Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
We moved up from a 31' Class "C". to a 29' Class "A". Both FLeetwoods. It is night and day differance, Class "A" lots better in wind and trucks passing and meeting. Enjoy your new rig!!!
Not a Clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
With a 51% wheelbase I don't see how you can't get blown around, even in 10-15 mph winds.

Maybe you should visit RV Ratings for motorhomes, fifth wheels, trailers, toy haulers. for their input.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not a Clue View Post
We moved up from a 31' Class "C". to a 29' Class "A". Both FLeetwoods. It is night and day differance, Class "A" lots better in wind and trucks passing and meeting. Enjoy your new rig!!!
Well, I will find out in the morning when I finally pick it up. Not a clue, is your rig is on a 22,000 lb chassis with 208" wheelbase (if it is a ford)? If so, That would make it handle better.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:20 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with the suggestion re tire pressure and alignment with one caravat.. There are two pressures all but guaranteed to be WRONG for your motor home

One is written or typed on a sticker somewhere inside the rig (That might be OK if the rig is empty) the other is molded into the tire (That is the proper pressure ONLY if the tire is carrying the maximum load.. Read the FULL sentence, not just "xxx PSI maximum"

The proper pressure is found by clicking here RV Safety, Merritt Island, Florida and or by getting the 4 corner weights on your rig and going to the tire manufacturer's web site and finding the inflation chart for your tire.

NOTE: The folks at the link will send someone out with scales to do that for you, they will also have the tire maker's charts handy to hand you. They do a bunch of other stuff too.. About the same price as running over a scale twice to get the corner weights.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
There is a small truck stop close to me with weight scales. I'll go get it weighed. They said it is $9 to weigh. That is cheap. I've never done this so I hope they explain how to weigh it.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:10 AM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The CO DOT will let you use their roadside scales for FREE

(If they are not busy)
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:51 AM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Jtroop, just so you know going to the truck stop ( AKA travel plaza, as it called today, lol) the scales weight the rigs by each axle, such as steers then the drives and of course the total weight, as a trucker this would of included the trailer ( tandoms) weight to, for each adjustment that was made and going back on the scales it would again cost, but it would be cheaper then the 1st time, however in your case I don't think you will be going back twice.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtroop View Post
Well, I will find out in the morning when I finally pick it up. Not a clue, is your rig is on a 22,000 lb chassis with 208" wheelbase (if it is a ford)? If so, That would make it handle better.
Yes, it is a Ford and those are the specs.
Not a Clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #23

A longer wheelbase would have been preferable. JMHO.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:12 PM   #24

i've got a 33 on a 22000# f53, with 22.5 tires and 208 wheelbase, and it rides great, and trucks don't really bother it much at all. unit weighs 18k without my junk.

I Loves To Drives My Motorhome
Old 06-11-2010, 02:22 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Drove it 100 miles today. There is a little side to side push with some wind. Not to bad but I'll probably be looking for an add on to help with it.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #26

i really don't think you can get rid of having a little bit of side push, after all it is a large box, and i think you'll get it with any large rig. the rig we have now is 15" taller then our old 32 georgie boy, and i'm happy with it after 15k miles. on a side not, we came close to buying the fleetwood fiesta lx in '08, which seemed to be a nice rig, maybe close to yours.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:44 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
I've been reading through some of the owner manuals. The Ford documentation states it has a front trac bar. I guess that is good. ONe less thing I have to get. Maybe a Safe T Plus bar would help some? I hear you billyb, though I think it has some room for improvement.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #28

my opinion is that the front end doesn't need anymore help. i think the only way would be to install a rear trac bar, because that is where the sway would be coming from because the front is already has been taken care of.