Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2016, 09:23 AM   #1

Class A gas with bunks & generator in front of coach?

Hi there,

We are looking for used class A gas RV that has BUNK BEDS. Also MUST have the generator located up near the front of the coach.

We currently have a Tioga 31W class c and really like it with one exception, the generator under the bed.
We are a family of 4 that takes a 4-6 week road trip for the last few years.
We spend most of our time on the road and typically park at Walmart, truck stops or other free places to sleep.

Since our travel time is during the summer when the kids are out of school, we need AC at night and need to use the generator. In most gas motorhomes, the generator is right under the bed. That works for most people as they typically go to campgrounds and plug into power at night. We would rather spend that $ on doing stuff.

We have been looking at moving to a class A with bunks but cannot swing the diesel prices.

We are trying to find gas models that have bunk beds, and also have the generator up at the front of the coach. So far, not much luck. The only model I have found so far is 2010 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 35S which was only made apparently in 2010 and then discontinued. There are not many of these around and they are fairly cheap in their construction.

Looking for alternatives and would appreciate any input that others might have.

Thanks for any input!!!!!
relay700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2016, 10:20 AM   #2

Bunks & generator in front

I have a fleetwood Storm Class A that sleeps nine. Now using the bathroom with that many folks may be a stretch but... Mine is the 32BH or 32H depending on the model year. Mine is a 2013, the gennie is in the front not near the sleeping compartments. The bunks are just before the bedroom midships and the upper folds up and the lower is a dinette that converts to the bottom bunk. It also has a drop down queen over the drivers/passenger seats that is on a motor that you just use to raise and lower. The regular dinette converts to a full and fits me and I'm 6'2 as does the bunks. The jacknife sofa will do one small person and of course you have the queen in the back. My girlfriend and I just returned from a 2 week trip from New Jersey down to the Florida Keys along the east coast and back via the west coast of florida and up through Atlanta and Knoxville and home. I averaged 7.96 mpg and was not towing anything. We tend to rent a car if we are staying someplace for a few days such as in the keys. On flat ground you can get away with the cruise and stay at about 2000-2200 rpms and maintain 65. With a lot of hills where it, the rpms jump around to maintain a speed figure on 5-6 mpg. If you don't use cruise and control the gas pedal u can still maintain the 2-2200 rpm and 65 and get the upper gas mileage. We stayed in a lot of cracker barrel lots which by company policy let u stay there, also did a couple of other places also but only used one camppground in the keys for a few days and one in Bradenton,fla so we could plug in and watch the superbowl. Good luck with your search.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:42 PM   #3

Thanks for the detailed reply!!!!! Super appreciate it.
We go back and forth over the Storm as my wife does not like they layout of the kitchen.

We are also looking at the Georgetown 351ds which we like the floorplan of and pricing. The generator is around midship so a test will be in order to determine if it's far enough away from the bedroom to not bother us.

I'll keep looking.....
Old 02-15-2016, 04:17 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The national coach in my signature may be what your looking for but they went out of business in 2008. The genny is in the first compartment behind the driver side wheel, the construction is good, the major down fall with this coach is little to no counter space. This is the only 2 bedroom gas coach that we could find, and it took us months to find a good one. My wife and I liked this model because it has doors instead of that paper according divider, and you could get to everything with the big slide closed, you do have to open the master bedroom slide to use the bed, as the bottom 12" go under the closet. Good luck with your search I have attached the floor plan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 Surfside 2.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	119102   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 Surfside copy.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	119103  

Old 02-15-2016, 05:09 PM   #5

For what its worth I just went and looked on RVTrader.com for the Storm 32BH and looked at 2015,2014, and 2013 and saw many different kitchen configurations. Mine has the sink and sofa on the port side(left) with the stove, microwave and oven facing forward. I saw 13's with the whole kitchen on the starboard(right) side and the same with 14's and 15's. I think there are many configurations on the kitchen layout you just have to keep looking until you find the one that is best for you, but the genny is in the front most compartment right behind the driver.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:08 AM   #6

I have a 2015 Bounder Classic, model 34B. Has bunk beds and the generator is on the driver's side, as close to the front as you can get. I believe this same model has sold for a number of years. It also looks like it is living on in 2016 as a Terra model, with the same floor plan. We love the floor plan.
rbylsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 04:54 AM   #7

