Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2022, 10:51 AM   #1

Class A Gas Handling

I am considering replacing my 99 American Dream diesel with a 2016 Winnebago Adventurer. I have not driven a class A gas since I sold my 2003 Southwind. Can anyone comment as to whether the newer Adventurer would be any more comfortable, or any better handling out on the highway than the old Southwind?
I'm guessing that I may be disappointed if I make this move??
Roland Trombley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2022, 11:04 AM   #2

I have a DP but I read a lot about gassers needing help with handling. Most of the techniques I've read about to fix it are really expensive. When I noticed my DP had trouble with wind and getting shoved around by passing vehicles, I looked for a lower cost solution. And I got lucky because about that time I was offered free V-Spoilers in exchange for an unbiased opinion of them on my blog site. And they turned out to be a panacea for this particular Class A, making handling nearly issue free. Here's my ad free article about it: V-Spoilers

I've had them on the back and roof of the RV for 5 years now and I wouldn't hesitate to buy them if I trade up to a newer Class A, or other style RV. They work that well to control buffeting by the wind. What I haven't read, that I recall, is a gasser owner that's evaluated them, so there's a gap in the knowledge base.

But my suggestion is to buy for the floor plan, worry about the engine and handling after.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 12:17 PM   #3

You really need to test drive the Adventurer to get your answer. Too subjective and too many variables to answer your question.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 12:21 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge-fl View Post
You really need to test drive the Adventurer to get your answer. Too subjective and too many variables to answer your question.
I agree !
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 12:38 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I agree !

Ditto - you'll need to decide that one on your own. I will say our last gasser was fairly modern and it handled very well. Much better than gassers I've owned or driven in the past.
Old 07-18-2022, 02:09 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I think it really depends on you and your use of the RV. We have had 2 gassers and 2 DPs; we've made 20 round trip cross-countries. For those big long trips you can't beat a DP but if you are only doing occasional trips to campgrounds, it would be hard for me to justify the expense of a big DP.
Cousin Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 02:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge-fl View Post
Ditto.

Also find the "Cheap Handling Fix" thread on these forums to find a fix that turns out not to be too expensive at all. I did it in my yard for free. I then added a Blue Ox Tiger Trac and did a front end alignment, and it was fine.

We had a 30' on an F53 chassis for about four years, and the handling was acceptable. While I understood I could have spend tens of thousands of dollars on a better handling rig, it just made no sense when we spend a heck of a lot more time in it sitting still than rolling. We'd drive 50 miles and sit there for two weeks sometimes.

We made a couple of long trips -- Nova Scotia, Washington, Oregon, etc. -- but our chief usage was within a couple of hundred miles of home.

You have to decide for yourself. The handling can be improved dramatically for less than $1000, but it'll never handle like a much more expensive pusher.
Old 07-18-2022, 02:25 PM   #8

If it's on the F53 Chassis just do the Cheap Handling Fix, I did it a couple years back, just up front and it made a world of difference. I have driven 2k miles and its been much easier to drive, can drive with one hand now. We did all new tires and an alignment also but most of the improvement came from the "CHF". Right now most of our trips a 1-3 hour drives especially with the price of gas these days.
Old 07-18-2022, 05:39 PM   #9

If it’s all stock, make sure you have $5k for all the suspension upgrades! Even more if you have to have everything installed!
Dodge Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 05:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
If itís all stock, make sure you have $5k for all the suspension upgrades! Even more if you have to have everything installed!
$5,000? I'd be interested to see that number broken down and itemized.
Old 07-18-2022, 05:58 PM   #11

Quote:
If itís all stock, make sure you have $5k for all the suspension upgrades! Even more if you have to have everything installed!
I guess you could throw as much cash at it as you want. But we spent less than $1000 on it and improved the handling substantially. I drove it in strong crosswinds with a thumb hanging over each crossbar.

Cheap handling fix done by me in my yard -- $0
Blue Ox Tiger Trac to eliminate the tail wag in wind -- a little under $700 installed by me
Front end alignment -- a little under $300 at a competent truck alignment shop
Old 07-18-2022, 06:15 PM   #12

Quote:
It would be nice if itís all new. You know, they smell so good. But I think that if anyone has driven a heavy DP, you will be disappointed. Now Iíll admit, once you arrive, a high end gas coach will be very nice. A lot of people have them and wouldnít want the diesel.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 07:25 PM   #13
NXR

We test drove a brand new 2019 Adventurer 35F and it was freakin' scary. Wandering all over the road and getting shoved a lot. We passed.

A 2016 F-53 motorhome may have a 2015 chassis with the 5-speed transmission or a 2016 chassis with the 6-speed transmission. Many people with the 5-speed have installed a 5 Star Tune and reported dramatic improvements in driveability and shifting. https://5startuning.com/product-cate...8l-rv-class-a/

We have the 6-speed and have not seen any need to do so.

Ray
Old 07-19-2022, 05:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
$5,000? I'd be interested to see that number broken down and itemized.
Front and rear sumo springs $1400
Front and rear Hellwig sway bars $1600
4 Koni shocks $175X 4=$700
Steering stabilizer $650
Rear trac bar $575

Total $3925. May have been off by a grand, but some of this may be a little more or less, and don’t forget taxes and shipping! I would’ve said less, but sometimes it will end up being more. And my Blue Ox True center steering stabilizer was $1500. So as you could see it very easily could get near $5k.

And for the ultimate in ride and handling there is the Liquid Spring upgrade! A few manuf are actually offering this as a factory option! But this installed on an existing F53 is near $20k. I think it’s $12-15k if gotten on a brand new MH!
Dodge Guy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, gas