Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2019, 09:12 PM   #15
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
X2 on the Yokohama's. I put them on two years ago and they are smooth and quiet.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2019, 09:58 PM   #16

My coach is similar in length and weight. I run 90psi all around. Ride is fine in my 4 year old Toyo’s. Suspect some of your rough ride is attributed to over inflation.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:24 PM   #17

OK. My tires are dated 2013 so they are 6 years old. I'm going to start with just the front tires. I'm using the FMCA deal they have with Michelin and am putting them on next week. If I can tell a difference then it's the tires and I'll get the rear 4 replaced.

Stay tuned and I'll let you know how it goes.
Larry
LAOsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:53 AM   #18

Just an update.

I recently had 2 new Michelin front tires installed and took the MH out for the first trip. What a difference!! My wife said it felt like she was riding in a new MH. We've gone 5+ years with this rough ride, glad it's over. Next year I will probably replace the rear tires but may go with a cheaper tire as recommended above-- Toyo's, Hankook's, BF Goodrich's.

I've got the pressure set at the recommendations on the door, they are 105 front and 95 rear. I will weigh each axle next time I go past a scale and determine the weight of each axle. Superior Tire where I had the Michelins installed said once I get that weight, to call them and they will check the chart for the correct tire pressure.

Next move that I'd like to make to improve the ride is to install sway bar and possibly new shocks. We have 60,000 miles on the rig, so probably due for new shocks. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

Larry
2008 Itasca Suncruiser W24
Old 06-15-2019, 11:51 AM   #19

You probably would have noticed the difference in ride with almost any new quality tire. When I replaced six year old Michelins with M144 Toyo's on our coach last summer, my wife commented on how much better it rode. I had to agree.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:41 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAOsman View Post
I have a 2008 Itasca 35A gas motor home with about 60K miles that has a terrible ride. We currently have Les Schwab Gladiator tires that CW put on when we bought it 6 years ago. We've lived with the rough ride for 6 years and now are thinking to replace the tires to see if that helps the ride. The size is 255/70R 22.5. We would like to replace all the tires but they are in good shape and thinking only the front tires to see if that helps the ride.

Does anyone have any tire suggestions? At this point I'm looking at Michelin or Toyo and am leaning in that direction due to the cost. Michelin are really expensive and was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how the Toyo tires compare, or any other suggestions. I'm open at this point.

Also, after I get the tires figured out I will drive it and see if that helps, but also thinking about new shocks and adding front and rear sway bar. I appreciate any thoughts on this also.

Thanks!
Les Schwab has just started carrying a Continental Eco Hybrid tire - less rolling resistance so MAYBE better mileage. I bought them because the Toyos they have are 6 months or more old. I originally wanted the Toyos.

As you know, with motorhome tires you are paying by the month, not by the mile.

The Continentals Les Schwab had were 2 weeks old. The ride is outstanding. They track really straight. Much softer ride. So far - I really like this tire. I need to burn a few tank fulls to see if there is anything to this mpg improvement claim.

It seems like a lot of big semi trucks run Continentals, so they must be okay.

The Continentals were a few bucks more than the Toyos - not much.

PS The best ride improvement I had was Monroe shocks. They are much softer. You will give up some handling, but for me it was a tradeoff I was willing to make.

Best of Luck!
Old 06-16-2019, 09:59 AM   #21

Thanks. I will check it out.

Larry
Old 06-16-2019, 10:17 AM   #22
Dom

You could also install air bags. In installed a set from SD Truck, I think and they work great.
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, tires