Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2021, 10:56 AM   #1

Class A Leveling - Slides In or Out

We are seasonal campers staying in one spot in the summer.
After a month or so the coach settles and needs to be re-leveled.
Is it ok to re-level with the slides out or should we pull them in when doing so?
Thanks in advance.
Sunrise33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2021, 11:24 AM   #2

Really don't think it will matter. Unless you just want to exercise the slide out systems
Dval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:45 AM   #3

Every coach is different but I always err towards caution and bring in my slides before releveling to keep the extended slide weight from potentially twisting the chassis during the process.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:50 AM   #4

Slides always in for leveling with ours.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rffowler55 View Post
Every coach is different but I always err towards caution and bring in my slides before releveling to keep the extended slide weight from potentially twisting the chassis during the process.
When we first bought our coach I called Winnebago with the same concern on my part - slide in or out when leveling the coach - because I was reading responses in both camps. I was told that it really doesn't matter because the coach is designed to be level either way. I expressed my concern about the coach "shifting" after leveling and then extending the slide. Same answer.

I decided this is a "do what you are most comfortable with." I have chosen to extend the slide AFTER leveling, and then recheck the level and adjust as required. That way I shouldn't put as much stress on the frame, and then I should have less adjustment after the slide is out. My 2 cents.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:06 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Slides out on mine. Not sure if itís that way because the DS two slides are longer and deeper than the PS two. Shut off engine to extend, then engine back on to level per manual.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:00 PM   #7

Making slight adjustments to level is not going to harm anything by leaving the slides out. The majority of coaches prefer to have the rig level before moving the slides anyways. However, my last Monaco said to bring coach to ride height before moving the slides. I sometimes moved things while level and nothing ever happened.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:06 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Beating a dead horse
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 01:45 PM   #9

We level with slides in, then eject the slides, and occasionally may make minor adjustments once the slides are out before shutting down the engine (90% of the time the system auto-levels perfectly).

If we are in a spot for a some period of time and there is settling (typically a gravel spot), I may *raise* a side/end a bit to compensate. If I wanted to re-level entirely I'd pull in the slides first, then re-level.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 03:33 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I don't think it will make any difference. Our owner's manual says to extend the slideouts while at travel height, before leveling. That's so you aren't extending the slides with the frame twisted, which could damage the slideout mechanism. Once they are out I can't see that leveling could do any harm. JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:06 PM   #11

Always in to level. Always bring them in before retracting levellers.
radar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:42 PM   #12

If the rig settled since last using the slides, you MUST relevel before moving the slides.
The settling will not have occurred evenly so the rig is then twisted. If twisted, thats the worse case scenario to move a slide.

So, either level using jacks and try to ensure the rig is not twisted (level front both directions, and check the back both directions) or air up the chassis before moving the slides (the air allows the chassis to straighten out).
Old 08-02-2021, 10:16 PM   #13

Dave L is correct.

The slides are far weaker and more sensitive than the chassis.

Therefore, when arriving at a site - level the CHASSIS first with the slides safely tucked into the coach (not extended). Then, once level, you can extend the weaker slides without them having to fight any undue stress.

AFTER being leveled and having extended the slides properly, if you find you have to re-level for any reason - DON'T touch the slides - they are happy and square with the coach - DON'T pull them in when the CHASSIS is NOT level or they will pull in wracked. Simply re-level the chassis with confidence that you have not abused the slides.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 04:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise33 View Post
We are seasonal campers staying in one spot in the summer.

After a month or so the coach settles and needs to be re-leveled.

Is it ok to re-level with the slides out or should we pull them in when doing so?

Thanks in advance.

Since they are out go ahead and level. Since your not moving slide itís no difference than it being in.

Tags
class a, leveling, slide