RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2017, 12:20 PM   #29

So far Miller has beaten all others by significant $$. They are also very knowledgeable and especially good for making a new guy fee comfortable with a new product!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2017, 02:47 PM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Agreed about not giving the info for a quote. BUT once you decide to go with them, then you DO have to give that info. So don't be surprised if the rate is now considerably higher.
I do my research first. Find out who might be a contender then give my info. I refuse to live my life in paranoia. Even the companies that might be a contender may be far and above on price for me. This could be because the person providing the rate I thought was good forgot to say they had a 5k deductible, had 5 other vehicles insured with the company, have been customers for 20 years, live in a different county, etc. It all matters when it comes to insurance.
A point that very few discuss when they post about insurance. No two people are the same and that is why one family will have a different rate with the same company. If we're gonna discuss insurance we need to discuss the full picture.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:52 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Tee View Post
State Farm will most likely be a waste of time. They were way higher than anyone else. After looking around I went with Progressive based on price. They never asked for a social security number until i accepted the quoted price for RV insurance.
We did check with Progressive too, and unless we wanted to do that crazy deal where you have to call them each time you use the MH, so they can limit the cost, they were still much higher than State Farm. Maybe a lot has to do with where you live, and of course your driving record, but after reading what a lot of others are paying yearly, ours is very reasonable and much lower. We have full coverage, and replacement cost for the first 5 years, based on the MSRP, not what we actually paid for the MH. It's at least worth a call.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:29 PM   #32

After reading the posts here, I checked with Hartford through AARP to day and found their annual rate about 45% below the annual 900+ dollars I pay now at Shelter Ins. Renewal time is getting close so a change is likely in the air.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:30 AM   #33

My coverage is with State Farm, as is both cars, excess liability umbrella, and house. To compare apples to apples, shouldn't you factor in how many other things you have covered with said insurance company? My premium may be $100 or $200 higher than some company I would spend hours researching and getting quotes, but I think it is worth it to be able to call a real, live human I have known personally for many years. It's not just about the $, IMHO.
Delaware beaches ----- DW & Kip the Wonder Dog
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:34 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
My coverage is with State Farm, as is both cars, excess liability umbrella, and house. To compare apples to apples, shouldn't you factor in how many other things you have covered with said insurance company? My premium may be $100 or $200 higher than some company I would spend hours researching and getting quotes, but I think it is worth it to be able to call a real, live human I have known personally for many years. It's not just about the $, IMHO.
X2....People spend thousands on a Luxury, and then try to pinch pennies when it comes to all the other stuff that goes with a MH/RV'ing. Insurance is really important, and one of things you hope you never have to use. But when you do it's nice to be able to deal directly with an Agent you know and have been with for a long time when you do have a problem.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:40 PM   #35

I agree with you Mike, insurance isn't the place to cut corners. It's also a place that can be difficult to follow without a lot of knowledge of what you're looking for. It's the old deal of knowing what to ask?

I like the idea of a broker as long as you know their a good one? Their ability to check many sources and match up the one best for your situation is a good one. If you disagree I'd like to know your thoughts?
Old 01-21-2017, 02:00 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
I agree with you Mike, insurance isn't the place to cut corners. It's also a place that can be difficult to follow without a lot of knowledge of what you're looking for. It's the old deal of knowing what to ask?

I like the idea of a broker as long as you know their a good one? Their ability to check many sources and match up the one best for your situation is a good one. If you disagree I'd like to know your thoughts?
It's not that I disagree with finding the best rate, but.....You have to compare Apples to Apples and make sure you have the coverage that meets your needs. When you have a problem is not the time to make sure you have the right coverage or company. A broker is just that, they don't take care of things or help things get processed when you have an issue.

I have found that by staying with my Agent over the course of 40+ years that my rates haven't jumped as dramatically(or at all) as others have, and that when I occasionally do check with other companies, nobody can compare overall with the coverage I have. I get really great rates that I feel are very reasonable for how I have things covered, and I don't cut corners on the coverage. The only reason I have checked rates are things I have read here about all these "great deals" people have gotten. Then you will see some of those people coming back on the next year saying their rates got bumped up as much as 50% the second year, and now they are back to square one, having to look for another company to insure them. My rates have been consistent with State Farm over many years. Every so often I can walk into my Agent's Office and see what if anything I need to adjust or any new coverages they may have.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:16 PM   #37

I agree with every word of that Mike and I too like the idea of an agent I can walk in and talk with. It's also something I've not had since I was a teenager when most things were done that way.

