Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2018, 11:16 PM   #141

How much more or less is the noise when driving a gas C compared to towing with a gas 2500-3500 truck? I would think they'd be comparable. Same basic engine cab layout.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2018, 12:04 AM   #142

Lets get some facts straight about GAS!

This is my first comment of any post, but I am a long time reader of this forum. I am going to give you a background before all my answers to all of you poorly informed people that keep spewing the repeated hate for gas coaches. To the rest of you I hope I educate you a little on newer gas coaches and facts you might not know about them.

I have owned 4 RV's total, 3 gas, 1 diesel. I have traveled to ALL of the lower 48 states in an RV. I have logged +16000 miles in a diesel and +45000 in gas. Yes I could afford a diesel if I wanted one. My newest coach I purchased 2 months ago is a 2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37F is 38' 9" long... that's 15 inches short of 40 feet, Yes, gas units are that big. I tow a 2018 Jeep JL unlimited sport. The MSRP is $215,000, obviously that's not what I paid.

I also want to state that I can only use my RV for the following statements below and I understand other companies and lower priced RV's will obviously be different than mine.

ALL gas engines are loud - False, under normal driving conditions. When I drive my 2019 the engine revs 2200 at 60mph and 2700 at the computer controlled top speed of 75mph. The normal road, wind, and RV noises are louder. The new sound dampening materials are so much better than even my last 2016 coach, It was louder, but there is no comparison to the new ones. At 65 MPH I could have a whispering conversation with the person in the passenger seat. When climbing hills or over 3000 RPM then yes you can hear it, but its not deafening. The higher the RPM's the louder it gets obviously, but never like described by others where shouting is needed to talk. Quit repeating what others are saying, test drive one, go 65, and find out for yourself!

The ride is bad in a gas RV. - Listen, is it a cloud, no... but it also isn't a Uhaul truck either. Speaking with MY experiences, my 2019 gas rides much better than my 2008 Monaco diesel did. But when I test drove mine and another diesel on the lot, the truth is a pothole is a pothole. The best news for me is for a few thousand I can make it better than stock with upgrades if I choose to do so. Those of you out there that keep saying "my diesel rides so nice" You might be are right, but qualify it by saying you spent +400k for your tag axle with 20 air bags and don't compare it to something that costs 1/3 the price. I hope you got a lot more than ride quality for the +$200,000 or more you spent than me because mine not as bad as you may think. Also so many of you tow a Jeep wrangler, like I do, and talk about your ride quality... and then tow a vehicle frequently referenced as a harsh, firm ride by professional automotive sources. The probable truth is if someone is posting "Gas or Diesel" then there is a high chance they are not considering high end diesels against substantially less expensive gas coaches. But with that being said, an entry level diesel may not be that different to a high end gas.
Which brings me to my next point.
Diesels are trimmed out better than gas. Fact- My Fleetwood Southwind 37F has 6 individual personal sleeping spaces, FIVE TVs, two FULL baths with TWO showers. Unlimited hot water. Undercarriage LED lighting. Induction cooktop, residential fridge and washer and dryer. Outdoor TV/DVD/Bluetooth entertainment. Electric powered cord reel. WiFi booster antenna and so much more. Yes these are all available on a diesel too, but quit acting like its ONLY in a diesel, gas units have high end features too.

Towing - DIESELS WIN!!!! If you have a heavy load, stacker trailer, or anything over 10,000 lbs you need a diesel! But did you know I can tow 8000 lbs with an 800 lb tongue weight with my gas? Bet you didn't. Most of us, even with diesels, are just towing a vehicle, so that's more than enough. No I don't crawl up hills at 35mph but I probably slow down to 50-55 on the steepest grades which is fine with me. Its part of having a gas and I understand that.
Also at almost 40 feet semi's do not blow me around on the road. I can drive one handed with the cruise at 70-73 and drive comfortably for hours, the engine does just fine.

The way all these "What should I get diesel or gas?" posts seem to go is, "get a diesel if you can afford it or settle for a gas and be unhappy"

I know I will get responses, with people mad or disagreeing with what I am saying BUT understand this, I didn't bash diesels in this post, Im just saying why I am happy that I picked a gas. You can like yours without talking bad about the other.

Listen maybe this isn't the best way to start out with my first post, but after reading all the bashing on gas, someone needs to defend and tell some factual truths.

