RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2020, 10:48 AM   #1

Class A Oil Change

My motorhome has been sitting for about a month. I need to change the oil. I know conventional wisdom is to fire it up, let it get to operating temperature and drain the old oil out of the crankcase.

I was wondering what good that does? Isn't all the oil that will drain out of the engine passages already in the pan from sitting for a month? Seems like all I'll do by starting it is to redistribute the old oil all through the engine.

Why not just drain it now without starting then let the drain pan sit under there for a couple days so all the old oil drips out?

Thoughts?

Nashville, TN or Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2020, 11:04 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would just drain it, it may take longer do to being cold but you are right that all the oil is in the pan.

jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I would just drain it, it may take longer do to being cold but you are right that all the oil is in the pan.
I agree.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:55 PM   #4

Warming it will dissolve any sludge in the pan and passages, which will then drain with the oil.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:06 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Warming it will dissolve any sludge in the pan and passages, which will then drain with the oil.

I've heard this reasoning many times but I don't buy it. Any sludge was warm the last time the engine ran and it drained down into the oil fan when the engine was shut off.

The only reason I can think of for warming the engine might be to ease draining in very cold weather. Even then it would probably have to be well below freezing to have any notable effect. Especially with multi-viscosity oils (10W30 or 15W40, for example). They still flow well at low temperatures.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 429CV23 View Post
Exactly, warm oil flows better
KenZ71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:18 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I've always drained my oil cold. If you follow a proper maintenance schedule, there should be very little to no sludge. If you have a tendency to go way past the manufacturers recommended schedule then probably a good idea to warm it up first.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:35 PM   #8

You run it to wash the condensation and contamanints off the inside of the engine block.
Condensation can build up on the inside of any thing, surely you all have seen this.

The circulating oil will mix with the moisture and contamanints and bring them down to the oil pan.

It also thins the oil a bit so it flows out before the contamanints and moisture settles to the bottom.

What's the big deal with running the engine a few minutes. That way you know it runs before you screw with the fuel filters.

You don't need bring it up to operating temps, just get it warm.

PS: never let the engine sit empty of oil. In an emergancy, you want to be able to move it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:51 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've changed my oil cold when it had been sitting, the only problem I ran into twice was I couldn't loosen the oil filter so had to warm it up to loosen the oil filter.

My procedure for draining oil is...first loosen the oil filter just a tad to make sure I can loosen it.

Then I drain the oil and change the filter.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:51 PM   #10

X2 on getting the oil warm before draining for all of the reasons that the other posters cited. You want all of the contamninants in the old oil be be in suspension and not stuck on interior surfaces of the engine as they will be and where they will stay when the engine is cold. So when the new oil is dumped into the engine, once started, those contaminants will then go into the fresh oil contaminating it. There can never be 100% fresh oil... some stuff will still be there, but a lot less than if cold oil.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 429CV23 View Post
That was the common knowledge before detergent oil. If you do regular oil changes ,there won't be any sludge, besides, sludge isn't broken up by heat, it's created by it.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:04 PM   #12

The biggest reason for a hot engine (and I mean drive for 30 minutes) is to drive any moisture out of the engine, especially if it has been sitting for awhile.

Heat will not dissolve bad sludge.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:39 AM   #13

If heat drives out the moisture before changing the oil, wouldn't heat also drive out the moisture after changing the oil?

Also, I have a hard time believing there's much in the way of sludge in oil that's only been in there for a little over 3,000 miles. I think I'll drain it cold.
Nashville, TN or Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:32 PM   #14

cold,,,if ya got sludge ya got problems. you will get more oil out as its in the pan like said above..

Tags
class a