Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2021, 04:28 PM   #43

Thor Owners Club
We use Flying J RV lanes with our 38' gasser, tow dolly and car. Use the pilotflyingj.com website and use the SAT image to make sure they have RV lanes and where they are located. Works for us in MOST states but not NH, RI, ME.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2021, 04:43 PM   #44

I have a gasser.i bought a magazine called the next exit.works great on finding gas you can get into.
Buzzsaw
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:09 PM   #45

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jkorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Most gas stations are laid out to support cars, SUVs and light trucks with no consideration to a gasoline truck pulling a longer trailer or a motorhome. When we had a 34' motorhome and a dinghy, often, I would have to stand off to the side and wait for an end pump that I could reach. A few times, my wife or I would have to literally stand in place at the pump so that I could get a chance to pull in. Always some jerk wanting to scoot in place and not let us fuel.

Now with Google Earth and Maps, you can look at photo images of a fuel station and see what the access looks like before you use the station.

Ken
Given your reluctance to work with the size of your camper I suggest you get a sprinter van. They are easy to fuel. Jeff
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:18 PM   #46

Crappiest gas I ever got was Pilot in AMA. It is not a Top Tier gas so I only use them as a last resort.
I just use Google maps and Gas Buddy to find a Top Tier station that meets my needs.
Old 10-07-2021, 05:50 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom3855wales View Post
We can get manuals for campgrounds, places to see, places to eat online in a few seconds, but my biggest gripe to traveling is;
WHERE CAN I GET IN TO BUY GAS!
Lots of stations everywhere you look but I have the most difficult time finding a gas station that is the least bit comfortable to access and depart with our serious fears of a disastrous tail swing on a 38’ gasser. You would think SOMEONE out there that compiles reams of data on everything else related would compile , in their , travels a book of RV FRIENDLY GAS STATIONS. Most locations are designed around VWbug size autos. Anyone out there have any helping solutions to this problem, I can’t be the ONLY one having these issues. Critical comments not accepted, helpful comments welcome. LOL
I usually look for Pilot Flying J or Loves. Normally they have RV lanes
alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:55 PM   #48

Can’t tell you how many times we’ve tried “RV friendly” stations, only to discover the pumps are 90 degrees to the building and no way to circle the pumps and/or the building. Maybe friendly for a Class C, but not a 35’ Class A with a toad! Agree with you! Frustrating! I use Gas Buddy but didn’t know there was an RV version as someone mentioned! I’ll be checking it out and may see if it is accurate.
DGP-Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 06:25 PM   #49

We use all stays and next exit book 2016 edition is best, but I haven’t looked at 2021.

Both list all fueling station, and tell you how RV accessible the are, number of pumps etc..

Also The Truck Map app is great too!
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:49 PM   #50

Usually on the main street going through most towns there are stations that support lawn maintenance, construction and local delivery trucks even in the boonies so I've not really had trouble even in the small mountain towns in Georgia or Louisiana or even in remote areas of the White Mountains. On most interstates there are plenty of pull through rest area fuel stops too even for gasoline. When there are not rest area fuel stops I usually look for exits with multiple fuel stations visible from the highway so most often you will find 2 or 3 that are very easy to pull through. Been camping with everything from tents, tent trailers, 36 travel trailers to motor homes and over the past 40 years can only recount once or twice at best where I had no other choice but to fuel up at a difficult station and that was when I pulled in with a toad behind a 35 foot motor home and came across an obstacle that was not visible from the road which would have caused me to pass it by and go to the next station.

When at the campground you can also ask at the camp store before you leave which local fuel stations have the easiest access for a larger RV. The locals will most often be able to direct you to one with easy access and the best prices for a double win.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:20 PM   #51

Most Murphys stations (Wal-Mart) are large enough that we can get in and out with our 37'. If you have them available, Meijer stations are also usual large enough. Meijer is also Top Tier, so if you have a gasser, you'll get good gas there.
Pilot and Flying J's have lots of space, but they usually charge $0.40-$0.60 more per gallon; no thank you. I'd rather spend that money on a meal or groceries than on their profits.
I did get myself into a pickle once in Jacksonville FL with our trailer...
JorgeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 05:13 AM   #52

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
Great post. Maybe we should just all put down our favorite ones and those who travel the same roads can see if they like them or not.