Travel safe!
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:38 AM   #143

AZ RV'r, I agree with most of what you said. When comparing gas to diesel you really need to compare against newer gas (at least 2016) coaches. Huge improvements have been made in performance and noise deadening. Can you tell us what suspension mods you have made?
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:53 AM   #144

Be nice

Damn guys.....be nice to each other. Some of you are getting to snippy with each other. Bottom line is you will get a more comfortable, powerful ride if you spend the large amount of money on a DP. If you can only afford gas or if you only want to spend a smaller amount of money on an RV you can find some great gas RV’s. I don’t care if the guy who pulls in next to me is driving a new Millennium or a 1970’s 19 foot tag-a-long as long as his family is nice, respectful and just there to have a good time. Remember we are all out there together. Take care of each other. I’ll see you all in the spring in my gas Fleetwood.
Shawn143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:38 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ RV'r View Post
My newest coach I purchased 2 months ago is a 2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37F is 38' 9" long... that's 15 inches short of 40 feet, Yes, gas units are that big. I tow a 2018 Jeep JL unlimited sport. The MSRP is $215,000, obviously that's not what I paid.
Thanks for that point of view. I just checked out the Southwinds, and the 36P rings my bell (only one head, .58 WB/OAL ratio, drop down bunk for grandkids). I think I need to readjust my thinking and maybe look into a higher-end gas rather than a lower-end diesel. A lot of coach for the same price as a Class B.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:39 AM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
I take exception to that. A quality gas rig is plenty quiet. To say its tough to have a conversation is pure BS. Maybe you had a 25 ft Thor Ace or something like that - I'm sure they are loud and drive poorly. If you get a quality gas rig, they are really nice rigs - quiet and comfortable. Quit trying to peddle that crap across the board and trying to justify your diesel purchase.
jt
I'm not pushing anything! My experience is based on 1000 mile + rental of one versus the Coachmen Mirada we just unloaded so I'm talking comfort, ease of driving and not maintenance. And, no we could not have a conversation or hear music in the Mirada once we were at any reasonable speed. I can't afford a DP so I'm doing without! I do appreciate your enthusiasm!
Mo Ichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:43 AM   #147

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2002 34' gasser. It's my first Class A so my info is from the perspective of a relative, "newbie"...even though I used to hold a commercial drivers license. For my purposes, my gasser is just fine. The price was very affordable, yet the coach had very low miles, many upgrades, and in fantastic condition. Knowing the previous owner for the past 10 years was a deciding factor in my decision to purchase the rv. I tow a 2018 Colorado as my toad and though I haven't yet navigated any 10 degree climbs, so far towing hasn't been a issue. Many folks have pointed out the various advantages to the DP's, so I needn't state them again. I believe it all boils down to what you need and want out of your rv. If I decide to purchase another Class A in the future, I will probably go with a 35' DP for the noise, ride, and increased towing abilities, but so far, I don't feel the need to change. Having added a 400 watt solar system, I'm able to boondock, and my 34' length allows me to get into just about anywhere I choose. Like I said, it depends on what you need and want out of your coach and so far, my gasser does the trick for me.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:37 AM   #148

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Ichi View Post
I'm not pushing anything! My experience is based on 1000 mile + rental of one versus the Coachmen Mirada we just unloaded so I'm talking comfort, ease of driving and not maintenance. And, no we could not have a conversation or hear music in the Mirada once we were at any reasonable speed. I can't afford a DP so I'm doing without! I do appreciate your enthusiasm!
You cannot compare a Mirada to a Newmar Canyon Star or even Bay Star. There is no comparison.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:58 AM   #149

DP braking

I've had two gas RVs and now a DP. I would never go back to a gas RV. Another issue is braking. It used to scare me driving down big grades in my gas unit. I either had to ride the brakes or downshift and put up with the slower speed and noise of an engine running at 4000+ RPM. I now have a DP with an engine brake(not exhaust brake) and I almost never touch my service brakes on big downgrade.
natgild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:01 AM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge-fl View Post
AZ RV'r, I agree with most of what you said. When comparing gas to diesel you really need to compare against newer gas (at least 2016) coaches. Huge improvements have been made in performance and noise deadening. Can you tell us what suspension mods you have made?

