Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2019, 05:55 AM   #15

The driving class is not a bad idea, if you are somewhat close to the area it is offered. Also, if you have never driven a large vehicle before, it can help with the apprehension that the size causes. We just stepped up to a class A MH, and my wife was extremely apprehensive about tackling the driving part due to size. Fortunately, Beaver Coach Sales (Bend, Or) was having a driver course for class A MH's a few days before delivery. They provided new Tiffin Phaeton DP's and had a (fairgrounds) parking lot obstacle course to rive and then off to the public highways for experience. And the price - free! BCS plans to have this course on a monthly basis now.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2019, 06:12 AM   #16

I had never driven anything larger than a 1 Ton stake body work truck (11K GVW). Driving a 30' RV wasn't an issue.

I think if you watch some of these recommended videos and rent a 35' RV for a few days, you can get your practice as well as check out likes/dislikes of the lifestyle.

Adjust seating for comfort, mirrors initially so you can see a portion of the vehicle.

Practicing in a large empty parking lot, backing, using planting strips/medians for left & right turns to understand where the rear tires will be in turns should give you enough knowledge to make you comfortable.

Understand braking distances will be much longer, you should drive looking as far ahead as you can see, adapt procedures recommended in the SIPDE or the SMITH sytem (Google). Ground viewing you should already be doing (approaching any vehicle on your left or right-always look at the steer tire closest to you...if the tire deviates from straight ahead, the vehicle will follow).
Clemson State of Mind
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 01:18 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
The videos the other folks posted sure helped us before we had to drive ours home. One way to get the feel of the big rv is to rent a big U-Hual (get the full insurance package) and go for a drive. Get on and off the freeway and cruise around in town. Drive it home and park it like you would do to load up for a trip. Seriously, if you can drive that around then the RV will be better.
brokenrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 02:34 PM   #18

Like Crasher I am fortunate in that my first big rig was 45 years ago..... But, there are some good tips in this thread.

It boggles my mind that some states allow you to get out of your Honda Accord and get into one of these rigs and drive off never having operated something this size. It also boggles my mind that the insurance companies don't care if you have the skill set necessary, and don't verify if you have the legally required credentials in those states where they are required.

I commend the OP for inquiring and his desire to get some training before getting behind the big wheel. Whatever it takes, get that training before you drive off.

FIY these are the (not enough) states that DO require an upgraded license:

RV Driver's License Requirements
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:54 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Best to know what your doing if you have air brakes. Over 26K in weight, most if not all states require a B license and especially with air brakes.
f365gt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by phays View Post
There is usually a driving school at FMCA Conventions. There was on in Perry this Spring and will probably be one in Minot, ND, in August.
Escapees organization at their national rally does the same, they call it "boot camp"!
The SMART club=special military active recreational travelers, also has driving instructors available at their national muster.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:10 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJubee68 View Post
My husband and I are planning on buy a Class A Motorhome in the next few months. My husband is wondering if there is any place that offers classes on driving a Class A BEFORE you purchase one. Like has inventory they teach people on so they can decide if they feel comfortable even going any further with considering purchasing something that big. Most of the places seem to require you have the rig already.

Thanks for any help.
I understand what you're going through but a Class A coach is not difficult to drive. The driving videos posted above are where I started and learned many valuable tips, then when we bought our coach from a private party 1,500 miles away, we arranged for a driving instructor to meet us at the point of purchase and take us through a day and a half of training before we made the trek home. It all worked out very well.
So if it's something you really want to do, you'll find that driving the rig is one of the easier aspects.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:31 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
a Class A coach is not difficult to drive
A blanket statement which is not applicable to all. I know people that can't drive their way out of a wet paper bag in a Honda Accord. They would be a danger to anyone with a quarter mile if they drove a 30K rig almost as wide as their lane.

Some people have a knack for it. Most people can learn. It's not "easy".
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
Old 05-07-2019, 10:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by f365gt4 View Post
Best to know what your doing if you have air brakes. Over 26K in weight, most if not all states require a B license and especially with air brakes.
Not exactly: https://www.campanda.com/magazine/rv...-requirements/
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by f365gt4 View Post
Incorrect. MOST states require no special license. One more time:

RV Driver's License Requirements
Old 05-08-2019, 10:14 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
A blanket statement which is not applicable to all. I know people that can't drive their way out of a wet paper bag in a Honda Accord. They would be a danger to anyone with a quarter mile if they drove a 30K rig almost as wide as their lane.

Some people have a knack for it. Most people can learn. It's not "easy".
I never said it was easy. That's your word, not mine. I simply said if they really want to do this, it is not difficult and should not be a show stopper then proceeded to suggest ideas for them to properly learn how to drive a coach.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:18 AM   #26

Lazy Days in Tampa has driving course in their coaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJubee68 View Post
My husband and I are planning on buy a Class A Motorhome in the next few months. My husband is wondering if there is any place that offers classes on driving a Class A BEFORE you purchase one. Like has inventory they teach people on so they can decide if they feel comfortable even going any further with considering purchasing something that big. Most of the places seem to require you have the rig already.

Thanks for any help.
Thanks for all your replies. We did call Lazy Days in Tampa since we live on east coast of Florida and they said they do have a course you can sign up to use their coaches and get a feel for whether this is something you could successfully navigate before making a purchase and finding out it isn't your cup of tea after all!
Thanks to all of you. You are a great bunch of people!
JuJubee68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, motorhome