For me, travelling between FL and MI, I have found the following to be great for ours (37’ towing, 62’ total):

Kentucky, I-75
  • Exit 76 Marathon Station—This is one that wouldn’t normally make the list but it is right next to Oh! Kentucky Campground which we stay at on night one of our travels, so if you stay there, this is an easy in/easy out station to start your trip the next morning. Station is at the corner of Paint Lick Rd and Dogwood Dr (no, I didn’t make that up); it only has two islands but if you enter from Paint Lick Rd (Hwy 21) you are angled right at the pumps and at the exit on the other side; you then have a traffic light to help you exit back on to Paint Lick Rd and then, I-75

Georgia, I-75:
  • Exit 310 Buc-ee’s and Love’s—both brand new (2021); haven’t stopped at either one yet but will in November on our way down
  • Exit 205 JP Travel Center—excellent brand new (2020) Marathon station; even though pumps are perpendicular to station, the islands are FAR away from the building, leaving tons of room to maneuver; Subway, Dunkin, BK all there, as well; very clean
  • Exit 144 Buc-ee’s—brand new (2021); haven’t stopped yet but will in November on our way down

Florida, I-75:
  • Exit 368 Petro Travel Plaza-- This is not a perfect one, but the pumps are set up perfectly; enter through the second entrance (not the first one which has the Wendy’s restaurant), then turn left and go to the lane directly in front of the building; this will head you straight for the pumps, which are angled, making it even easier to exit the lot when finished.

If anyone has some other good ones on the path from W Michigan to Gulf Coast Florida, I’d love to add them to my list.
Thanks for the fuel recommendations along this route, TimmyB! Especially in Kentucky. Exits can be a little tight in the hills and rarely can you see what's there until you exit. I will check out the campground too.
Vibeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 07:25 AM   #53

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
I agree with Wayne that Costco will almost always be a better choice, Sam's pumps not so much. Sam's are almost always smaller and more congested than are the Costco stations.
Costco (Kirkland) also has the advantage of making the Top Tier list here:
https://www.toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

Wawa, Sheetz, Love's, Flying J, Racetrack, Speedway, BJ's, Sam's, Walmart, and all grocery stores haven't earned that distinction.

Costco is always my first choice. I trust the brand, the cost is always competitive, and the 4% rebate is a welcome bonus.

Top Tier gas is easy to find, too. https://toptiergas.com/station-finder/
Old 10-08-2021, 08:26 AM   #54

While Google Earth satellite views, and Google Street View, will both give you information sufficient to a station's ease of managing a long camper, nothing beats *G.O.A.L.--especially if you have a passenger willing to help you avoid an accident.

Have them *Get Out And Look behind you and at your side corners as you maneuver in or out of the pumps. Even better if you have a set of walkie-talkies, and they can coach your coach maneuvering.

Sure, it's not a book or online resource you can access and plan your gas stops ahead of time. But it's a way to make most any gas station, you choose to visit, one you'll leave without an accident.
DuluthFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:40 AM   #55

The best thing about having 150 gallon tank is you can plan fuel stops at lower price states.
I can make it from Western NY Indian Reservation (real cheap) to about the middle of Iowa heading west. Usually that is the last stop of lower fuel. After that fuel skyrockets heading west.

I can make it to Richmond, Virginia heading south, that the best fuel until southern South Carolina. Always fill up before you enter Florida.

Heading up 95 north, gotta fill up in Salisbury, Massachusetts right at the exit, Mobil, it’s a little tight for 43ft RV but always the best price heading into Maine.
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 10:59 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking421 View Post
Just finished 12,000 mile USA trip.
While out west we found that the Maverick stations had nice RV lanes and also the lowest prices. Clean too!

Search online and plan ahead.
The only downside to Maverick stations is that their regular gas is only 85 octane, where Flying J and others are 87. That may or may not make a difference with your rig. Just be aware.
Bud E is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, fuel, gas