My 2005 Gulf Stream gasser is a high quality coach. You will never find another brand with the "Sun Room" that was and is a Gulf Stream feature. The W-24 workhorse is a powerful motor and it climbs without struggle. The entrance door is behind the Sun Room and I have a drivers door too. The interior is of the highest quality materials.

I will attach a few pictures so all can see the quality and features of the Gulf Stream. There is spray foam insulation everywhere I have looked. It rides very quiet. No problems carrying on a normal conversation. Now if I can get my wife to stop screaming whenever we go under a bridge it will be even quieter.

The bad news is Gulf Stream doesn't make a class "A" anymore since 2011.

Sudsy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-03-05 16.20.23.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	225882   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-03-05 16.17.45.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	225883  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-03-05 16.22.12.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	225884   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-03-05 16.18.19.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	225885  

Old 11-13-2018, 10:10 AM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ RV'r View Post
This is my first comment of any post, but I am a long time reader of this forum. I am going to give you a background before all my answers to all of you poorly informed people that keep spewing the repeated hate for gas coaches. To the rest of you I hope I educate you a little on newer gas coaches and facts you might not know about them.
Travel safe!

I don't recall seeing many posts "Bashing Gas" motorhomes. What I have seen, and yours is one of them, is gas owners defending and justifying their choice and implying that the extra money spent for a DP was unnecessary and wasteful. I can truthfully say that the difference wasn't wasteful, but worth every penny to us. I've owned three gas coaches and four DP's. We liked all of them. The gassers were fine for what they were. I'm sure the new ones are nicer. The truth is, as a happy Diesel owner, I'm just not interested in another gas motorhome. I've come to enjoy the air ride, unlimited load capacity, 15,000# towing capacity, quieter ride (it is quieter than any gas), 1200 mile range before even looking for fuel, the extra room inside and underneath along with the relaxed feeling at the end of a 500 mile day. My DP offers me options that no gasser could including a new 2019 model. Cost of the DP is irrelevant to me. It was paid for a year after purchase. A DP isn't better than a Gas. It just offers options that a Gas can't provide. Each type has its place and each has its loyal following. I hope you enjoy your choice for many years to come, as I will continue to enjoy mine.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:31 AM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
1200 mile range before even looking for fuel, the extra room inside and underneath along with the relaxed feeling at the end of a 500 mile day.
I buy gas about once a day and if I was going to cover 500 miles in a day I'd just let Delta do the flying. I don't use my motorhome like I was a long haul trucker. Heck, it takes me 2 days to drive from Nashville to Knoxville. I guess that's why my Canyon Star works just fine. Plus I can take the savings and buy a nice lot in FL to stay warm in the winter. Might even have enough left over to get one in the NC mountains to stay cool in the summer too.

Everybody should drive what they want. It does seem that a lot of DP drivers think the only reason folks drive a gas motorhome is because they're too "poor" to afford a DP. That just ain't true. I've had a DP Monaco and several gas motorhomes and have no desire to have another DP.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:42 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I
It does seem that a lot of DP drivers think the only reason folks drive a gas motorhome is because they're too "poor" to afford a DP.
Not sure where that came from. I have never said or implied that. As for 500 miles per day, 7,000 of the 10,000 miles we travel each year is on the same roads we have traveled for 13 years between homes in AZ and WI or to see our daughter in ID. After the first 5 or 6 years we had seen all the things of interest to us. The 2000 miles between homes in four days is a doable and easy trip in our DP. I wouldn't care to do that in a Gas coach towing an 8500# trailer.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:04 PM   #154

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Not sure where that came from. I have never said or implied that. As for 500 miles per day, 7,000 of the 10,000 miles we travel each year is on the same roads we have traveled for 13 years between homes in AZ and WI or to see our daughter in ID. After the first 5 or 6 years we had seen all the things of interest to us. The 2000 miles between homes in four days is a doable and easy trip in our DP. I wouldn't care to do that in a Gas coach towing an 8500# trailer.
Actualy 2000 miles in 4 days is doable for any coach diesel, gas, electric, or nuclear. As long as the driver can drive 500 miles a day.
I have driven Miami Manhattan one shot inumerous times when I drove limmozines and they were gas. I doubt anyone could do better if they were in a diesel truck. Apples are apples and oranges are oranges. A dragon fruit will never be a kewee and vice versa.
Cacique is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, diesel, gas