Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2017, 05:48 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jim, you have been given a lot of great advice already. I will touch on some topics that have not been raised but something to consider (the reality of owning a motorhome):

1. new or used, all these beasts have problems. IMO, many of the newer coaches are so burdened with complex features and systems that you can find yourself often chasing gremlins that create issues.
2. If you buy new, it is likely you will spend the first year of ownership working out bugs, either by taking the coach to your dealer or to the factory for repairs. Some folks see a factory trip one or twice a year as an adventure, some see it as a PITA.
3. Think about what you will do if you live in a coach full time and something breaks that prevents you from having access to it for some length to time. We spent 3 nights with our two dogs in a motel in TX while our coach was being repaired. Not awful but not a lot of fun. Just think about how you will deal with that type of issue should it happen.
4. Some manufacturers provide better customer support than others. Read the owners forums to get a handle on which seem to be better at that. Good support from the manufacturer (whether you buy new or used) can be a real plus.
5. Owning a motorhome is a better experience, IMO, if you are handy with tools and don't mind fixing things you can fix yourself. Like many of us who own these beasts, I actually enjoy tinkering with it, fixing it, making repairs that are within my capability. There will always be something to fix and many of those fixes can be done by an owner who is willing and capable.

We are on our third motorhome and have enjoyed all three. We don't full time but do travel 6 months or more each year. Even with all the potential pitfalls of owning and using a motorhome, we have loved doing it.

Good luck with your search.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2017, 05:54 AM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Seems odd that somebody would put "tag axle" at or near the top of their wish list. It's an artifact, not a feature. You get a tag axle if the back end of the coach weighs more than a single rear axle can handle. Buy a big enough coach and it will employ a tag. If not, it won't. Having one when the weight doesn't require it would be a waste anyway. Adds cost both upfront and in the future (tires), and takes up space both underneath and inside (wheel wells).
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:01 AM   #45

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Seems odd that somebody would put "tag axle" at or near the top of their wish list. It's an artifact, not a feature. You get a tag axle if the back end of the coach weighs more than a single rear axle can handle. Buy a big enough coach and it will employ a tag. If not, it won't. Having one when the weight doesn't require it would be a waste anyway. Adds cost both upfront and in the future (tires), and takes up space both underneath and inside (wheel wells).
Very true, however some (not all) mfg's are at the upper limit of weight carrying capacity on the drive (rear) axle. overloading can be a real issue if one is not careful..
DO NOT ASSUME that the mfg has allowed for all the stuff you will be loading into the coach!!!
Before You buy, go get an axle weight front and rear, this will tell you whether or not a tag is needed
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:18 PM   #46

Quote:
Very true, however some (not all) mfg's are at the upper limit of weight carrying capacity on the drive (rear) axle. overloading can be a real issue if one is not careful..
DO NOT ASSUME that the mfg has allowed for all the stuff you will be loading into the coach!!!
Before You buy, go get an axle weight front and rear, this will tell you whether or not a tag is needed
I certainly agree with this. I had narrowed down my search to about a 40 foot or larger coach. In looking at weight carrying capacities for various models was alarmed that some had hardly any cargo carrying ability. This was our first RV of any sort, so didn't really have a handle on how much all of the stuff we would take weighed. I did not want to have to worry about it every time we went shopping.

As far as losing some storage, yes you do, but for us (maybe not you) that has not been an issue.

Also everyone always talked about the ride quality, and cross wind handling as well. Never owned a coach without a tag so I cannot contrast but those who have owned both were certainly able to convince me there was something to those aspects.
X-OEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:20 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Gary;
Good point.

There may be a couple reasons for asking for a tag.

Not many gas coaches have a tag so there is a high likelihood a diesel is desired.

Tags are typically on longer coaches so it eliminates getting a small coach.

Tags are generally ascribed to a better ride.

A tag axle is supposed to provide extra stability in slippery conditions.

A tag looks neat especially if it is steerable.

OK - more than a couple reasons to specify a tag axle but if one is desired why not.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:58 PM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
I would encourage the OP to open up the inquiry to both tag and non-tag axles, and instead of making that a "requirement," make it something that need to be considered, along with many other safety factors.

In my mind, a tag axle does not equate to "better" in every situation.

Since the tag axle is behind the primary set of rear dual-tire axle, the tag pushes up from behind the primary rear axle, and distributes more of the weight forward to the front tires. If done properly, the front axles are not overburdened with weight, and the primary rear axle is greatly improved in terms of its weight carrying capacity.

