Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2016, 07:48 PM   #29

We bought our '04 Newmar a couple months ago with all maintenance records (and solid wood cabinets) and could not be happier because we made a value judgment about the seller. Apply your own requirements and buy from someone you think is honorable, face to face. In the end, you have to depend on your own comfort level with the seller. Most of us are adults and have got to our position in life by understanding how to judge people. We did not go through a dealer because I cannot read their motivations.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2017, 07:50 AM   #30

It may be a good idea to stop at Lazy Days in Fl, that way you can look at a large number of MH at your own pace, not recommending to buy there but there is a lot of them for comparison, If you find something you & her like you now have a model to look for, RV shows suck unless you got lots of money to throw away, there are bunches of Nice DP out there !!!!!! Rich
(I wish we could afford a DP new or used )
pushtrk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:11 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
The more rigs you look at the more knowledge you gain and will develop of the "Likes" and "Don't Like" in regards to floor plan and options. You'll have to also decide how old of rig you are comfortable buying. The older the rig the bang for the $$$ that you can get.

We bought our first rig, a Class C, in 1997. We had looked for a couple years, my wife wanted ultra small assuming it would be easier to drive. I ultimately bought a 31' Class C new at auction. Glad I did as we soon learned anything smaller would have not been big enough for extended travel. My wife goes to dog shows so the overhead bunk worked out for dog crates and storage.

After about 8 years we (mostly I) decided we to upgraded to a DP. I wanted a larger rig with more power and the ability to tow a vehicle. We started going to RV shows to see what was available and soon learned there was a distinct difference in an entry level DP versus a high end model both in look and appearance but also quality. We also stopped at RV Dealerships to look at previously owned rigs. Over time we found what we liked and started to zero in on those types/models. Ultimately, in 2008, I found one listed on Ebay in Florida while we were driving my parents to there winter home. We decided to stop and look. The rig was as described and in excellent shape. It was a 2002 Monaco Windsor, the Windsor is the 4th in the line up for Monaco under the Dynasty and many of the same features. The Ebay bidding was approaching the reserve price but we decided to think about it. Got back home in East Tennessee and watched the auction and ultimately called the dealer and made an offer slightly below the reserve which he accepted. The price was 1/2 of the NADA value and we've really enjoyed the coach over the last 9 years.

Occasionally I still look at use coaches. Yesterday on Ebay I found a 2002 Monaco Windsor almost identical to mine. The buy it now price was actually higher then what I paid 9 years ago, I guess I got a heck of deal!!!
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:33 AM   #32
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Jim, I hope you're as happy with yours as we are with ours! I didn't know squat about MH's when we lucked up on this one, but it's been great!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:43 AM   #33

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimc79 View Post
https://rv.org

Thanks, had not seen this, I will purchase this a lot less expensive than a wrong purchase . Had not thought about going to RV Shows in other cities. We're in Nashville and the show here is ok but last year they only had 1 class A. There will be no debt when I purchase will pay cash, it will be used.

Thanks for the advise.
Jim
Since you tend to have the same buying principles that I do, then it's just a matter of dropping back in the years for meeting your budget and getting the quality level that you might want.
For us, there were certain things that were deal breakers and having a side radiator was a must. In fact, I think if you would use that as part of your criteria, it would narrow things down considerably, as you will find that these units are usually at the upper end and the rest of it, pretty much follows suit as a quality built coach.
In our case and once we narrowed it down to model and floor plan, we only had to find the right price and condition for an 05, 06 or an 07. These 3 met the criteria that we both wanted and saved being overwhelmed by any further searching.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:55 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Quality is a confusing item and is bandied about rather nonchalantly.

"In business, engineering and manufacturing, quality has a pragmatic interpretation as the non-inferiority or superiority of something; it is also defined as fitness for purpose. Quality is a perceptual, conditional, and somewhat subjective attribute and may be understood differently by different people."

IMO if the manufacturer can convince you that you will get more quality by spending more to buy a high end coach their marketing department has done it's job.

