RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2020, 05:53 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Class A questions

We are in the market for a used Class A. Are there any go to dealers that you have? Whats the best way to check value on these? Are there any specific models to stay away from? It would be a weekend get away for my wife and I. Our kids are grown and gone, we would have a grandkid with us for many of the outings. I am a good 15 years from retiring, this would be a weekender and the occaisional 5-7 day trip for vacations 1-2 times a year. I am wanting to stay under 30k and pay cash for it. I would like the option to tow my mustang in a cargo trailer. I am located in south Texas and will travel for the right deal. I open to any all suggestions on things to look for. This would be the first motorhome for us

bootstrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2020, 06:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootstrap View Post
We are in the market for a used Class A. Are there any go to dealers that you have? Whats the best way to check value on these? Are there any specific models to stay away from? It would be a weekend get away for my wife and I. Our kids are grown and gone, we would have a grandkid with us for many of the outings. I am a good 15 years from retiring, this would be a weekender and the occaisional 5-7 day trip for vacations 1-2 times a year. I am wanting to stay under 30k and pay cash for it. I would like the option to tow my mustang in a cargo trailer. I am located in south Texas and will travel for the right deal. I open to any all suggestions on things to look for. This would be the first motorhome for us
There are a bunch of options for you. Given your criteria for used and 30K, I suggest a Newmar in the 1999 to 2001 Diesel Pusher 38' length. They are probably at near the bottom of depreciation, build quality is excellent, and the motor/transmission combination is good for 500K miles or more. If you go with a gasser, you can get a newer unit in the same price range. Gassers are less complex. Diesel pushers have a better ride and much greater towing capacity. You'll get lots of opinions here so hang on! Lots of good info will come from those who prefer one type over the other.

tomgrigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgrigsby View Post
There are a bunch of options for you. Given your criteria for used and 30K, I suggest a Newmar in the 1999 to 2001 Diesel Pusher 38' length. They are probably at near the bottom of depreciation, build quality is excellent, and the motor/transmission combination is good for 500K miles or more. If you go with a gasser, you can get a newer unit in the same price range. Gassers are less complex. Diesel pushers have a better ride and much greater towing capacity. You'll get lots of opinions here so hang on! Lots of good info will come from those who prefer one type over the other.
Are there any other higher end pushers to look for? Are Tiffins a good brand?
Old 05-24-2020, 07:05 PM   #4

If you are really serious you will invest in some research tools that you can reference. Check out RV.org. They rate RVs and have the most complete information on the selection and buying process. They have a database that list each model and differentiate by length and year. Good RV hunting.*
Sco70ttie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:11 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
For your limited use I was going to suggest a gas MH BUT an enclosed trailer (3000+ lbs) plus a Mustang (3000 to 4000 depending on year) puts you into a DP as most gassers only have a 5000 lb hitch. I would want something with a Cummins 8.3 engine which will have the good Allison 3000 6 speed tranny. This will also give you a diesel generator.

Age of tire, not amount if tread, is a often overlooked experience item... unless they have been used often 3-4 years old max.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:04 PM   #6

While some coaches are built better than others, condition is everything, poorly maintained roof sealant on a $250,000 coach can turn it into a not economical to repair project due to hidden wood rot in a short amount of time. So while it may matter how well it was built, what is more important is what sort of shape is it in now.

Now given your limited annual usage, you might want to seriously consider renting instead of buying. Cost of owning, and maintaining a 15+ year old circa $30,000 RV is significant, you have to factor in insurance, storage cost, ongoing upkeep, wear and age prone item replacement, etc. On my coach if I can get by spending less than $5,000 per year on average for all that cost of ownership stuff, I consider myself lucky, and I am fortunate enough to have free covered storage for my coach. Insurance alone comes to $650 per year, add in a new set of batteries at $400 per set about every 4 years, comes out to $100 per year, a new set of tires when they age out every 7 years at $2,800 - $3,800 comes out to about another $500 per year. And don't even get me started on when appliances die (RV refrigerators, air conditioners, etc run about $1,500 plus installation). Then there is mechanical stuff last year it was $1,400 for new ball joints, and this year it will be a $1,000+ dash air conditioner condenser install, among other things. It adds up even though I do much of the work myself, last week it was installing a new carburetor on the Onan generator, this week was fixing the passenger side power seat wiring, and installing new LED interior lighting, and I still need to get under the coach and locate a leak that started on our last trip in November.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:41 AM   #7

Renting one is not something I am interested in. I would use one enough to justify the cost. We have property about 100 miles from the house and that use alone would more than pay for its cost IMO. I am debating the gas vs diesel pusher options. I am 20 miles from beach's that allow camping on the beach. I am torn between an older pusher vs a newer gasser. I think having the ability to tow a cargo will justify the pusher but I am on the fence about it. It is not hard to talk myself into a pusher. When my kids were young we spent a lot of time camping on the beach. This is something I would like to do with my grandkids.
What is a comfortable speed for the gassers when on the highway and not towing?
Would a well maintained older Newmar/Tiffin/other be better than a gasser?
1.I would like to be able to tow the cargo trailer with mustang in it
2.I would like to feel comfortable heading out on a long weekend trip to various events in Texas and surrounding state
3. I would like one that can pull a toad
4. what are other brands to consider for a pusher?
5. I like the idea of having a newer class a over a older one but would a well built pusher be that much better over a gasser?
I am afraid if I go with a gasser, I will end up regretting it. I tow quite a bit as it is right now.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:10 AM   #8

If you are considering beach camping, have you thought about a Super-C such as a Gulfstream Conquest / Endura, Dynamax, Seneca, etc. It gives you a commercial truck cab, likely more ground clearance than most class A diesel pushers, and possibly better front hookup points if you need to get pulled out of being stuck in the sand. Many super C's also have higher towing capacities than gasoline class A's.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:57 AM   #9

When we were looking for a Class A 3 years ago, I found the electronics in most units vastly improved after the year 2000. We decided we would stay above that year. We also wanted a diesel pusher and air ride. It took us another year to find a unit at our price point and condition expectations.

We bought a 2002 Winnebago Journey 36 C 5.9 Cummings we found while visiting folks in Seattle WA. It was a fresh trade at a dealer, 58,000 miles, 1 owner, all service records and NO RUST ! This was in January so the dealership was eager to negotiate. I low balled them and to my surprise, they took the offer.

The dealer stored it for us and we picked it up in April. Drove her over 1,600 miles home with out a hiccup.

Don't be afraid of the 5.9 diesel. Early years had engine block problems. 2000 and up were OK. Ours has plenty of power too and if I stay out of the peddle and keep her around 55-60 mph we get 9 plus mpg. It will run 75 all day long without pushing it.

Look for rust. First place to look in the LP Tank compartment. If that's clean, the bottom is probably rust free too.

Service records are a huge plus when deciding which unit is best for you.

Check the operation of everything. If you find an older motorhome and the dash AC still works, the unit has been taken care of.
I say this because EVERY other unit we looked at, the dash AC did not work. It's very common for these not to work because the cost to fix is crazy expensive. Anyone who was relentless enough to keep dash AC working, took VERY good care of the rest of the coach. Just my observation.

Good luck, you'll find it.

Tags
class a