MW solar array. That should be something off the line, and less prone to wheelies like what I have now.

I have an ISX too, just the 600hp version as it's less likely to explode. That's for my generator.
Are you the same owner with the Rolls Royce 12 CYL powering your bass boat?

Enjoyed the chuckle - thanks!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:39 AM   #38

American Coach Owners Club
When looking at DPs, I did notice that under 360HP, the engines were similar in design to pickup engines. Over 360HP are industrial engines.
AE Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:19 AM   #39

Well my 40k MH with 500 hp Cummins will out run my friends 30k MH with 400 hp Cat.
I've never heard any one say they wish they didn't have so much HP.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:18 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Exhaust brake is either on or off. If you have more than that you have an engine compression brake.
The C9 went with a variable vane turbo when they started using the DPF exhaust and the turbo itself is the exhaust brake so maybe thats why I have 2 control switches, one says "exhaust brake" and the other says "lo-hi". I usually only use low unless coming down a mountain. There is no noise or vibration like you get with a"Jake".

Here is an even more bizarre item, most 2007 and 2008s with the Cat engine have a Cat CX28 transmission! The only way to tell is to look at it or there sometimes is a small CAT emblem on the aft end of the shift control panel. I've asked my dealer about it and they said it's in most military vehicles and super reliable.

Dan
Captain Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:24 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Are you the same owner with the Rolls Royce 12 CYL powering your bass boat?

Enjoyed the chuckle - thanks!
Smitty
I had it for one season. There were some weight distribution issues. Turns out the Sub-Zero Kegerator used as ballast on the bow wasn't as effective as designed once the beer level fell below half. In some cases we took on a lot of water. Fortunately, the big block jet boat engine used for trolling was set up to operate as a bilge pump as well. Quite effective and a spectacular show that the kids loved to see.

The hovercraft I use now is fantastic. It blows the fish out of the water where they lay stunned on the surface. Just scoop up the big ones with a net and head back to the campground. The others seem to recover just fine after a few minutes. This set up also eliminates the hassle of taking the boat on and off a trailer every time we head out.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:30 PM   #42

My diesel might be on the wrong end but I like a front engine ;47' Showhauler, 40,000 pounds, 600 horsepower, 1850 foot pounds of torque and a 12 speed I-shift transmission.
Bham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, power