Nowadays it seems it's all internet, emails and texting. I currently have USAA for my car and couldn't be happier. But when I call in it's always a different person who knows me only by what's on the screen in front of them. Sure that produces a lot of screaming and hanging up but that's only to be expected!

Putting aside the actual person in an office, is the carrier from the broker any different than who I'd talk to at Geico or USAA?
Old 01-21-2017, 02:34 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
So Progressive (through USAA) is raising my premium about 200 bucks after 2 years of no claims. On another thread, someone suggested the Hartford through AARP. I'm not an AARP member, yet, but I went through their website to get a quote from Hartford. I don't think I had to give my SSN, but their quote is half of what Progressive now wants from me.

I will be joining AARP and going with them.

I would heartily recommend you join AARP BEFORE you get insurance thru The Hartford!

Here's the reason. If you join AARP yourself, you get to choose what of your personnel information they can share, and with whom, BEFORE you finalize the application. If you sign up for AARP thru The Hartford, they share you information with EVERYONE before you get the chance to go in and change your privacy preferences . . . . Just my take . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 02:41 PM   #39

Well I guess I'm still "old school" and like the person to person contact. I hate talking on the phone and sharing info with someone I do not know or really don't have any history with. At least if you are talking to a long time Agent, they know you and can also support the fact you've had no unreasonable claims. When people change companies every few years that would be an issue to me if I were selling insurance.

A Broker in my opinion really doesn't have the same clout with an Insurance Company that an Agent would have. For example when my car was stolen while we were on a trip out of State several years ago, I called my Agent and she hooked me up with a State Farm Agent we were close to. Between the two of them in a few hours I had a rental car, a check to go out and buy whatever we needed to continue on our trip( all our clothes were still packed in the car), and we continued on our trip. When they found our car a few days later, it was heavily damaged in some type of collision, probably off road as it was a Jeep. The State Farm main Office directed me to some off brand dealership to get the repairs done. One call to my Agent and it was towed directly to a Jeep Dealership. When I got home they sat down and helped me document all our losses, including clothes, hotels, food ect., and made sure we were compensated correctly. I would doubt that a broker would even get involved should you have any concerns if the Insurance paid you correctly, or questioned any part of your coverage.

And the biggest part for me is based on what I read here and other quotes I have received I'm getting a pretty good deal overall. Also there will never be a question of who is going to cover what if something happens as it is all one company rather than different companies covering different vehicles/RV's or houses.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:20 PM   #40

We use a broker in the past. Everything was hunky dory for a few years until we received a rate hike way above those irritating "minor" bumps each year. Our broker's response was basically sympathizing with us because he too had received a big hike. So we went to Geico (this was several years ago). We have a new SUV and a 12 yr old Titan pickup as well as our coach insured, and we have a general umbrella policy as well. We have separate home owners because even with Geico's multi-policy (home and auto) discount their rates for that are just too high; we found that the case with nearly all of those we checked. BTW, we check rates every year just because. I don't recall using our SS number for any of those.

As for speaking with a live person when you need their services, that seems to be luck of the draw as to the competency of the rep on the other end.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:50 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
So far Miller has beaten all others by significant $$. They are also very knowledgeable and especially good for making a new guy fee comfortable with a new product!
Miller is a good broker as is Explorer RV.

Hopefully Miller got you a quote with National Interstate Ins.
We used them for 7 yrs on our RV and truck.
Full policy plus custom equip. , personal property and full auto.

Had 2 claims ----1 minor and 1 MAJOR
Both handled efficiently, no hassles, fair and followups after repairs.

NO major premium increases over the 7 yrs !!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:24 AM   #42

All this reminds me of an ex employer. There was a boy scout Troop from Mexico who had visited our camp multiple times before this guy arrived. To make payment easier they asked for our bank's routing number and account number.

My boss announces to the office how stupid they must think he is. That you should NEVER give that information to anyone. That it was a well known scam and of course he was to smart to fall for it.

Ah, isn't that printed on every check we send out?

I didn't last much longer.

The views expressed may not be mine in five minutes.
Jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance