Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2016, 12:06 PM   #1

Class "A" over the dash TV... Why?

I see many motorhomes with the TV above the dash and also as an option with most motorhomes you can order. The only reason I can see for having it is laying down on the coach. Viewing it any other way would strain your neck.

I've read posts saying many of you took the TV out. So I want to make sure there's not something I'm missing?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2016, 12:33 PM   #2

We put two lighter weight Lazy Boy recliners where the couch was on the drivers side slide.. When we get parked I just slide them out facing the tv up front.. there is plenty of room to walk by the chairs to the kitchen.. A friend made us a folding oak table to go between the chairs.. works nicely for us.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:34 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our TV

We moved our TV from the front to the side of the coach. This makes it much more comfortable to sit directly across from the tv, on the couch to watch the TV. Though you may have the option to run it, I would suggest not turning on the TV while you are on the road. Keeping the TV off, will allow the driver and the co-pilot to focus on what is going on 'Down the road'! :-)

Happy trails

Eric and Carol Anderson
luvdoggiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:48 PM   #4

I know this is a bit "apples and oranges", since the coaches you're looking at are longer and more decked out than ours. In our case, we wanted a dinette instead of a couch and there is not enough room for both. The dinette option means that two people can face the tv. This, along with the swivel rocker, made the front tv the better way to go.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:56 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When looking for our current motorhome, getting one with the tv across from the recliner and couch was our number one priority. We are now looking to upgrade to a diesel pusher, and still have the same number one priority. It seems there are more coaches now built with the floorplan like this, than there used to be.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:03 PM   #6

Well in our coach there is also on seat at the table that can see the front tv much better than the side tv. Also it's not that bad from the couches even when not laying down. At home wife sits on a couch perpendicular to the tv and about same distance. Sure not as good as face on but it does make for more seating.

Tom
Old 11-28-2016, 01:17 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We have a TV fire place on the curb side with a recliner and foot stool with a couch across. I sit or lay on the couch so that TV is positioned where it is logical to watch. The TV over the front is the natural position to watch from the recliner.
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:18 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I guess that's just an easy place for them to put it!

This is how we solved the problem. Might give you some ideas!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/the-...ne-136185.html
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 02:16 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
We have the TV in the front as well as one at the rear of the living room. It makes it nice sitting at the dining table that you can see a TV from either side.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 02:24 PM   #10

Bear in mind that on older coaches that were equipped with CRT TVs that was the most logical place for them. A decent sized rear projection TV was huge, and weighed a veritable ton. Try to think of where else you could put a 27"ish CRT TV that wouldn't consume otherwise valuable space. Now that lightweight LED TVs are ubiquitous we see TVs all over the coach, but can still find them in the front overhead.

I removed the CRT TV from the front cabinet on my coach and replaced it with a 32" LED TV. I plan on eventually putting a televator behind my j lounger so I can put a larger TV on the passenger side, facing the couch.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 02:27 PM   #11

The why goes back to very heavy tube tv's and finding a place to mount them. Space was at a premium and that space was available. In modern times, mounting it there on a swing arm works fine for many floor plans, but with flat screens there are much more options.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 02:29 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
TV as a Window Shade

With flexible OLED's I wonder how long before someone decides to turn a window shade into a TV. Talk about your space and weight savings.

Of course, now that I've mentioned it here, it can't be patented which is fine by me.
Waywards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:27 PM   #13

I would rather look out my front window in a campground. Looking out the side usually has you looking at other RV's. For me, a front TV is mandatory. I want to look out front and see the TV.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:56 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In mine, the only place that a TV could be seen from ALL seating positions is in the front, either overhead (which mine is) or down on the dash (which my brother's is). I have a couch on the passenger side and a dinette on the driver side. Both cab seats also swivel so that, while not the ideal angle, their occupants can also see the TV.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash