Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2022, 07:44 AM   #1

Class A Repairs

I live in the Dallas area and store at National Indoor RV. They are normally great, but service is extremely slow right now. I have no clue where else I can go for service in the area- they have the motorhome so I have always gone there. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Stranded in Dallas Randy
Lasley5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2022, 10:12 AM   #2

Depending on what you need done you don't need to go to a RV dealership. Google mobile mechanic near me or RV repair shop near me. Ask around.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 10:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Depending on what you need done you don't need to go to a RV dealership. Google mobile mechanic near me or RV repair shop near me. Ask around.
We had really good luck with Alexander Johnson when we were in the DFW area.

785 320 0643
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 10:54 AM   #4

Dalas area: J & R Truck Repair @ 3151 Halifax
For diesel engine work: South Plains Cummins in Odessa, TX.
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 11:04 AM   #5

You need to let us know if you need chassis-related work or RV systems related work.
Old 04-20-2022, 05:28 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We've found a good source for finding good mobile maintenance is local campgrounds. The people that run the CGs know trusted area RV mechanics.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
You need to let us know if you need chassis-related work or RV systems related work.
This is a good question to the OP. A lot of truck centers will handle mostly anything concerning the chassis. Mobile mechanics can handle most of the rv vital stuff.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 07:54 AM   #8

We bought our coach there and use them for service also. Recently made an appointment for two small issues. One issue was our satellite TV performance was bad, cutting out, pausing, pixelating, etc. Even though we made an appointment, it was two weeks before I got any kind of update, which I had to call to get. I was told that the reflector was bad and that Winegard was covering it under the two year policy, but, they could not give me any kind of update as to when this part would ship. At the three week point, we made arrangements to pick up the coach to use for a trip. I asked my service advisor for some, any kind of update. Was told he would try, but parts are slammed.

Off we go on our trip, and upon arriving we tried to use the satellite as is, since it's better than nothing. Had issues, so we called Dish for help. They couldn't help remotely, but gave me two contacts in our zip code to call for help. It was getting late in the day, but I called both and left messages. One guy returned the call first thing the next morning. I explained the situation to him and said he could help and would be here soon.

He was very knowledgeable about satellites, Dish, and RV's. He had no problems finding the reflector that NIRVC and Winegard can't seem to get, and in less than an hour he had us up and running. Yes I had to pay a very reasonable amount, but this option was much better for us than waiting for a large dealership to wait patiently for a part with no availability, or shipping date.

Large dealerships have gotten to big. To them now, we're just a small fish in a big pond.
Old 04-21-2022, 08:19 AM   #9

It could be due to parts shortages, in which case going somewhere else won't help.

I'm currently waiting for three different parts for my coach. They have been backordered for over a year.

Fortunately, they aren't critical and we can still use the coach.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 06:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSuper View Post
Snip

Large dealerships have gotten to big. To them now, we're just a small fish in a big pond.

Your experience about using a person or shop that specializes in the issue you have is how I determine where I get that issue fixed. For engine issues I go to a diesel repair shop not a dealership. For an awning issue I go to a local RV repair shop with an appt knowing that I will wait for the item to be fixed. I know in advance what parts I need. Some of these local RV repair shops are mom and pop business's but they do good work or would soon disappear.

A little research into the issue I'm having and ordering the part before hand goes a long way in getting any issue fixed quickly and cheaper than a dealership.

But that requires a little research before making the appt. This forum and others are invaluable for helping me understand and fix most issues. And don't forget mobile RV mechanics. Your not likely to wait months for their attention.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 07:19 AM   #11

We have never had work done at a dealership. What I can't handle myself, I use a mobile tech for or a small mom & pop service place. They do good work and are much less frustrating to deal with.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 06:55 PM   #12

What chassis do you have? Go to that manufacturer. Rv shops do not specialize in chassis and seldom get value training from what we've seen.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, class a, repair, repairs