Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2016, 09:16 PM   #1

Class A MH registration in Ca

My wife and I are getting ready to upgrade from our 5th wheel to a Coach. We are looking at new Entegra Anthem's or a Cornerstone. Just curious what to expect from the Golden States taxman? We live here and don't have out of state options for registration. Thanks for any help.
Hmf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2016, 09:19 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmf23 View Post
My wife and I are getting ready to upgrade from our 5th wheel to a Coach. We are looking at new Entegra Anthem's or a Cornerstone. Just curious what to expect from the Golden States taxman? We live here and don't have out of state options for registration. Thanks for any help.
How's that song go ... Money, Money, Money ... Money

At least that's what I have read
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:21 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Find out your counties/cities tax rate and multiply that to the price of the rig.

Here in WA it's just under 10% but only on the difference if trading.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:35 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Depending on your actual County tax, you can figure right about 10% - 11% of the price of the coach.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:03 PM   #5

Depending on where you register your vehicle you can expect to pay 8 to 10 percent in Sales tax and 1 percent of the sales price in your first year of license fees, part of which is tax deductible in your annual income tax filing. The registration form will show which is tax deductible.
edrudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:07 PM   #6

Tax rates vary by county. The sales tax was 7.5% of the purchase price + the license fee in my county 6 months ago. I purchased the coach out of state from a private party. The Ca DMV was adamant that they wanted proof of the sales price and would not register it until I provided the information. Me verbally telling them was not going to work. They did not like and would not accept the bill of sale the previous owner and I drew up and both signed. The clerk mentioned getting it notarized, I quickly informed her that I would not be flying to Nebraska where I bought the coach to have a notary witness the signatures. I provided a bank statement and a copy of the check I wrote to a DMV supervisor and it was accepted. On my previous coach I had problems too, bought it from a dealer in Az. Apparently the dealer was supposed to give me a title even though the bank I had a loan through actually owned the coach. All I had was a dot permit to move the coach and a contract. They registered it as a "golden rod" title after 2 trips to the DMV and one inspection of the coach, I had to drive it to the DMV for this. Had no idea what it was and didn't pay attention at the time. The bank was supposed to convert the title to a Ca title. The bank never did. I found out when I tried to sell the coach a few years later that it could not be sold in Ca because it still had an electronic Az title. Took over a month and hours on the phone with the bank and DMV to get it fixed. Luckily I had a patient buyer. If you buy from a dealer in state your fine, if not make sure you plan for the dreaded DMV drones, they cannot think for themselves. Get lots of paperwork or better yet there are companies that handle all the registration drama for you for a reasonable fee, just contact them prior to purchase. That is what I'll be doing next time.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:45 PM   #7

The DMV has calculators for tax and registration fees on their web page:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...ecalculatorweb

Select "Automobile" as the vehicle type. Just for fun I plugged the numbers in for the base price of an Anthem in my zip code; total registration & tax came out to $43,133.00.
PantherJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:17 PM   #8

Like Dutch Star Don said a good estimate is 10% of the actual sales price for tax and registration. It will probably be a little less. The DMV website will tell you down to the penny based on where you live, and the only differences between Cities will be the actual sales tax % based on the City you live in. The DMV calculator will show the actual one time sales tax, and the registration for the year. The actual registration fee will go down each year.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:29 PM   #9

Oh, and one more thing to add. The tax rate will be for where the dealership is located in CA, not where you live (even though you live in CA). The county/city tax rate where we the dealership was located was higher than where I live (even though we took factory delivery in Indiana). Tax rate is based upon where the sale takes place.

I have no idea what an Anthem or Cornerstone sells for. But just for explanation, let's say that your purchase (not MSRP) price is $350k, and the sale takes place place in a town with a10% sales tax rate. Sales tax would then be $35k. You also have vehicle registration (tags) fees as well.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:41 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
Oh, and one more thing to add. The tax rate will be for where the dealership is located in CA, not where you live (even though you live in CA). SIC....
This is not factual...the sales tax on any vehicle licensed in CA is based on YOUR address of registration...not the dealer's address. See the fee calculator linked in the post above...asks for YOUR address.

If a tax rate was demanded that was higher than the sales tax for YOUR registration address, there was an error.

And an out of state purchased RV will be levied that sales tax by the DMV upon initial licensing in CA...unless you have owned it and registered it outside the state (which the OP says is not the case here).

And finally, vehicles previously registered outside CA (again, not the case for the OP here) do not have to be re-registered until the current expires. This is NOT like driver's licenses for folks moving into the state.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
Oh, and one more thing to add. The tax rate will be for where the dealership is located in CA, not where you live (even though you live in CA). The county/city tax rate where we the dealership was located was higher than where I live (even though we took factory delivery in Indiana). Tax rate is based upon where the sale takes place.

I have no idea what an Anthem or Cornerstone sells for. But just for explanation, let's say that your purchase (not MSRP) price is $350k, and the sale takes place place in a town with a10% sales tax rate. Sales tax would then be $35k. You also have vehicle registration (tags) fees as well.
That's not correct, it's based on where you live. Go to the DMV website and it asks where you live, you put the County in, and if it varies by City, you pick the City, and it will show you the tax. The dealer should do this automatically based on the Address you register it to.

Sorry Scarab beat me to it.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:57 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
That's not correct, it's based on where you live...

No problem...thanks for the back-up
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:18 PM   #13
YC1

Registration can be very expensive. I think we were paying $1600 for our DP motorhome. It is only about $100 here in Florida and no sales tax. That alone would have saved almost 30K. This is one native that bailed.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
This is not factual...the sales tax on any vehicle licensed in CA is based on YOUR address of registration...not the dealer's address. See the fee calculator linked in the post above...asks for YOUR address.

If a tax rate was demanded that was higher than the sales tax for YOUR registration address, there was an error.

And an out of state purchased RV will be levied that sales tax by the DMV upon initial licensing in CA...unless you have owned it and registered it outside the state (which the OP says is not the case here).

And finally, vehicles previously registered outside CA (again, not the case for the OP here) do not have to be re-registered until the current expires. This is NOT like driver's licenses for folks moving into the state.

Safe travels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
That's not correct, it's based on where you live. Go to the DMV website and it asks where you live, you put the County in, and if it varies by City, you pick the City, and it will show you the tax. The dealer should do this automatically based on the Address you register it to.

Well guys. I may be wrong, and if so, my apologies to the OP on passing along incorrect info.

I was chased sales tax at the rate of my dealers location. I questioned him about this, and he assured me that this was correct. It made sense to me because if I went into a Home Depot near my house, I am charged the local tax rate. If I went to a Home Depot near to the dealership and purchased the same item, I would be charged sales tax based upon their rate. Sales tax rates are based upon the location where ownership changes hands.

Maybe vehicles have an exemption. I will have to look into this further.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a