Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2017, 08:33 PM   #1

Class A Newbie!

Hello! My wife and I will be picking up a 2008 Forest River Georgetown 373 next week and we are very excited. The previous owner took great care of this MH and it is in fantastic condition.

I have been a member of other forums but I must say that this forum is top notch. Tons of good information and knowledgeable members offering up their experience.

When I test drove the MH the passenger side of the vehicle seemed so so so far away! It's gonna take a while to get used to keeping it between the lines. I have experience towing bumper pull trailers but this is whole different bag of tricks. Any advice on turning and keeping it between the lines will be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2017, 08:41 PM   #2

Turning takes practice and use your mirrors to keep it centered between the lines.
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:43 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
from WA State!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:44 PM   #4

Some suggest putting a dot on your windshield which aligns with the center lines on the highway through your line if vision. If the dot is on the lines.....you will stay in that position on the road......you can probably search you tube for lane alignment in an RV.
Dano52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:54 PM   #5

Youtube “RV Driving skills ... reference points”
Dano52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:56 PM   #6

Here is what helped me when I got my first motorhome (38 ft).

Stop your coach on a little used road, and center it in the lane. While seated in the driver's seat, place (or have someone else place) a piece of tape at the base of the windshield where your visual sight line aligns with the centerline of the road.

When you're meeting that big truck, a quick glance to insure that the tape is on the centerline of the road will give you confidence that you're centered in your lane.

Most new motorhome drivers tend to drive too far to the right in the lane. After a few trips, it will be easy.

As for turning right, try driving straight ahead through the intersection until your hip is lined up with the curb you have to miss as you turn right. When you reach that point, then quickly turn the front wheels and watch the mirror to be sure your rear tires do not impact the curb. Left turns are much easier.

Enjoy your new motorhome.

Fred
Old 11-02-2017, 10:22 PM   #7

I like Fred's idea...so simple it's genius!

Your mirrors should be adjusted so that you see the sides of your vehicle, with the road lines clearly visible. Then it's just a matter of continually scanning left to right mirror to make sure you're centered. Your wide view will help, but they're mostly to help you see the whole lane to either side, so you can pass or see someone about to pass you.

Ditto the practice part. It takes a little getting used to where your turning wheels are in relation to your seat, but you can do it. A great idea is to find an empty parking lot and use the lines as your targets. Remember that your rear wheels pivot tighter than your front end does, so you HAVE to give yourself more width initially to make that turn and not bop the curb...or WORSE.

I was taught that you want to line up your turn entry just in front of your seat, then begin your turn. Since your steering wheels are behind you, this method seems to work pretty well. Again, practice somewhere devoid of obstacles until you're more attuned to how that beast handles, THEN try it out on the road.

Enjoy your new addition, and hope to see you out there!
ArgoPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:03 AM   #8

I installed dots on windshield but like to have two. One for R lane marker line one for left.
There aren't any center lines so only you still have to guess on whats centered.
The markers are espevially helpful in narrow construction zones and land shifts... lets you keep eyes ahead on the road.

Re turning you have to get used to front wheels being at a different lication than your car.
Think about where the,wheels are and when you need to initiate the turn based on that... eg DPs wheels are ususlly in line w driver or maybe a little behind that... very different if wheels are out ahead of driver
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:32 AM   #9
epj

Initially I had trouble keeping in the center of the lane. I learned that if I concentrated my vision a good distance ahead that keeping in the center wasn’t much problem. Your lower mirrors should be showing you where your rear wheels are.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:42 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here is a good video to watch which will help you

Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:54 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I've taken a couple of drivers' courses but nothing beats having experience driving down the road in all kinds of conditions. A couple of posts have mentioned it and the best advice in making turns is just know where your front wheels are in relation to where you sit, and when they are past the intersecting curb you can start your turn. Find a parking lot to practice so you have confidence when you're in traffic. I'm not a believer in using your mirrors to stay positioned because that's where you WERE, not where you're going. Get in the habit of looking farther AHEAD of you and you'll naturally stay centered. Don't be afraid to slow down and take it easy, I'd rather hold up traffic a little than stop traffic because I banged another car. Keep it between the mustard and the mayonnaise Have fun!
David3811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:26 AM   #12

Like you I am a new owner and found the tip of my windshield wiper, drivers side worked out to be my point of reference.
Rsb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:32 AM   #13

I've driven large vehicles all of my life in our businesses, so it was an easy transition to go to a class A coach. The biggest error I see while meeting or following one is that the driver hugs the right side of the lane. Even my brother-in-law who drove a conventional semi had to relearn where to position himself in the lane. Practice and checking the mirrors will retrain your brain to recognize where the center is. You will need to force yourself to drive more to the left till it becomes automatic. Just yesterday, a class A was behind my in city traffic and he was crowding the guy in the right lane next to him. Orienting your position with the mirrors and wider turns will soon become automatic and the ride will become as enjoyable as the destination.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:51 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
In addition to the rear view mirrors I use the rear view camera to watch my toad and keep centered in my lane. Camera is also adjusted to show when I have passed a slower vehicle and can return to the slow lane. Look way ahead of you and be ready to stop or slow down for every other driver on the road that is determined to get past you and IMMEDIATELY make a right hand turn.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, newbie