Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2018, 09:02 PM   #1

Class A gas vs Diesel

I plan on purchasing a 40' class A to explore the pacific NW. I will be towing a small car. Can the gas engine adequately pull the car up hills and maintain speed and how well will the brakes handle the downslope?
Thanks

Vic
Vapat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2018, 09:10 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

What chassis and engine is the RV built on? You'll be able to climb hills, but you won't set any speed records doing so. (That's not a bad thing, just a fact) Going downhill, downshift and use the engine to retard speed. If it's a newer Ford F53, you probably will have 'Tow/Haul' which aggressively uses the engine and transmission to retard speed going downhill.

Learn to use the brakes properly. Apply them firmly to slow down by at least 10 mph then take your foot off the pedal until you need to slow by 10 mph again. I live in a hilly place, Cincinnati. I can't tell you how many folks I see (and smell) riding the brakes going down our hills to control speed instead of downshifting. If you do that in a heavy RV, you'll likely not have brakes at the bottom of a mountain pass.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:16 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I don't think they make a 40' gasser.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:23 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Generically will find gassers up thru mid 30 footers. Diesels tend to be mid 30's up to 45.

To me it depends how you are going to use the coach. If you ignore the 40' and are going to drive it somewhere and primarily park it and stay put, then stick w/gas. No need to pay a premium for a diesel coach, as the 'houses' are similar (functionality). If you are going to be on the move alot and travelling around always on the go, then go w/diesel.

Many advantages to diesel, sometimes unimportant to some purchasers, important to others. I know everytime I come down a long grade, very safely under control using the engine brake, I am glad I bought the diesel. Many times don't even have to touch the service brakes. The ride is better with air bags, it's quieter with engine in rear, and has greater fuel range per fillup. They tend to have more storage, since the middle space isn't consumed by a drive shaft. Generator's up front and not under the bed if running at night. Diesels can have a larger tow capacity, but you need to check carefully any coach you are buying. It's not just hitch rating, it's also capped by the difference between the GCWR and it coach actual weight.

Personally, if I was buying a 40 footer to travel the NW, it would definitely be a diesel. Gassers have advantages for some use scenarios, but for the size you want and how you indicate you're going to use it, go diesel.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:41 PM   #5

Newmar canyon star has a 40' gasser. I have a 37' bounder gasser, older but there are gas motorhomes over 35'.
My issue with diesel motorhomes where I am from is the need for an air brake endorsement and with that a reduced resale market as buyers need the endorsement. And they are more expensive.
My coach slows down going up the mountain for sure and you need to downshift and not ride the brakes on the way down.
No argument re the pluses of a diesel but there are some negatives as well.
rschad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:49 PM   #6

Our previous Class A was a gas. Our current Class A is a diesel pusher. We have been through the rocky mountains with both. There is just no comparison between the two in many ways especially when climbing and descending steep grades. The DP is the one for us!
irishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:55 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
I don't think they make a 40' gasser.
Newmar makes several at 39'-11. That's close enough to 40' for me. And talking to folks that have them, they seem to perform reasonably well.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:38 AM   #8

Vic, you really didn't mention budget or anything but my two cents is that the longer the gasser is, the greater the tail swing will be and that can be a problem. When we determined we wanted a Siena, we looked for the 35' version vs the 39' model.

I also believe the Workhorse platform with 6 speed Allison is the way to go unless you are looking for something newer which will be on the Ford Triton chassis. Two years in and our 2010 (on a Dec 2008 Workhorse) has been bullet proof. Just oil changes and a performance tune from Brazels. Pulling most 6-7% grades at 50+ with a Jeep in tow and averaging around 7+ MPG.

With our decision to go gas vs diesel, it also had a lot to do with cost after purchase with respect to maintenance, etc. In our case, we were concerned with the added cost of diesel maintenance and potential for big unexpected bills. Have been very happy with our decision.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:48 AM   #9

Always remember, not all DPs are created equal. HP is HP, regardless of diesel or gas. Diesel means it does not down shift as often, but flat out, HP is HP. Now having made that statement, DPs are Turbos, which is able to compensate for altitude power loss. Without a turbo, you loose power with altitude, which you will notice with a non-turbo gas unit. (no one makes a turbo gas unit at this time)
Old 01-25-2018, 07:03 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think on the gas option you need to look at it's wheelbase as well. I think the longest F53 chassis has a 252" wheelbase. Unless your manufacturer has extended that chassis, a MH at ~40 feet is going to give you 18' to 19' of total overhang. That's a lot and you're going to feel it one way or the other as you drive. Plus, unless they have a way to build a very light box on that chassis, I'd think you will have very little room until you hit the 26K GVWR limit. Just thinking our loud.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:12 AM   #11

"I will be towing a small car. Can the gas engine adequately pull the car up hills and maintain speed and how well will the brakes handle the downslope?"

Check the GCWR compared to the GVWR to ensure the RV you are looking at is rated to tow the weight of your car. And check the tow hitch capacity as well. Beyond the basics like "does the engine have enough power to tow" that starts the more fundamental "does it have enough brakes to tow" and "will the chassis hold up over time to tow".

I moved from a V10 Gas to the Diesel so I could tow stuff (and other reasons). The V10 was OK to pull itself, but I was concerned about towing with it. Another V10 (2008 vintage) on same trip up the Adirondacks towed a minivan on a dolly and it kept up with the pack. I am sure it was pedal to the metal up the grades.

You could rent a Gas to see if it works for you first.
The Diesel is more expensive up front and for annual maintenance. If you own it forever, maybe it's less expensive as at least the powertrain should last forever. I don't think many use an RV enough to see that payback.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:08 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Newmar makes several at 39'-11. That's close enough to 40' for me. And talking to folks that have them, they seem to perform reasonably well.
jt
I have always felt if they can't build a 40' then 39 11" is pushing the limits of capacity.
Otherwise they would build 40' + gassers.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:58 PM   #13

We had a 35 foot Winnebago before our current diesel. To me it was about ride quality and use. We upgraded to diesel to full time; if using sporadically I would have stayed with gas...much cheaper and, in my opinion, diesels don’t sit as well. We had a Workhorse Winnebago and power was fine for us. Braking is definitely better in the diesel.
z32k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:18 PM   #14

If you are not retired then the MH will sit a lot. Read depreciation. If you do not have some other reason other than want it I think you will find a shorter MH will be easier to get in and out of a lot of places while being more than adequate for 2 people. If you do go shorter gas gets more attractive. If price is a concern gas is more attractive. If pounding out miles from dawn to dusk is your thing then go diesel. If going somewhere to park for days/ weeks while exploring with a towed then it does not matter much. Figure out what you mean by exploring the Pacific Northwest and what your budget can stand.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, class a, gas