Buying a high end coach does not absolutely mean you got better quality (better build) than an entry level. Both may have been built on the same assembly line by the same workers. It simply means you paid more and have some extra features. The number and quality of fasteners is the same, the wiring and water piping are from the same roll and the time taken to install is about the same.

Many seem to think real wood means quality. There are manufactured woods that are better purposed for some uses than real, look as good, last as long, are lighter and cost less. All you have to do is consider the number of laminate flooring installations as opposed to hardwood.

A gently used entry level coach may be more quality than a well used high end coach. It is a matter of perception and personal standards. "Fit for purpose" may be a better indicator of purchasing standards.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:56 AM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
When I/we jumped into thw world of RV it was Aug 2105. We bought a 2016 24' class C Forest River Solera which we kept for 6 months. I knew after just a short time that I wanted an A so we traded it in on a 2016 Tiffin 32SA gasser. The floor plan was good, tv location was excellent and it drove well. I then wanted to step up to a DP knowing I wanted more towing torque just in case I bought a bigger toad and an 1/2 bath was going to be a must have.We did some looking at other brands and descided to stick with Tiffin. I had just had a 40' x 14 cover built at my home so I wanted to stay in the 40' range. We found a great deal on a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38 QRA with the 360 engine and 3000 transmission. It had the extra bath along with a stack washer /dryer. I didnt need all the extras like on demand hot water, heated floors or a dishwasher. My wife loved the interior color and she could have the master bathroom all to herself. Just remember " Happy Wife - Happy Life." I still look at the ads daily but know that the one we picked out suits us wee and our lil dog likes it too. Good luck in your hunt.
RodneyLadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:40 AM   #36

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodneyLadd View Post
When I/we jumped into thw world of RV it was Aug 2105. We bought a 2016 24' class C Forest River Solera which we kept for 6 months. I knew after just a short time that I wanted an A so we traded it in on a 2016 Tiffin 32SA gasser. The floor plan was good, tv location was excellent and it drove well. I then wanted to step up to a DP knowing I wanted more towing torque just in case I bought a bigger toad and an 1/2 bath was going to be a must have.We did some looking at other brands and descided to stick with Tiffin. I had just had a 40' x 14 cover built at my home so I wanted to stay in the 40' range. We found a great deal on a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38 QRA with the 360 engine and 3000 transmission. It had the extra bath along with a stack washer /dryer. I didnt need all the extras like on demand hot water, heated floors or a dishwasher. My wife loved the interior color and she could have the master bathroom all to herself. Just remember " Happy Wife - Happy Life." I still look at the ads daily but know that the one we picked out suits us wee and our lil dog likes it too. Good luck in your hunt.
Good that you're finally happy with a purchase, but buying that new and changing your mind more than once over such a short period of time, had to cost a small fortune and not many could or would want to withstand that kind of financial punishment.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:51 AM   #37

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvadventure View Post
I made the mistake of not having a 100% buy in by the co- pilot on a great coach, I put a deposit down on it. When we were going up to pick it up, I heard all about how I got everything I wanted, but she couldn't stand the kitchen! I was fortunate to get my deposit back, and we bought a coach that made us both happy. Good luck! Regards Marc
I wish my late DW had said more before we bought the Magna. Turns out she didn't like the MH but let me have my way just because she saw how much I liked the rig. Now that she's gone I guess it doesn't matter but it still "haunts" me
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:00 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Many seem to think real wood means quality. There are manufactured woods that are better purposed for some uses than real, look as good, last as long, are lighter and cost less. All you have to do is consider the number of laminate flooring installations as opposed to hardwood.

A gently used entry level coach may be more quality than a well used high end coach. It is a matter of perception and personal standards. "Fit for purpose" may be a better indicator of purchasing standards.
I agree with some of what you say, but I think I could argue pretty successfully that cabinetry built from solid wood, or veneered plywood and dovetailed/wood glued is a lot better than printed wood grain vinyl over particle board held together with staples and hot glue any day!

