Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2021, 06:46 PM   #15

"Chicago to Mesa Verde National Park (I-80 through IL/IOWA/Nebraska/CO) then I76 to Denver and then to Mesa Verde"

All of the highways in Colorado are good enough for your rig. The problem is how you and your rig like the big hills.

First, I do not think you will not enjoy a drive over Hwy 550. The section from Montrose to Durango goes over 3 major passes. Again, the road is good, but there is a lot of up and down. My friends who have gone this way in a rig similar to yours unhook their toad and let their wife drive it to Durango. They don't call Hwy 550 the million dollar highway for nothing.

Highway 160 is an excellent road. There is one major climb, Wolf Creek Pass, between South Fork and Pagosa Springs. The highway over Wolf Creek Pass is excellent, with passing lanes in many places. The problem with it is that it's 10 miles up and 10 miles down so you have to manage your engine, transmission, and brake temps.

Highway 191/491 is a good choice. The traffic in Moab can be heavy at times, especially on the weekend. Eisenhower Pass will be the biggest obstacle. Again, it's 10 miles up and 10 miles down, but it is interstate highway.

The way I handle these grades is to find a speed where my rig will maintain temps. This normally puts me in the 35-40 mph range, so I just get on the right and keep on plugging. When you top out on a hill, control your speed! Do not plan on going down any faster than you went up.

Mesa Verde NP is magical!

Like others have said, see all of highway 101 that you can. It's beautiful and the parts I have been on (Oregon) are not that crowded.
andy29847 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2021, 12:15 AM   #16

Sounds like you’re already committed to your route but I much prefer going south on 101 vs north. So many pullouts with great views on the ocean side that are easily accessed from the southbound lane, not so easy from the northbound.
There is a short tunnel with 12’ clearance but that’s at the fog line. At the center of your coach, clearance will be more than sufficient.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 01:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
"Chicago to Mesa Verde National Park (I-80 through IL/IOWA/Nebraska/CO) then I76 to Denver and then to Mesa Verde"

All of the highways in Colorado are good enough for your rig. The problem is how you and your rig like the big hills.

First, I do not think you will not enjoy a drive over Hwy 550. The section from Montrose to Durango goes over 3 major passes. Again, the road is good, but there is a lot of up and down. My friends who have gone this way in a rig similar to yours unhook their toad and let their wife drive it to Durango. They don't call Hwy 550 the million dollar highway for nothing.

Highway 160 is an excellent road. There is one major climb, Wolf Creek Pass, between South Fork and Pagosa Springs. The highway over Wolf Creek Pass is excellent, with passing lanes in many places. The problem with it is that it's 10 miles up and 10 miles down so you have to manage your engine, transmission, and brake temps.

Highway 191/491 is a good choice. The traffic in Moab can be heavy at times, especially on the weekend. Eisenhower Pass will be the biggest obstacle. Again, it's 10 miles up and 10 miles down, but it is interstate highway.

The way I handle these grades is to find a speed where my rig will maintain temps. This normally puts me in the 35-40 mph range, so I just get on the right and keep on plugging. When you top out on a hill, control your speed! Do not plan on going down any faster than you went up.

Mesa Verde NP is magical!

Like others have said, see all of highway 101 that you can. It's beautiful and the parts I have been on (Oregon) are not that crowded.
Hi Andy,

Thank you for the advice, this is great feedback. It seems now I need to decide which mountain pass to tackle
hkhadra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 01:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
Quick question about the million dollar highway, going south, will I be on the cliff side or the mountain side (Wife question )

Thanks again
Old 05-12-2021, 01:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis4809 View Post
Sounds like you’re already committed to your route but I much prefer going south on 101 vs north. So many pullouts with great views on the ocean side that are easily accessed from the southbound lane, not so easy from the northbound.
There is a short tunnel with 12’ clearance but that’s at the fog line. At the center of your coach, clearance will be more than sufficient.
Can you please send me the GPS location of that tunnel.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkhadra View Post
Quick question about the million dollar highway, going south, will I be on the cliff side or the mountain side (Wife question )

Thanks again
She will be staring down to the deep side as she will be on the outside - you can go on Lizard Head Pass RT 145 still a beautiful drive just not RT 550.

I would recommend you do RT 550 in the Toad then the decision will be from first hand Knowledge.

All of the San Juan's are just Beautiful - Rico has a public Hot springs which may be open by summer.

IMHO, this area will deserve some additional time, especially if you can get onto some of the 4x4 trails.

Best of Luck,

Picture may help - https://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/trav...-529705-2.html
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:34 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkhadra View Post
Can you please send me the GPS location of that tunnel.
I don’t really recall but think it was north of Florence. Main point was that depending on your height, your GPS may want to reroute you to I5. I’m 12’6” and had plenty of clearance. The ceiling of this tunnel is like half a circle so 12’ at the fog like give more like 14’ at the center of your coach.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:43 AM   #22

You need this app..
https://mountaindirectory.com/

Solves knowing what roads you can take.
2004 Magna 42' 3 slide Chalet CC#6315M
C-15, 515HP 1650tq.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, california, class a, colorado, toad