Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2017, 06:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
That's great to know Twinboat. Would I go downhill in 2nd also?
If the OD Off, which is a 4th to 3rd downshift, isn't keeping the speed down, I slow to 50 or so MPH and drop it into 2nd gear.

If your going to fast, it won't downshift. That's to protect the engine from spinning too fast.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2017, 07:36 AM   #16

Here's a link to the 2014 Ford F53 chassis specs:

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...2014_LoRes.pdf

The newer models have a 6 speed transmission rather than the 5 speed, and the hp is now rated at 320 rather than 362. According to Ford the engine is slightly detuned to meet the latest EPA regulations. Reports from owners say it runs as strong as the 362 hp models.

As for safety features this is the same basic chassis design that was introduced in 1999. There have been improvements in handling with larger and more sway bars, larger wheels and tires on the higher capacity models, heavier frame material, track bars and larger shocks and a number of other improvements.

While they are the same basic models I can tell you the newer ones handle and ride much better than the older versions. We had a 2001 Winnebago Adventurer 32V on the 20,500 lb. F53 chassis. It did a good job for well over 100,000 miles. We traded it in on our 2013 Adventurer 32H. The new one is built on a 22,000 lb. F53 chassis. The new one rides and handles far better than the 2001 did.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywolf View Post
Some of the newer coaches have airbags and will give you a discount on your insurance.
Air bags are only required in cars and light trucks. That is why they are on Class C MHs.

Since the Class A chassis comes without a actual driving station, the cost of testing, fitting and approving air bags on that chassis, would fall on each MH manufacture and be very expensive. The crash tests alone, could put some of them out of business.

It's basicly a cost verses death analyst. With so few MH crashs, it's not worth it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Thanks all for the replies, I really appreciate it.

I have a 12 year old class A myself on a F53 20,500 chassis, it is 34foot 9 inches with a 216.5inch wheelbase.

I am helping my buddy purchase a coach (he is looking at c's), it's not that I think older rigs are not safe, I am just gathering information for the questions I know my buddy will ask, he is looking at new ones, but I want him to look at some used also to see what he can get for his money.
Part of that depends on why he is looking at C's. If one discounts the workhorse chassis then there is a lot of similarity between the C and A drivetrain and chassis made by Ford over the years. Safety wise the C may be better as it has a stronger cab and air bags.

The A get's a bit more horsepower with the 3 valve engine but needs it for the extra weight and frontal area. Other than that and maybe the rear axle gearing they share engines and transmissions.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:45 AM   #19

He is looking at c's as he thinks they be easier to drive. I am going to get him to test drive some A's
Old 01-27-2017, 09:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Here's a link to the 2014 Ford F53 chassis specs:

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...2014_LoRes.pdf

The newer models have a 6 speed transmission rather than the 5 speed, and the hp is now rated at 320 rather than 362. According to Ford the engine is slightly detuned to meet the latest EPA regulations. Reports from owners say it runs as strong as the 362 hp models.

As for safety features this is the same basic chassis design that was introduced in 1999. There have been improvements in handling with larger and more sway bars, larger wheels and tires on the higher capacity models, heavier frame material, track bars and larger shocks and a number of other improvements.

While they are the same basic models I can tell you the newer ones handle and ride much better than the older versions. We had a 2001 Winnebago Adventurer 32V on the 20,500 lb. F53 chassis. It did a good job for well over 100,000 miles. We traded it in on our 2013 Adventurer 32H. The new one is built on a 22,000 lb. F53 chassis. The new one rides and handles far better than the 2001 did.
I did not test drive any other class A's when I purchased mine, I did look at probably 30 other rigs over 3 or 4 days (A's and c's). We liked the floor plan and the price :-)

I did get a buddy who is very knowledgeable about rv's to inspect it for me.

To me it drives fine, better after an alignment, deflating the tires to 80psi and fitting a Roads master reflex steering stabilizer. I did not want to test drive any coaches over our budget.

My coach has a 2004 chassis, how would the drivebaility of it compare to newer coach's?
Old 01-28-2017, 07:54 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
He is looking at c's as he thinks they be easier to drive. I am going to get him to test drive some A's
Owned 30 ft C and now a 31 ft A,the a is a lot easier to drive.The A is a little intimidating when first sitting in the drivers seat.
hillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:04 AM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Though there have been improvements in vehicles, Including Motor homes, over the last decade, heck over the last six months in most cases. This will soon end for a while.. but it will return later... (Please do not ask)

I do not think there have been any major safety advances in the STANDARD vehicles.. Most of the advances I've seen in the last 10 years apply more to cars than motor homes,, They include
Collision avoidence systems, Sonar or Radar that either alerts you when you are about to crash, or actually stops the car.
Not 100% sure how safe these systems are.. But I have yet to see them in motor homes. Will be at least another decade unless they make them "After Market" Do not expect them on trucks either soon. However

Another safety improvement on cars is the back up camera/Sensor. RVs have had those for a long time.

Another Safety change is the self-driving vehicle... This is coming but still; a long way from here.

I recall when the Self Driving car was Science Fiction.. Today. it's on the road.

The biggest safety device in a motor home is the price tag.. Yup the price tag.

Now I take my 2,000 beater towed and well.. If I crash it,,, I actually have 2,000 saved up to replace it.

But my 100,000 (Rounded) motor home....... You better believe I drive with CARE.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:09 AM   #23
Klc

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
That's great to know Twinboat. Would I go downhill in 2nd also?
Yes, thanks, very good to know. We are very leery about traveling through the mountains.
Klc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:09 PM   #24

For about 3 grand a 360deg view camera system, side warning sensors and Mobile eye could be installed.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:58 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

jawolf: Could you identify some of the Class A models with crash air bags? The only ones I can think of are Class B & C coaches that use an existing van or truck chassis that already has an air bag.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:49 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It would be nice if Ford at least put an air bag in the steering wheel of the F53, but I am not aware of any plans to do so.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
It would be nice if Ford at least put an air bag in the steering wheel of the F53, but I am not aware of any plans to do so.
I doubt it'll ever be done unless all the body manufacturers put the drivers exact same seat in the exact same position on all motorhomes, and secure it in an approved manner. Ford isn't going to take the responsibility that the bag will be properly positioned relative to the driver given they have no control of the seat configuration, structure, mounting platform, or placement.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:11 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
I doubt it'll ever be done unless all the body manufacturers put the drivers exact same seat in the exact same position on all motorhomes, and secure it in an approved manner. Ford isn't going to take the responsibility that the bag will be properly positioned relative to the driver given they have no control of the seat configuration, structure, mounting platform, or placement.

Yes, that makes sense.

Tags
class a, gas, safety