Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2014, 08:35 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
I use 2x12 pressure treated. 18in x 18 in. Drilled holes thru them on one side to loop nylon rope thru. Each rope is 3 ft long. No matter how many boards are on each side, I can pull them all out as 1 from each jack.
Fatfendr38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2014, 02:43 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by donie View Post
I would like to know what the members do if the spot your in isn't quite level and the leveling system reaches it's limit.
I'm thinking about making some boards to put under the pads.
I tried the plastic square ones but they squashed and didn't work to well.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
I use jack blocks I made from 5/4 treated side boards and internal brace with 3/4" plywood on each side. The advantage of this construction is the weight and they do not crack/warp like 2 x lumber.

I screwed an eyelet to position/remove the blocks with a rod. The height is around 6" and the base is around 12" x 12", but I set it up so all 4 will stack on each other to save storage space. They work great!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 001.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	78952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 002.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	78953  

vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:54 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post

Great video

2014 Coachmen Pursuit 31 BDP
waynesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:39 AM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Yes, therOne last idea. I carry a garden hoe as a multipurpose tool. It works well for positioning boards under jacks before deployment, and pushing ramps behind inner rear wheels before ascent. They're also handy for pulling that lumberyard out from under the coach when it's time to depart. When boondocking, I've used hoe to dig out high spots, which can lower wheels to help in leveling. It also is marked up as a measuring stick to help make sure there's enough clearance for rooms to extend in tight sites.

I liked your idea of the garden hoe. When it comes to measuring whether there is room enough for slides to go out I open one of the compartment doors in an area I am not sure about. My doors open wider than the slide. If the door will open all the way the slide will come out with out hitting anything.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:22 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
Quote:
Yes, therOne last idea. I carry a garden hoe as a multipurpose tool. It works well for positioning boards under jacks before deployment, and pushing ramps behind inner rear wheels before ascent. They're also handy for pulling that lumberyard out from under the coach when it's time to depart. When boondocking, I've used hoe to dig out high spots, which can lower wheels to help in leveling. It also is marked up as a measuring stick to help make sure there's enough clearance for rooms to extend in tight sites.

I liked your idea of the garden hoe. When it comes to measuring whether there is room enough for slides to go out I open one of the compartment doors in an area I am not sure about. My doors open wider than the slide. If the door will open all the way the slide will come out with out hitting anything.
Hoe does work. My DW uses her cane.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:28 PM   #34

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
Hoe does work. My DW uses her cane.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:08 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor3000 View Post
I use jack blocks I made from 5/4 treated side boards and internal brace with 3/4" plywood on each side. The advantage of this construction is the weight and they do not crack/warp like 2 x lumber.

I screwed an eyelet to position/remove the blocks with a rod. The height is around 6" and the base is around 12" x 12", but I set it up so all 4 will stack on each other to save storage space. They work great!!
Like this idea...
FMCA F438950
AUPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:06 PM   #36

I use old pieces of cypress that I had after I replaced bunks on a boat trailer. They are 10"x10"x4". They are light so they are easy to move, store and work great.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:20 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
+ 1 asuperheat... Like the light weight idea! I understand the rear wheels should not come off the ground with the emergency brake in the rear but, 1) what is wrong wth extending the jacks all the way? 2) having the front tires off the ground? Give sound mechanical facts. Theses jacks are designed to lift our MH's, not like stabilizer jacks which only support the unit.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:33 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by asuperheat View Post
I use old pieces of cypress that I had after I replaced bunks on a boat trailer. They are 10"x10"x4". They are light so they are easy to move, store and work great.
I have the same setup, but mine are 12" by 12" and they are rough sawn cedar. I also put a metal band around them to keep them from splitting and a handle to make it easier to pick up. I use my firepit poker to place them under the jacks.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:11 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Use 12 x 12 pieces of marine grade plywood laminated to a 2.5 inch height
Then sandwich them between two poly cutting boards from IKEA. Offset handles 180 degrees.

I use this setup for my jack pads. I then use strips of Rubber cut from a Horse Stall mat to drive the low side up onto the tires. The mats are about an inch thick and the strips are of different lengths and the same width as the tires.

Easy to store and durable.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:08 PM   #40

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I use the lvl's .. 4 pads made from 14 x 14 lvl's glued and screwed with nylon rope loop to move around with the awning hook. Works great.
PPAinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:01 PM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Gibson View Post
+ 1 asuperheat... Like the light weight idea! I understand the rear wheels should not come off the ground with the emergency brake in the rear but, 1) what is wrong wth extending the jacks all the way? 2) having the front tires off the ground? Give sound mechanical facts. Theses jacks are designed to lift our MH's, not like stabilizer jacks which only support the unit.
For those who have air suspension, it it bad to suspend the wheels (hanging from air bags).

Dan
Old 05-15-2015, 09:13 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I also bought some stall mat and cut it into 12" squares. It is made from recycled tires and is 3/4" thick. A 4' x 6' piece can be bought for about $48 and you can make 24 - 12" squares out of it.
I like this idea. What did you use to cut them into smaller sections ?
AC Orange is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, leveling