Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2016, 04:58 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I really have to laugh at the recent threads on this issue, especially since the OP posted a pic of an RV interior with opposing couches. Just where else, in the RV pictured, would he suggest the TV be mounted so that it could be seen from both couches?

I guess for full timers that typically have only 2 people in the RV, installing the TV across from one couch and above the other would be fine, but many of us have more than 2 people in the coach. For us, the only logical placement is centered I the front; it allows viewing from the couch (on the PS), the dinette (on the DS), and both (swiveled) front cab seats.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2016, 05:00 PM   #16

What I would really like to do is make use of the most expensive seats we have on the motorhome; the driver and passenger seats. These are very comfortable, have power everything including footrests, but get little use when we are parked. So my idea would be to have a drop down 60" screen mid coach and a TV projector mounted above the windshield. That way you could not only get a good view from the captain's chairs but you even have spare seats for visitors on movie night! The screen disappears when not in use so you have full view through front and side windows during the daytime. I am sure Newell could offer this if I had the money.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 04:54 AM   #17

That's fine if you want movies at home. I think you will find many to most of us want the evening news, more to the point the weather, to plan the next day. That does not need a lot of screen size. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 06:06 AM   #18

The OP was talking about placement of the TV in modern $500k motorhomes. In most of these there are at least 3 TV's if not 4 varying in size from 40" to 50". Plus they all have satellite receivers, so I don't think they are being used to watch the local news and weather. I think most people use their computers for that.
Maybe all those TV's is the answer to the OP's question, everyone can sit directly in front of their own TV and no head turning required.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 06:53 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with the OP. If I end up buying a used DP and it has opposing sofa's the smallest one will be remove where I can install a TV and maybe even a fireplace. I have not use for two sofa's. The other sofa would most likely be swapped out to recliners also.

If I buy something new it will have the TV across from the main seating area.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 07:01 AM   #20

One last comment.

I posted this and from reading many of the responses I guess I didn't make how I feel very clear or why I feel this way clear. I also think the picture i found isn't representative of a good sampling of the floor plans i have scoured endlessly. I also found it interesting that even one person felt the need to say I must not be very smart. (Where else would you put a TV LOL)

It was probably a bad idea to post this, I didn't intend to rile people up, I was just curious if this was something only that I saw and bothered me or if others felt the same way. Just a conversation piece because I look at floor plans a lot, search through manufactures web sites, mostly for fun and for an education of what there is out there in the world of RV's. My wife and I enjoy going to large RV lots and looking inside all the RV's. Anyway thank you for the many posts that explains why so many like the way things are set up, that's what great about finding a floor plan that fits for you, there are plenty of them.

1.When I vacation for the winter in Florida I see a LOT of huge RV's with only two retired people living in them mostly. So I assumed this is a common thing for lg RV use, maybe I am wrong. It's just how I formed my perspective. I was thinking also more long term stay use too. I didn't think a very large RV was most used as a weekend camper but more for an extended stay or extended journey purpose. (Gone for months, not a week end or week at a time) I mean I realize there are all user ages, family size, types and uses for them, just that the big ones I see are not usually family coaches.
2. I understand you can modify a coach, but it isn't mentioned in the floorplans and if you can it is very high end coaches only that allows for changes. And it seems for half a million dollars you wouldn't have to or want to tear out perfectly good furniture to correct a layout issue, it would be right the first time. At least that is how I think about it.
3. I was talking about new manufactured coaches. (I had a 2008 before and that had a CRT which I controverted to 32" LED.
4. I don't need to fix my existing coach, I have one that has a chair and couch on one side of opposing slides, a buffet/table with chairs on the opposite side and a LG TV that retracts into the buffet. We have 3 TV'sthe other two are in the bedroom and one for the ext entertainment center.
5. Also my point isn't that all these other floor plans, double couches are wrong, just that what I was looking for is not a common option for a floor plan and many manufacturers don't even offer it or the idea.

Thanks everyone for your perspectives added to the conversation and hope you all have a great Christmas!
KTM251ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 07:51 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM251ss View Post
Here is a photo of a $500K+ diesel RV. I see countless floor plans like this where the TV is located at a 90 degree angle to the seating. (Sometimes it's on the center area facing to the front of the RV instead) Who watches their TV like this? When we set up our homes don't we place the TV somewhat in front of the seating so we can view comfortably? It just boggles my mind at how many very high end RV floor plans resemble this situation where the TV isn't placed in a good viewing angle.

This was a priority when we bought our most recent RV as I have had neck surgery and I can't turn my head very much, there is no way I could sit and turn my head that far to watch TV.

Am I carzy for thinking this way?
Rant over.
Solution (1) ONE - lie on the Sofa or Love Seat and look up at the TV - Problem - means Coach was built for TWO (2)

Solution (2) TWO - Read a book. Really not that good if you like to watch TV.

Solution (3) THREE - Find a Coach with the Mid Station TV - then you can watch the Big Screen, at eye level from the most comfortable seats in the house, Pilot and Co-Pilot.

2007 Travel Supreme 45DL14, Class A - Diesel RV For Sale in Westminster, California | DDRV - Westminster C0221M | RVT.com - 165385

2007 Travel Supreme 42DL, Class A - Diesel RV For Sale in Spring, Texas | Top Choice RV 07TS | RVT.com - 122929

JMHO,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:28 AM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Everything about an RV is a compromise. Working with a 9' wide by 30'+ long box the options are limited. A per 2007 coach there pretty much wasn't an option due to the size and weight of TVs.

