Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2016, 02:37 PM   #1

Class A Pusher Advice

I am a couple of years from going, I hope, full time. I have been looking at all the adds for a year now and have determined to go with a "tag axel" along with a bath and half. I have no experience with the "big rigs" and see multiple manufactures and they all look good. Is it that everyone has their favorite, their all good any more and I should look at features and not worry about who the manufacturer is? Thanks in advance for your opinion!!
jimc79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2016, 02:52 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Everyone is going to say their brand is best! You just need to do a lot of tire kicking, looking at different floor plans (VERY important), deciding what features you want, whether to buy new or used, etc.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Merry Christmas!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 03:02 PM   #3

Thanks, That's what I thought once you get into a "pusher" they have to be good or they would be gone. It took me 2 years to buy my last car, I now have 275000 miles on that...I'll keep studying.

Merry Christmas to ALL!!
Old 12-24-2016, 03:04 PM   #4

I agree with Joe. You will get some very good information from this forum but sometimes it's fairly biased.
You need to do a lot of looking to find the rig that suits you and your needs. Having said that, your needs will likely change a bunch once you have spent some time in your perfect coach.
Some on this forum may disagree but if you have not owned a DP previously, I suggest spending $100 on this data base. It is not the end to end all but it will give you some idea of the differences between the various makes and models without prejudice. I was in a similar situation as you are before we bought our Dutchstar and I can tell you it was one of my best investments.

https://rv.org

Good Luck in your search.
Old 12-24-2016, 03:12 PM   #5

Keep track of the various brands you see on the road or take a drive through some RV parks and see which brands are most numerous. From our travels we see a lot of Tiffins and Newmars.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 03:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimc79 View Post
I have no experience with the "big rigs" and see multiple manufactures and they all look good. Is it that everyone has their favorite, their all good any more and I should look at features and not worry about who the manufacturer is?
They're not all good and yes, your first choice should be a quality manufacturer.

When you go looking you'll see a lot of glitz on the outside. However, are the cabinets wood? How are the drawers constructed? Are the doors and walls tight-fitting or are there gaps? Even toilets can be plastic or porcelain.

Investigate manufacturers first. If you can swing it, take some factory tours so you can see firsthand how they're constructed. Is it a fast production lane or is it slow and care is taken?

Above all, don't go into debt over a RV. If you can't afford new then look for a 3-4 yr. quality-made one that's more affordable rather than going with a new lesser-quality.

There are some that will recommend you choose the floorplan as a first thing. What good is a floorplan if the framework around it is not good? Surely, each manufacturer has a suitable floorplan. You may not get all you want but you can come close.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:02 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Seems odd that somebody would put "tag axle" at or near the top of their wish list. It's an artifact, not a feature. You get a tag axle if the back end of the coach weighs more than a single rear axle can handle. Buy a big enough coach and it will employ a tag. If not, it won't. Having one when the weight doesn't require it would be a waste anyway. Adds cost both upfront and in the future (tires), and takes up space both underneath and inside (wheel wells).
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:03 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Start attending local RV shows and dealer lots and see what's there. Look at new coaches and older ones. Price will lead you in one direction or another. Yes, some manufacturers are better than others, but there's a coach out there for almost everyone.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:25 PM   #9

Floor plan first

We spent two years looking at units to replace our '07 Endeavor. In our search, the first thing we looked at was the floor plan in our price range. One of the considerations was the bath and a half. We narrowed our choices down to the Fleetwood Discovery 40E and the Winnebago 40R. Believe it or not what made us go with the Winnebago was having the salesman pull the slides in. There was no place to accommodate a couple of dog crates in transit and still access the 1/2 bath without some acrobatics in the Fleetwood. If we didn't need the dog crates, we would have gone with the Fleetwood because it had a dishwasher.

We absolutely love our 2016 Winne 40R which is actually 42' plus a few inches. By the time you are ready to buy, you could probably find a 2015 model of those units at a good price.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:29 PM   #10

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post

Good Luck in your search.
Interesting, altho they do not consider Prevost,Marathon,Newell or Foretravel..
But then again those brands are limited production coaches..
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:47 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimc79 View Post
I am a couple of years from going, I hope, full time. I have been looking at all the adds for a year now and have determined to go with a "tag axel" along with a bath and half. I have no experience with the "big rigs" and see multiple manufactures and they all look good. Is it that everyone has their favorite, their all good any more and I should look at features and not worry about who the manufacturer is? Thanks in advance for your opinion!!
You have to start with how much you want to spend & then is it new or used. You may get more for your money & maybe more quality also if can find a couple tear old coach that was not used hard.
StuartS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 06:43 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
All good advice except for Dennis' last sentence. Buying a motorhome is NOT an investment. New ones depreciate fairly quickly and then level off when they are about 10 years old or so. In any case, you will NEVER get more in selling/trading than you paid out during buying.

Another aspect to consider is "how" you are going to use it. Will you be traveling a lot, or spending a lot of time in one spot? Very large motor homes (those with tags) are superior travelers, but their main calling is the amount of room inside that provides comfort. A small motor home will not ride as well as a tag motor home and doesn't offer all the room inside; however, they can fit more easily in congested rv parks and campgrounds not to mention that when traveling you can stop in more places....it's not all that easy trying to park a 45' motorhome in a congested area....at best, Walmart or other large parking areas will be just about all you can maneuver in.

There are entry level, mid level, high level....and in some cases, luxury level in just about all brands. Get familiar with the different model names and where they stand in the hierachy. Obviously the higher level, the more accessories/options are available (or standard) and typically will have better quality.

And of course, new or used. A higher level coach that is a few years old, will sell for about the same $$ as a lower level coach that is brand new. And remember, all prices (new or used) are negotiable.

As mentioned, go to dealers, rv shows, and private parties and do your research.

Good luck

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:21 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If you're not in a hurry try attending some of the major RV shows. Tampa and Hershey Pa. are two that come to mind. It's well worth it.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:25 AM   #14

Thanks, had not seen this, I will purchase this a lot less expensive than a wrong purchase . Had not thought about going to RV Shows in other cities. We're in Nashville and the show here is ok but last year they only had 1 class A. There will be no debt when I purchase will pay cash, it will be used.

Thanks for the advise.
Jim

Tags
class a, advice