Also from my limited experience, coaches that have closer tolerances, better fit, and lack of construction debris when you start looking behind drawers, cosmetic panels tend to reflect "pride in workmanship" on the part of the builders, from the lowest hourly wage employee to the highest paid CEO. From what I've seen, those coaches also tend to hold together and provide more trouble free service over time than ones that appear to lack in that same pride in workmanship and more use of lower price and or "quality" (there's that word again) materials. . . .Just my take.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:16 AM   #39

You have a lot of great advice here and a lot to take in. I can only adds my experience to this. I spent about three years just looking and reading on-line. RV Trader, RVT.com, there are others including dealers websites.

I narrowed down the options/features we wanted and that led me to the size I wanted - at least 40 feet. Example, bath and a half, king size bed, TV in the "living room - not over the seats, decent size galley, residential fridge lots of storage. Your list of wants may be different, but be thoughtful. Consult your Co-Pilot along the way. Mine delegated to me, but had her own list of must haves - the bath and a half an example. Use this forum like you staring to do. I lurked here for three years and only joined after we purchased.

So I had that in my mind, decided that a tag axel was required. Learned about weight carrying capacities - you should as well. Then it was tire kicking at dealers and RV shows to get a feeling about quality. I already had learned a great deal on that from here and other places. That time narrowed it down to just a few brands. So did my checking account, but that is also part of your learning time.

Wanted used, about 2 years old as all of the bugs have been worked out AND a big chunk of deprecation has already happened. Also a newer unit had more of the more modern entertainment features we wanted. There are lots of "new verses used" threads on here. Some "new" buyers will dispute the bugs worked out statement, but my observation is that it is true more often than not even with a good higher end manufacturer.

Next step is finding a dealer you can trust and do business with. My dealer was Tom Lindstrom in the LA area. Saw an ad on-line from him and drove to California and made the deal. Had the coach and car set up for towing and drove it home. The actual series of events was more complicated then I just described, but I had narrowed down my choices to a very few models and he happen to have one of my choices on his lot.

You could obviously buy directly from a private seller, I did spend some time exploring that route but nothing ever clicked.

But my key advice here is to DO YOUR REASERCH first, not after you fall in love with a specific model. Know the price ranges for the models you are interested in so you know if you are getting snowed from a dealer. If you narrow down your choices based on your research, then that is doable. Don't be in a hurry either. Took me a year to find the one we have now.

Good luck, and have fun. I enjoyed the time I spent before purchase. Read EVERYTHING you can
X-OEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:55 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
I agree with some of what you say, but I think I could argue pretty successfully that cabinetry built from solid wood, or veneered plywood and dovetailed/wood glued is a lot better than printed wood grain vinyl over particle board held together with staples and hot glue any day!

Also from my limited experience, coaches that have closer tolerances, better fit, and lack of construction debris when you start looking behind drawers, cosmetic panels tend to reflect "pride in workmanship" on the part of the builders, from the lowest hourly wage employee to the highest paid CEO. From what I've seen, those coaches also tend to hold together and provide more trouble free service over time than ones that appear to lack in that same pride in workmanship and more use of lower price and or "quality" (there's that word again) materials. . . .Just my take.
Absolutely the wood will last longer than particle board, veneered plywood may last even longer than real wood and will not warp. The cost for these is also much higher.

My point is that while Canyon Stars and King Aires are likely built on the same assembly line the tolerances should be the same but the fit for purpose may be as good or better on the Canyon Star depending upon who is buying it.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:17 PM   #41

Gordon like in post #27 you are hitting the nail on the head, so to say..
Old 01-03-2017, 05:06 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
I am going through this process now for a purchase in 2018 when the DW starts getting her "old lady" money. I have a list of new models as well as a list of slightly used models (RVT, RVTrader). I don't want something more than 5 years old. We also have our budget picked already.

We are going to the Tampa RV show to look at as many models that we can. We will most likely go again next year before we make the final decision. I would like to stay between 38 and 40 feet if possible. But it a great deal fell in my lap for a 42'+- I would not refuse it.

One thing I found out early was to look for a particular size engine (360HP) or bigger to have the towing capacity for my toad. Anything with a 340 HP or smaller I don't look at. I also make sure it has the 3000 Allison transmission.

Our gasser may go up for sale this spring to get ready for the DP purchase. This will mean we will not travel this year, but we will be saving more money for the down payment for the DP.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, advice