Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2017, 09:37 PM   #1

Class A inspection?

I am in the process of purchasing my first coach. I have been researching for a couple years and have learned a ton from you all. I will be picking my coach up direct from the factory in Elkheart. Do any of you have reccomendations for inspectors? How much should I expect to pay? Are there any specific questions I should ask the inspector? I will be flying in from out of state...so, should I have the coach inspected before I arrive or wait until I am there? The factory has a site with full hookups and I can stay on the property to try everything and they ensured they would fix any discrepancies immediately.

Any and all advice on accepting the coach is welcome.

V/r
HappyPappa
HappiPappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2017, 03:28 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If taking factory delivery of a new coach a private, i.e. third-party, you're needing to have a private (i.e. third-party) inspection of the coach commissioned by you (as buyer) should not be necessary as all systems/components will be new and covered by the Manufacturer's limited warranty.

The factory delivery of your new coach should and will include a Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) to be performed by a dedicated and assigned factory PDI tech that will serve to confirm all systems and components are operating as designed, ensure that there are no cosmetic flaws, i.e. paint, furnishings, upholsteries, cabinetry, electronics, etc. , and ensure onsite repair of any faults or flaws discovered at the time of the PDI is completed prior to you taking final delivery. The PDI should also provide you with a comprehensive "hands-on" orientation and instruction by the Factory PDI tech on the operation and use of all systems and components to include answering any/all questions you may have. You will most certainly have a lot of questions and the PDI tech should be able to answer them all as well as provide you with instructions.

Prior to taking delivery, (i.e. now) you should reach out to and speak with your Dealer or Factory sales representative and ask them to explain to you what the factory PDI process will be and how its going to work. In the event you still feel that you will need to have a private pre-purchase inspection performed, there are numerous inspection companies (and individuals) in the public sector that offer such services. One of mention is RV Inspection Connection (rvinspectionconnection.com) who employs only NRVIA certified inspectors and specialize in performing comprehenisive "on-site" inspections. Their inspectors are also bound by non-conflict agreements whereby they only represent the client (i.e. you). The cost will depend upon a number of variables, i.e. type of coach, location where the inspection is to take place, and availability of an inspector in the chosen area.

It may also be helpful to you to obtain a PDI check-list from your Dealer or Factory sales rep. ahead of taking delivery so that you can see what all the PDI includes. Having such information will help you develop your own list of questions and aid you in doing your own inspection at the time of taking delivery.

Also, since it will be your first coach, don't forego giving some thought to taking a professional RV Driving course ahead (or at the time of) your purchase. The courses are well worth the small investment in terms of building confidence and learning practical safe driving techniques that will continue to pay "dividends".

Hope this helped.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:56 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
X2 on you don't need a inspector > good Luck on your adventure ..
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:41 AM   #4

With a new rig you may not need an inspector but you may want to get a Pre-Buy inspection list and go through all on the items on the list to make sure everything is working properly before you leave the factory. I did this with mine (slightly used) and it took 4 hours but it did save me on a replacement of a failed AC unit. But it also gave me a secure feeling that everything was working before I left the dealer's lot.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:04 AM   #5

I could maybe see doing an inspection if you'll be taking the coach home far away from the dealer and just want to get everything taken care of. A trained second set of eyes can't hurt. Mainly, an experienced inspector likely has a good routine to put all of the systems through a good thorough check.

I run a home inspection company and we do new houses all the time. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff we find
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:24 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanslam View Post
With a new rig you may not need an inspector but you may want to get a Pre-Buy inspection list and go through all on the items on the list to make sure everything is working properly before you leave the factory. I did this with mine (slightly used) and it took 4 hours but it did save me on a replacement of a failed AC unit. But it also gave me a secure feeling that everything was working before I left the dealer's lot.
Agree!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:36 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As stated, you may not need an inspection of a new rig. But, if it would give you peace of mind to have that done, there is an organization called National RV Inspectors Association (https://nrvia.org/) that trains and certifies RV inspectors and you can search for an inspector in the area where you are picking up the coach. I had one of their inspectors do an inspection of our current coach prior to us agreeing to purchase and we paid $450. Part of that was a travel charge because they had to drive almost 100 miles to inspect the coach.
COdutchstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:04 AM   #8

Thanks

Thank you all for the replies. It really helps getting multiple perspectives from people who have been there and done that.

V/r
HappiPappa
HappiPappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:26 PM   #9

I have a good friend that drove from Texas to Florida to purchase a large 2015 MH at a dealership. They spent 4 days at the dealership having things repaired, one of them being a windshield replacement. They left on Thursday or Friday before Irma hit and are returning to Tampa, FL to have their list of open defects repaired.

That is over 1,200 miles one way.
JumboJet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a