Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2016, 01:54 PM   #1

Class A floorplan rant.

Here is a photo of a $500K+ diesel RV. I see countless floor plans like this where the TV is located at a 90 degree angle to the seating. (Sometimes it's on the center area facing to the front of the RV instead) Who watches their TV like this? When we set up our homes don't we place the TV somewhat in front of the seating so we can view comfortably? It just boggles my mind at how many very high end RV floor plans resemble this situation where the TV isn't placed in a good viewing angle.

This was a priority when we bought our most recent RV as I have had neck surgery and I can't turn my head very much, there is no way I could sit and turn my head that far to watch TV.

Am I carzy for thinking this way?
Rant over.
Attached Images

KTM251ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2016, 02:03 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Putting a TV behind either the sofa or love seat is frequently done and solves the problem. However that precludes anyone from sitting in those seats to watch. I've seen plenty of coaches where the sofa has been replaced with individual recliners. These can be turned so you're not having to turn your neck when watching TV, and for $500k+ manufacturers will set it up as you wish. Even lower price coaches can have it done.
Old 12-24-2016, 02:45 PM   #3

Yes, I've seen a lot of coaches with the TV 90 deg to the seating arrangement, especially in the year range I'm looking at - pre 2010. The good news is that is seems the manufactures are getting the message and have come up with some creative furniture and TV placement options.

For an older coach or one with the 90 deg problem, placing a TV behind one of the couches is an option. They make a kit that allows the TV to stow behind the couch and then raises when in use. It's stowed behind a thin cabinet behind the couch.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 02:48 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We had the same problem! This is the way we solved it!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/the-...ne-136185.html

Merry Christmas!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 02:53 PM   #5

Joe, I read your post several months ago and have booked marked it for future use. Very nice job.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 03:03 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 37" TV above the dash. Two separate recliner chairs and a couch. We move one of the recliner chairs to the center of the coach, directly facing the TV. The other recliner is off to the side in the DS slides, and angled towards the TV. This arrangement works fine for us.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 03:13 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
With the advent of flat screen televisions, it's odd to see floor plans where the TV is located perpendicular to the primary seating areas.

Personally, I like a televator. I like to watch TV as much as the next guy, but having a huge TV dominating the space strikes me as contrary to the reason I RV. There when I need it, out of sight when I don't.
Waywards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 03:19 PM   #8

Was a similar topic recently. Anyhow if you want two couches you need a tv up front. Our coach has one there and a linked tv on lift behind the smaller couch.

Shucks at home some of our seating is 90 to face on to the tv.

Tom
Old 12-24-2016, 03:31 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
We love the Entegra 44b or 45b the TV is at an angle facing the side. The price is good from $200k to $450kfor NEW. Take a good look!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160606_083116 [112688].jpg
Views:	265
Size:	519.2 KB
ID:	147376  
Anthem46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 03:49 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Joe, I read your post several months ago and have booked marked it for future use. Very nice job.

Thanks Tim! We've really enjoyed it!
Old 12-24-2016, 03:58 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
We don't watch TV while camping, so that's not an issue for us (no 'knock' intended for those who do, I suspect we're in the minority at that, especially given the number of new RVs with outside TVs).

Our rant is mid 30s to 40' motorhomes that have maybe 2 feet of usable galley counter space, after you take the top off the burners and the covers/cutting boards off the sinks. It makes it REALLY hard to prepare a meal of any sort.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:07 PM   #12

I don't think there is a perfect solution to this issue. We don't watch TV during the day so we want to sit where we can comfortably look through the windshield. If the seats are set up so you can see a TV on a Televator behind a couch then without the TV you are looking through a side window at the RV parked next to you. How enjoyable is that? So our TV is above the windshield and our seating is arranged that way. The other issue overlooked is the sound system. With a front TV it is easy to set up a surround sound system with front, side and rear speakers nicely separated. A side TV arrangement gives you front and side but very little scope for the rear speakers.
Newmar gives you the choice to come up with your own layout and they will build it that way just for you if feasible, so you don't have to just accept what the manufacturer offers in the standard floor plan.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 04:20 PM   #13

When the TV used a CRT there was a very heavy hunk of glass that had a reason to be centered. Since the flat screen weighs a lot less it makes a lot less sense to stick it in the middle. Just moving it to the opposite side from the couch lets the person on the end of the pullout with couch see the TV from behind the drivers seat. Better yet put it at eye level at the other end of that living space.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 04:30 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
I don't think there is a perfect solution to this issue. We don't watch TV during the day so we want to sit where we can comfortably look through the windshield. If the seats are set up so you can see a TV on a Televator behind a couch then without the TV you are looking through a side window at the RV parked next to you.

Sounds normal to me! You can just pull down the day shades if you don't want to see out.

How enjoyable is that? So our TV is above the windshield and our seating is arranged that way. The other issue overlooked is the sound system. With a front TV it is easy to set up a surround sound system with front, side and rear speakers nicely separated. A side TV arrangement gives you front and side but very little scope for the rear speakers.

When we moved the TV behind the couch, I re-configured the surround sound speakers so everything is just the way it's supposed to be!

Newmar gives you the choice to come up with your own layout and they will build it that way just for you if feasible, so you don't have to just accept what the manufacturer offers in the standard floor plan.
Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Merry Christmas!

Tags
class a