Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2022, 03:33 AM   #1

Class A Motorhome Storage Covers

I've always stored my motorhome in a warehouse during the late fall, winter, and early spring. I was notified that the warehouse is renting out the entire warehouse to a company that currently occupies most of the warehouse already. Looking at covers, and there seems to be a never-ending list of brands and suppliers. I came across a place called carcovers.com who sells rv covers and has a Gold Shield 5L - RV Cover for Class A with a lifetime warranty. Anyone familiar with the company or their covers? Thanks
1stSgtUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2022, 03:47 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
There’s a bunch out there. We’ve used many for our boats. Regardless of the source, the material makes a big difference in how long they’ll last. No cover will keep mold and mildew, dust and bugs from showing up and they are all very hard to clean. Check to make sure your rig can use a cover. Covers can damage the paint and many advise not to use one.
Old 04-13-2022, 09:37 AM   #3

We got a cover from carcover.com for our 31’ Hurricane. Did the job well. I managed to rip a big hole in it pulling on one of the straps. Sent a photo to carcover.com and received a complete replacement cover a few weeks later.

I always give extra points to companies that stand behind their products.
JohnBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 05:22 PM   #4

I am glad this topic came up as I've been pondering it as well. I got my Allegro last fall, too late in the season to use it or bring it home. The dealer stored it for me outdoors uncovered. My thinking is that ant kind of cover, even if it's just enough to cover the roof and down the sides over the tops of the slide outs and awnings, a "bikini top" so to speak, would be OK? I've been told that the damage from winter occurs when snow/ice melts and refreezes in seams and joints around roof panels and vents, working them open and causing leaks. If that's the case then wouldn't a simple plastic tarp, well secured so it doesn't flap in the breeze and beat the paint, work as well? Not that I'm cheap (I am really) but the $500.00 for a cover could be better spent on gas going places instead.
Britbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 06:55 AM   #5

Agree about type of material, that's why I was asking about this company, their lifetime warranty, and if anyone was familiar with them and their covers. I'm not familiar with RV covers. I've had several car, and boat covers, all custom made. However the gentleman who has made these doesn't do large motorhome covers. I wouldn't want a cover made out of what my current boat cover is made out of, too heavy. My car cover is too light, and is more of a dust cover for cars stored inside. Don't agree about covers keeping dust, mold, and mildew off unless RV cover materials are that different from other covers. I've had a cover on my bass boat since I purchased it in 2000, stored outside, and never had issues with mold or mildew. Key is a good quality materials, sufficient ventilation and care. I don't have room to build a large building to store it at my house, and the storage that I am finding is not as nice, or close, and have the same type access I currently have. Did find one, but the cost is more than what my mortgage used to be. Thanks for the replies.
1stSgtUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 09:02 AM   #6

Always check the product's weight , some covers require a crane to get them onto the RV roof and three men to install / remove.
Old 04-14-2022, 11:19 AM   #7

Just remember that if there is a high enough wind, you cannot install or remove the cover or you will for a short duration, know just what flying like a bird is. So you have to watch what the projected wind will be the day you want to remove the cover and take it off. You may need to remove the cover several days or a day or two prior to the day you want to take your RV out. Covers do flap and move. I have seen this in our RV storage lot. Some are destroyed by the wind and sun in a year or two. A good RV protective wax is what I and my friends use several times a year. Pick a side and do it. Next month do the other side and then the following month do the front and rear. Then start allover again. That way you are not doing the entire RV at one time.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 12:33 PM   #8

FWIW. I bought a good cover for our new 98 Pace Arrow Vision. I put it on one time. Never again. One mistake on the roof would have made for a bad day. One or two good coats of wax each year was all the protection I have needed for our coaches for the past 24 years. It's a lot safer too. I kept the cover in it's bag for a few years before I gave it away.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 07:28 PM   #9

Don't waste your money on cheap polypropylene covers. The sun eats them in a year or two. Polyester is much more durable, but heavier (i.e. harder to install) and rougher, so more likely to rub through or scratch paint. You can get polyester covers with soft linings, which makes them even heavier. Not sure about the very top of the line ($$$) covers... perhaps they have some miracle fabric that is both soft and durable. I use a heavy polyester cover with no lining because my 18 year old motorhome does not have full body paint and the cover hasn't damaged anything so far. Mine came from Budge covers, who have specials occasionally.

Agree that installing a cover in the wind is impossible, but it can be a help when it's time to take it off.
Old 04-14-2022, 07:44 PM   #10

Had covers for 7 years. They are a pain to put on in the wind. I'd go cheap and buy 1 every year or every other year. You'll hate humping it up on the roof. So glad that is over for me. Btw, Adco is pretty much top of the line. Almost double the price of the cheapies:-). Lastly, make sure when putting it on, you don't have sharp edges. I ripped a brand new one putting it on because it hit a snag and I was too lazy to walk over and unsnag it.
Mile Marker 42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 05:23 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My coach has also had an Adco cover the past maybe 6 years. It's light for the size and as others have commented, wait for a calm day for installation & removal. Having couple helpers makes it much easier. With all the sharp corners padded and straps snugged up, I've had no problems with the wind.

Tags
class a, cover, motor, motorhome, storage