Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2023, 08:53 AM   #1

Class A inspections: what did YOU pay?

Curious what the real life general rate is for a comprehensive class A pre purchase inspection. Anecdotally I see "$499" but I wonder how realistic that is and if this varies by geography.

For those who have paid a certified inspector, what did you pay and did it include full drivetrain inspection?
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2023, 08:58 AM   #2

$1200

We paid $1200 in Phoenix, NIRVA inspector, 9+ hours, included two (engine oil and coolant) anaylses. Full drivetrain inspection. Report within 24 hours. Performed at NIRVC. 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus. Well worth it.
Old 06-05-2023, 09:02 AM   #3
NXR

We looked at getting an inspection done on a brand new gas motorhome in 2019 by an NRVIA tech: https://nrvia.org/

It was about $700 then.

If I were buying a used diesel I also would get a full fluids analysis done to assure there are no major engine/transmission/radiator/whatever problems. Someone else will have to comment on that cost.

If you are thinking about using a third-party inspection as a contingency on a purchase, think long and hard about what that wording will say. We have Realtor friends and they said they see people wanting to make a purchase contingent on a third-party home inspection but they do not specify what the criteria are for walking away. In other words, once the inspection was finished they were contractually obligated regardless of the condition.

Ray
Old 06-05-2023, 09:04 AM   #4
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmccallum
We paid $1200 in Phoenix, NIRVA inspector, 9+ hours, included two (engine oil and coolant) analyses. Full drivetrain inspection. Report within 24 hours. Performed at NIRVC. 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus. Well worth it.
Am I correct in thinking that the NRVIA report does not offer a pass/fail opinion, just the actual condition? So the owner needs to make that decision?

Ray
Old 06-05-2023, 09:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmccallum View Post
We paid $1200 in Phoenix, NIRVA inspector, 9+ hours, included two (engine oil and coolant) anaylses. Full drivetrain inspection. Report within 24 hours. Performed at NIRVC. 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus. Well worth it.
How long ago was that, and are you enjoying that Allegro?
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 11:27 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

It depends on the level of the inspection, i.e. how thorough it is. Items like engine oil & transmission analysis are typically not included in a base-price quote. Travel time is a factor too - you are paying a consultant for his time.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 01:50 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Not only does it depend on the factors Gary noted, but also it depends on if it's a gas or diesel coach. Mileage might be thrown in there too. A coach I had inspected in Memphis, the bill also included mileage for the NRVIA inspector. There wasn't a L2 inspector local so I had to get one from IN. Memphis was outside his travel radius.

4 years ago, I paid close to $1k/ea for Tiffin Phaeton coach inspections. No fluid analysis on either.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Am I correct in thinking that the NRVIA report does not offer a pass/fail opinion, just the actual condition? So the owner needs to make that decision?

Ray
Well our report had pass/fair/fail (or something like that, I don’t remember the specific wording) ratings. But only life-issue things rated a “fail”. The report is pretty much factual not advisory.

Mike
Old 06-05-2023, 02:36 PM   #9

Did mine myself!=free!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Klompus View Post
How long ago was that, and are you enjoying that Allegro?
Hi Jack!
The report was May 3(?) and we had some back and forth about various repairs, and then the repairs had to be performed. Then we had to fit transport into our schedule. Got to NIRVC this past Saturday morning. Made Bakersfield at 10:00 PM Saturday, and then up at 6:00 AM Sunday. The Bus made it home noon on Sunday. Some other emergencies kept me up last night past 2:00 AM. When it rains, it pours, I guess!

Right now I’m in the process of getting it ready for a long-planned trip, about an hour or so away. Have to leave Wednesday by noon. The previous owner was pretty meticulous and there are lots of little things that are very useful. But some major things to do too. I just finished detaching the (table type) dinette from the walls and slide floor, for example.

Best
Mike
Old 06-05-2023, 02:54 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Class A inspections: what did YOU pay?

Paid $820 for a DP motorhome in Florida with 2 fluid analysis. No chassis inspection. 1-31-2019

I thought the inspector did a good job, and took hundreds of photos.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:58 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
We looked at getting an inspection done on a brand new gas motorhome in 2019 by an NRVIA tech: https://nrvia.org/

It was about $700 then.

If I were buying a used diesel I also would get a full fluids analysis done to assure there are no major engine/transmission/radiator/whatever problems. Someone else will have to comment on that cost.

If you are thinking about using a third-party inspection as a contingency on a purchase, think long and hard about what that wording will say. We have Realtor friends and they said they see people wanting to make a purchase contingent on a third-party home inspection but they do not specify what the criteria are for walking away. In other words, once the inspection was finished they were contractually obligated regardless of the condition.

Ray
“If inspection is not satisfactory to buyer, contract will be cancelled and all deposits returned to buyer.”
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 03:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmccallum View Post
Just curious. Why was it well worth it? Did they find something wrong that saved you at least the inspection amount that you paid the inspector?
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 04:21 PM   #14
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14
“If inspection is not satisfactory to buyer, contract will be cancelled and all deposits returned to buyer.”
While that obviously would work, if I was the seller I probably would not accept that. "Satisfactory" is too subjective while an inspection report is objective.

If I'm waiting on your inspector to show up I need to take the motorhome off the market because you've paid a deposit. If you back out I've potentially lost other buyers. You're going to have to give up all or part of the deposit if you back out, depending on the deposit amount.

The other issue is what happens if the report finds something critical or really expensive. As the owner I would feel obligated to disclose that to future buyers or get it fixed. So I'm going to use your deposit money to at least partially fund those repairs because it's your fault.

Either way, if you back out I would require that you give me a copy of the inspection report so I can use it either for repairs or to prove to future buyers that I'm trying to be upfront with them. You know, "marketing".

Ray

Tags
class a, inspections