Nevertheless, there are some recent examples of RV's that went from one to two axles on the same length coach that didn't turn out so great for the buyers because the distribution of the weight forward (and the assumption that "we can add more weight" to the RV now that it has a tag) ended up seriously pushing the limits on their units' FRONT axle. Since those are the steering tires, with only one tire per side of the RV, that's potential for disaster in a blow-out situation.

Tag axles are generally loved by those that have them, and sought after by those who assume that because they are more expensive, they are better. For me, my RV is pretty well balanced without one. My rear axle is near the limit on weight capacity, but my front axle is well under the limit. I enjoy the additional storage that I wouldn't have if I had a tag axle, and I like that when it comes time to replace tires and TMPS sensors, I buy 6 instead of 8.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:37 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Lots and lots of good advice here. Buying used sounds very good as most of the bugs are corrected and also very important savings on the purchase. Several years ago when looking at replacing my RV, I/we, visisted probably a couple of thousand RV. Was not decided between a large 5 Wheel or a DP. So we saw a lot. What we did to help up remember the units we liked, we had a camera with us took many photos, took written notes and references to photos and also some verbal comments on a small voice recorder.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:30 PM   #50

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I am going through this process now for a purchase in 2018 when the DW starts getting her "old lady" money. I have a list of new models as well as a list of slightly used models (RVT, RVTrader). I don't want something more than 5 years old. We also have our budget picked already.

We are going to the Tampa RV show to look at as many models that we can. We will most likely go again next year before we make the final decision. I would like to stay between 38 and 40 feet if possible. But it a great deal fell in my lap for a 42'+- I would not refuse it.

One thing I found out early was to look for a particular size engine (360HP) or bigger to have the towing capacity for my toad. Anything with a 340 HP or smaller I don't look at. I also make sure it has the 3000 Allison transmission.

Our gasser may go up for sale this spring to get ready for the DP purchase. This will mean we will not travel this year, but we will be saving more money for the down payment for the DP.
Keep in mind that you can go at least 40ft with not having a tag axle, but at 42, you'll most likely need one and not hardly worth it for just two feet, IMO.
As for power and on most production coaches in general, figure at least 100HP for each 10ft of length. We could go into weights as well, but shouldn't be necessary, unless looking into bus conversions and the like.
With this in mind, everything else should fall into place, although not having a side radiator is a deal breaker for me. Now with the side radiator, you can also figure on having a top notch chassis and quality interior, as well, since you'll seldom see one, without the other.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:36 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimc79 View Post
My big plan is to downsize the house we have kids are grown and gone. I have 3 years to get ready, hope it's enough time and retire, sell the house and become a full timer for a couple years at least, my co-pilot wants an exit date in case she is not happy.
My recommendation is not to get an expensive motorhome if your wife is already asking for an exit date to full-timing if she's not happy. It sounds like she's not 100% for this new lifestyle.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:34 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
My recommendation is not to get an expensive motorhome if your wife is already asking for an exit date to full-timing if she's not happy. It sounds like she's not 100% for this new lifestyle.
Expensive seems to vary widely among the populace, but whether a full timer, summertimer, or weekender, I don't like being the one that takes the biggest depreciation hit. As long as you keep the house, one can always go from full timing to one of the other RV lifestyles. Those who spend it all, so there's no place else to go, when they're are done with it all, are making a huge mistake in my estimation. This usually comes about when the house is sold (an appreciating asset) to pay for the coach, which is a depreciating asset.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:48 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Keep in mind that you can go at least 40ft with not having a tag axle, but at 42, you'll most likely need one and not hardly worth it for just two feet, IMO.
As for power and on most production coaches in general, figure at least 100HP for each 10ft of length. We could go into weights as well, but shouldn't be necessary, unless looking into bus conversions and the like.
With this in mind, everything else should fall into place, although not having a side radiator is a deal breaker for me. Now with the side radiator, you can also figure on having a top notch chassis and quality interior, as well, since you'll seldom see one, without the other.
I think you added an extra "0" there, unless you really want a 42' coach to have 4,200 horsepower!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:01 PM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
His numbers look OK. Unique way of expressing it. I have seen 10 hp per 1 ft more often than 100 hp per 10 feet.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:06 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
I think you added an extra "0" there, unless you really want a 42' coach to have 4,200 horsepower!
No, he got it right. 4,200hp would be 100hp/ft. He said 100hp/10ft.

Since you're retired Army, maybe this will help:
100 ponies/E-10 rank x 4.2 E-10's
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:20 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
His numbers look OK. Unique way of expressing it. I have seen 10 hp per 1 ft more often than 100 hp per 10 feet.
Yep, either way and I thought I had it right.
Now with some of those bus conversions, like I said, you might have to consider the weight factor, as well.

Tags
class a, advice