Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2017, 05:23 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Class A refueling stations

we are planning a trip to Michigan's UP this summer......we are heading out of traverse city, up to newberry, over to Ontonagon, then down to the Wisconsin dells...........I am having trouble locating fuel stops along the way..........I know others travel up there, but the usual places I stop, pilot, loves, etc do not seem to have stations up in the UP......comments/suggestions.................we have a 100 gallon tank, and can get at least 6 mpg, but I don't want to run the risk of running out.............thanks
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2017, 05:36 AM   #2
WDW

Google Maps satellite view is your friend. Don't know the area, but I fly over every road and plan every gas stop. Less stress, winter recreation. Beats snowblowing and Gunsmoke reruns.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:40 AM   #3

Just go. You won't have any trouble finding fuel. When things get dicey for us in such situations, we just switch to a mode that has us start looking for fuel at 1/2 tank.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:40 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have fueled at Koski Korner near Champion , MI at the corner of US41 and M95.

Alternative is in Covington, MI at the North 41 Travel Center.

In Newberry there is Pickleman's Total 1 Stop (Hwy28 at Hwy 123)
Old 05-29-2017, 05:42 AM   #5

This time last year we made a similar trip through Michigan. Thoroughly enjoyed the state and its people. However, we rarely stop for diesel at the large Pilot/Loves type stations, but instead prefer the smaller type places. As we approach a station, Sharon is in charge of spotting the diesel pumps, the ease of the in and out routes and the approach. She gives me the thumbs up or down all within a few seconds. She is rarely wrong and we rarely have problems.

Anyway, there are plenty of easey in/out stations in every town. We use Gas Buddy to locate the stations near us and and select the one with the more economical prices.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
Google Maps satellite view is your friend. Don't know the area, but I fly over every road and plan every gas stop. Less stress, winter recreation. Beats snowblowing and Gunsmoke reruns.

That's what I do as well. Visited the UP in fall 2014 and had no problems finding places to fill using this method. Over the last few years, I have identified a number of places along the east coast I can easily buy fuel and tend to reuse these locations as we travel.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:04 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Use Gas Buddy if you have any fears of finding fuel. We do the UP every other year and have never had a problem. With 100 gallons and refilling at 1/2 full you should be able to go 300 miles on the first half of the tank.

From St. Ignace to Duluth it is 367 miles so you should be able to find something. We always have and have always enjoyed the UP. Not as desolate as you might imagine.

Relax and enjoy the trip. You'll love it
noeldale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmmonaco View Post
I am having trouble locating fuel stops along the way..........

Generally speaking, gas stations at instate exits are easy in & out.

The app iExit includes easy in / out for gas stations if applicable.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:33 AM   #9

I use Truckmaster Fuel Finder then Google Earth for a close up of the station. I put in a couple of your cities to get this - Find The Cheapest Truck Stop - TruckMaster Fuel Finder
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:42 AM   #10

I use a free app called Trucker Path on my iPhone and iPad to find big-rig-capable fuel stops. You can toggle between map and satellite views to see the layout of the stations.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:56 AM   #11

I use an app called RV Parky. Not only shows RV Parks but fuel stations while driving using the GPS on smart phone. You can set it up to show fuel stations gas or diesel, rest stops, shopping stores and other points of interest. So far have had no issues with this app.

Hope your trip goes well and enjoy! let me know, I've always wanted too see that part of the country.
jawgaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:13 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
thanks to all that responded...................
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:01 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
We live just South of Marquette in the Central U.P. and have a class A Diesel pusher. You won't have any issues!

When I fuel in the U.P., I try to hit the stations on the outskirts of town or in the country. One great, easy in, easy out stop around Marquette is Hindman's General Store on the corner of 41 and Yalmer Road.

Good stations just East of Munising, at the bridge in St. Ignace, at US-2 and 177, at US-2 and US-41, as well as plenty of other spots.

Holler if you have any U.P. planning needs. It's a great corner of the world!
VoiceNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:39 AM   #14

[QUOTE=slowmachine;3620842]I use a free app called Trucker Path on my iPhone and iPad to find big-rig-capable fuel stops. You can toggle between map and satellite views to see the layout
[IMG][/IMG]
Kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, fuel