I wouldnt rule out a DP - search for used Thor Palazzo 33.3, FR Legacy, or Bounder.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:18 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would do a test as far as the generator goes. We went from a super c to a class A and I found out an interesting thing. Most C's have 4000w generators that are single cylinders while most A's have at least 5500w generators with twin cylinders. The larger generator runs at a much lower rpm. With that said, we hardly hear ours run and it is located under the bedroom area but across the coach opposite the headboard.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:50 AM   #9

The two bunk models I looked at that had generators in front also had threads on this forum reporting overheat issues when running then gen down the road. They where the Thor ACE 30.2 and the Fleetwood Storm 32H.

On the ACE Thor relocated the generator to the rear on newer models and payed to relocate existing ones under warranty to solve the problem. On the Fleetwood they have some venting shroud kit that is supposed to help.

The issue with the gen up front near the main engine is heat from the main engine causes cooling issues for the gen. I assume this is why most have the gen in the back.

Mine is in the back corner and pretty loud. We haven't had the need to run it all night yet, but it was a concern of mine. Wife says she would be ok with it as she and the kids like white noise when sleeping, I like it quiet. I would have preferred a DP design with gen up front main engine in rear, maybe some day.

One thing to look for too is where it's exhaust is vented. I noticed on some especially the ones mounted up front the exhaust seems to come out the side under a slide, made me a little worried about fumes getting in the MH. My Winnie has it coming out the rear with no slide or window that opens above it.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
I would do a test as far as the generator goes. We went from a super c to a class A and I found out an interesting thing. Most C's have 4000w generators that are single cylinders while most A's have at least 5500w generators with twin cylinders. The larger generator runs at a much lower rpm. With that said, we hardly hear ours run and it is located under the bedroom area but across the coach opposite the headboard.
Smaller A's with single AC and 30A service like mine have the 4000w generator. If you have 2 AC's then you normally have 50A service and the 5500W gen.

I would have preferred two AC's and 50A but it was nearly impossible to find in a small bunkhouse, to get bunks and 50A you had to get up above 35ft which I couldn't do. The only one I found was the Coachmen Pursuit 33BH but we didn't like the fit and finish and it was pushing length for us at 33'.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:14 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV

Try looking at the Thor Serrano 31x. Its only about 33ft with queen bed in master, queen pull out sofa, big twin dinette. Its a DP with Gen behind drives seat on drivers side. gets about 10-13 mpg. Has the power to get you up the hill unless you get stuck behind a 18 wheeler. I'm thinking about selling mine here in the near future. I'm in Arkansas so after you search the 31x out let me know if you are interested. Mine is a 2011 31X with in-motion satellite set up for dish receiver add.
JoeBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:38 PM   #12

Thanks for all the replies!!! Super helpful!!!!

I like the 2011 + Bounder but can't find any decent deals on them.

Found a 2012 Georgetown 351ds in Florida for $59k that I put a deposit on and will drive down this week to trade in my 04 Tioga class c if everything looks good.
The Bounder prices were at least $10k - $20k more. Granted there are a few nicer things like heavier chassis, 22.5" wheels etc. but I would rather save the $$$ for the doing stuff (:

The entry level diesels are still way to much for us to spend right now.

The Fleetwood Storm looks nice and is around same $$ as the Georgetown but for the $$ the Georgetown offers a few more feet in length, more counter space and a Euro recliner behind the passengers seat.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:21 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
+1 we have slept with gen running many times not a problem
gasser 38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:24 PM   #14

Ok, super stoked! 3rd day on the road on the way home from Florida and I LOVE the class a. The Georgetown seems a little less quality wise interior but then again I am sure even a new Tioga will feel less quality compared to how they were built 12 years ago. My wife is not thrilled with the interiors of any of the newer models as she does not like the design and colors but she said she could live with this....

Generator is great midship and is no problem sleeping with. A pleasant surprise is that the furnace is also MUCH quieter than our class c was.

Thanks for all your help! Now on to all the upgrades and mods to make this our own.... It will keep me busy until the spring (:

Tags
class a, generator, gas