Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2021, 08:48 PM   #1

Class A - Drivers Mirror - Out front of RV or Beside Driver - Thoughts?

2008 Class A DP

I've noticed new Class A's have the drivers mirror mounted on the side of the RV

Whereas Class A's just a few years old both mirrors were mounted on the front of the RV .... and most have the Mirrors set ... out in front of the RV ....

But some of the owners of the RVs with mirrors mounted on the front .... pull the drivers side mirror back and inboard closer to the side of the RV

See pictures attached.

For RVs with mirrors mounted on the front .... what are the advantages to pulling the drivers mirror towards the back and inboard?

Also ... does mounting the mirror on the side make a lot of difference in addition?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iRV2 mirrors post 210515.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	328409   Click image for larger version

Name:	iRV2 mirrors post 210515 a.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	328410  

swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2021, 09:11 PM   #2

In the two top pictures, it is driver’s preference on whether or not to move the left mirror back or leave it out front. Personally, I prefer the front position as it allows use of the mirror with little or no head movement, just eye shifts.

In the bottom picture, that coach has a flatter front windshield and the A-pillar would obstruct the mirror for the driver if it was in a forward position. The side mount is a necessity in that coach design.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:41 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ljwt330 said:
"Personally, I prefer the front position as it allows use of the mirror with little or no head movement, just eye shifts."

I agree.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:36 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
I have that exact coach in your first picture on the right. I keep my DS mirror as far forward as possible for the same reason as LJWT, but the A pillar doesn't allow it to be seen as far forward as I would like. It does make the mirror stand out a little farther from the coach. Some pull theirs back to the side so they get a better view and keep it closer to the coach so it's not as wide.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:37 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My previous Tiffin had the DS mirror out front inline with the PS and it was fine but I could only have my TPMS down low on the left side of the dash. That meant my navigation device and, at the time, my Silverleaf VMSpc were located to the right of the steering wheel.

My current Tiffin has the DS mirror set back and I have come to prefer this location. I have my TPMS, navigation device and now BlueFire running on an iPad attached to the left A pillar.

Now I can just glance to my left and see most of the important things I want to see other than the rear view camera.

I do however understand it's a matter of personal preference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2518.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	659.9 KB
ID:	328416  
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 05:37 AM   #6

A mirror on the side will get reflections from the driver’s side window (in some light situations) making it difficult to see what’s in the mirror. Moving a mirror that’s supposed to be out front, to the side results in it being further out from the MH than necessary... same with one mounted on the side.

Mirrors out front do not need to be as far apart as many adjust them. Only 2/3 of the mirror needs to be outside the edge/side of the MH as you are not looking straight back. In tight places a couple inches does make a difference.
Sandy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 06:33 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy12 View Post
A mirror on the side will get reflections from the driverís side window (in some light situations) making it difficult to see whatís in the mirror. Moving a mirror thatís supposed to be out front, to the side results in it being further out from the MH than necessary... same with one mounted on the side.
That has been my experience. Also found out coming across the US Mexico border they were too wide to pass through US Customs. I had to get my tools out and move the mirrors to the front which closed that lane for a while.

I like them a lot better in front.
Old 05-16-2021, 06:39 AM   #8

There is no "here is the perfect exterior mirror mount for all coaches and drivers.

Quite a lot of that depends on driver height and where the seat is positioned.

Play with mirror arm position (if you have the adjustable arms) for YOUR best viewing angle.
Old 05-16-2021, 12:16 PM   #9

What I've noticed is that some coaches have a more flat windshield and mirrors out the side window. Other coaches have a windshield that wraps around the corner more with the corner post farther back, and likely a mirror up front.
I have a flat windshield and you can't see the mirror through the corner post when the mirror is rotated to an up front position. It has little to do with where the mirror is attached to the coach, it's the location of the corner post.
Old 05-16-2021, 03:58 PM   #10

“ it's the location of the corner post.” or the length of the arms.
Old 05-16-2021, 05:23 PM   #11
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Having spent decades being stuck in the driver's seat of transit buses, I insist on the left mirror being on the side. If you notice, just about all city transit buses will have the left mirror mounted in the side position no matter if it's mounted toward the bottom of the driver's window or in a drop-down position ...the vast majority of city transit buses have their left mirrors mounted in this position and have ever since I can remember.

The reasoning is that you want the mirror head as close to your eyes as possible. I can't imagine maneuvering in and out of tight spots and heavy, big-city traffic with a left mirror mounted any other way. For a motorhome that's not doing those types of driving maneuvers constantly the way a city transit bus is doing, I do agree it's probably a preference thing.

eta: the third photo would be my preference as one of the other factors in driving transit buses is that you want the mirrors as close to the side of the coach as is possible. Mirror heads that extend more than an inch or so past the side of the coach present a hazard for the mirror making contact with other objects or vehicles ...or vice versa. I've seen plenty of bus mirrors be taken off by passing trucks or delivery vans because the bus driver didn't pull the arm in to a position where the mirror head was closer to the side of the coach.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 06:56 PM   #12

I want the convex mirror as far forward and as low as possible so I can see more of the blind spot.
Old 05-17-2021, 12:16 AM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My Diplomat had the DS mirror out front and you looked at it through the windshield. I preferred this position, as on hot days with the sun beating in the driver's window, I could pull the shade (while on the freeway) and still see my side mirror. It also matched the other side for us more anal guys.

My current coach has it on the side. It still offers the same view, but I've had to become more creative to block the sun on that side. The side mounted mirrors offer two positions, folded back against the glass and the way I have mine set, folded forward. I found when it was folded back, I got wind deflecting off the mirror, thumping the side window.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:20 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A mirror closer to you gives a wider view of things behind you and better depth perception.
It only takes a microsecond more time to look to the side.
When backing up with a glare from the windshield, lower the front window shade.

Tags
class a, driver