Want direct viewing of a large format TV what do you want to give up? Kitchen counter space, a window, the second loveseat or couch? Watching TV is a few places down on the list of needs and wants when on the road in the coach. Placing it above the windshield has the least impact of the overall functionality of the limited wall of floor space of a coach.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 03:29 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
The OP was talking about placement of the TV in modern $500k motorhomes. In most of these there are at least 3 TV's if not 4 varying in size from 40" to 50". Plus they all have satellite receivers, so I don't think they are being used to watch the local news and weather. I think most people use their computers for that.
Maybe all those TV's is the answer to the OP's question, everyone can sit directly in front of their own TV and no head turning required.
They would be at our house. We don't do much TV anywhere. Too many better ways to spend time. From what I have seen a lot of people think the same way for various reasons.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 07:38 AM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Quote:
I posted this and from reading many of the responses I guess I didn't make how I feel very clear or why I feel this way clear. I also think the picture i found isn't representative of a good sampling of the floor plans i have scoured endlessly. I also found it interesting that even one person felt the need to say I must not be very smart. (Where else would you put a TV LOL)

It was probably a bad idea to post this, I didn't intend to rile people up, I was just curious if this was something only that I saw and bothered me or if others felt the same way. Just a conversation piece because I look at floor plans a lot, search through manufactures web sites, mostly for fun and for an education of what there is out there in the world of RV's. My wife and I enjoy going to large RV lots and looking inside all the RV's. Anyway thank you for the many posts that explains why so many like the way things are set up, that's what great about finding a floor plan that fits for you, there are plenty of them.

1.When I vacation for the winter in Florida I see a LOT of huge RV's with only two retired people living in them mostly. So I assumed this is a common thing for lg RV use, maybe I am wrong. It's just how I formed my perspective. I was thinking also more long term stay use too. I didn't think a very large RV was most used as a weekend camper but more for an extended stay or extended journey purpose. (Gone for months, not a week end or week at a time) I mean I realize there are all user ages, family size, types and uses for them, just that the big ones I see are not usually family coaches.
2. I understand you can modify a coach, but it isn't mentioned in the floorplans and if you can it is very high end coaches only that allows for changes. And it seems for half a million dollars you wouldn't have to or want to tear out perfectly good furniture to correct a layout issue, it would be right the first time. At least that is how I think about it.
3. I was talking about new manufactured coaches. (I had a 2008 before and that had a CRT which I controverted to 32" LED.
4. I don't need to fix my existing coach, I have one that has a chair and couch on one side of opposing slides, a buffet/table with chairs on the opposite side and a LG TV that retracts into the buffet. We have 3 TV'sthe other two are in the bedroom and one for the ext entertainment center.
5. Also my point isn't that all these other floor plans, double couches are wrong, just that what I was looking for is not a common option for a floor plan and many manufacturers don't even offer it or the idea.

Thanks everyone for your perspectives added to the conversation and hope you all have a great Christmas!
We are looking at floor plans to upgrade our coach and agree with you.
Two that we have found are the Forest River Charleston and the Holiday Rambler Scepter 43g. They both have the fireplace and TV up front and across from the coach.

We have found with earlier campers we have owned, that we get a stiff neck if watching a movie with the head turned to the left or right. Guess it's an age thing
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:09 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
We are looking at floor plans to upgrade our coach and agree with you.
Two that we have found are the Forest River Charleston and the Holiday Rambler Scepter 43g. They both have the fireplace and TV up front and across from the coach.

We have found with earlier campers we have owned, that we get a stiff neck if watching a movie with the head turned to the left or right. Guess it's an age thing
We love the Mid Station TV - but still use the front one, - sometimes at the same time - I tend to want to be comfortable in a seat/captains chair, watching the large Mid Station TV while the DW enjoys curling up on the Loveseat and looking up at the TV in front.

Get what works for you! then enjoy seeing the USA.

Best of Luck and Merry Christmas and a Safe and Happy New Year.

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 01:25 PM   #26

American Coach Owners Club
Only the 2 of us usually, we each get a sofa, lie down, relax & look up... No problem!
Lisablue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 04:03 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I also found it interesting that even one person felt the need to say I must not be very smart. (Where else would you put a TV LOL)
I assume that was directed at me, although I never said you weren't very smart. I DID ask where else would you put a TV that could be seen from any/all seats? And I still feel that way. While you now say that the pic you posted wasn't really a good representation, you DID in fact post it, so...

Again, for 2 people, full-timing, perhaps you are right (and plenty of others here agree with you). However, many RVs (yes, even the big ones) are NOT full-timers but instead families. I typically have at least 4-6 people in my RV, 3-4 day weekends each time, and while most time is spent outside (with the ATVs or watercraft), we also occasionally retire to inside for a move or something. As someone else pointed out, the front overhead location of the main TV is the least intrusive in an otherwise limited space, and the only spot that typically allows viewing from every seat in the RV, albeit perhaps not at the most comfortable angle.

In any case, everyone has a different perspective, needs, and wants. Thankfully, there are alot of choices out there.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 04:21 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
The location of our TV being directly across from the "L" shaped sofa and at eye level more then anything sold us on our current unit being as next summer it will be Our Home. Until I saw the Winnebago 40U I had completely ruled out motor homes because of the 90 degree from seating TV angle IMO that is totally retarded to put a TV like that especially in units that are destined for the most part to be full time homes.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a