Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2017, 09:55 PM   #15

Many people have Jeep Wranglers which have a spare tire for the Jeep mounted similar to your RV setup with a cover on the tire. Check out Jeep spare tire covers.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2017, 04:50 AM   #16

I used the google search here and after going through a lot of the search results I found this company:
https://www.custom-tire-covers.net/
and placed an order. You enter your tire size at the end of the process. $72.94 delivered. We'll see how the quality is when it arrives.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:09 AM   #17

I wish I had one. It's a rare feature on a class A. I had it on my class C and I miss it.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:55 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
I wish I had one. It's a rare feature on a class A. I had it on my class C and I miss it.
why? Flats "should" be rare on a class a. A good roadside plan helps alot.

Lets not forget you will need some expensive tools to change a 22.5" wheel, safely.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:03 PM   #19

Nice set up. I doubt there will be much if any added heat issue to engine. As you mentioned a full cover is best, between the sun and engine heat the tire could have a short life. At least you have decided what tire will be installed by the service truck when that day comes.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:04 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I've been thinking about carrying a loose spare in front of the genny on the slide mechanism. After having a steering wheel blowout, with tpms, the road side service would mount the tire. I had to buy the tire they offered and pay for mounting. Taking the tire out of the cost would have made the insurance seem better.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:27 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
I recently bought a roadmaster spare tire carrier, then a new Aluminum rim, then the tire (will be here tomorrow) and also bought a remote license plate mount that I can attach to the center of the spare tire and extend through a hole I cut in the tire cover. My license plate is currently on the rear hood.
Yes, I've read all the roadside policies and they all say that they will dispatch someone to install the spare tire. Without a spare, you're at their mercy.
Hope I never need it but I'm prepared.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
why? Flats "should" be rare on a class a. A good roadside plan helps alot.

Lets not forget you will need some expensive tools to change a 22.5" wheel, safely.
You can remove them this way https://www.amazon.com/Torque-Multip...plifier+wrench

However a 22.5” mounted tire weighs over 95lbs. Gettting that tire in and out of a bay, on a tire holder or lifting it up onto the lugs for most people will be impossible.

If you try have you considered what it will do to your back? I’m serious about trashing your back in the middle of nowhere or end up flat on your back unable to drive.

So obviously a good option, if you can manage the space is to keep an unmounted tire in your storage or jury rig a holder. You know the tire truck is paying a visit but you will at least have some pre purchased rubber instead of waiting to pay a higher price for them to locate one for you.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:56 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
dont laugh but after the road side guy did one wheel... my friend and I asked if we could attempt to do the other one. He was amused and let us loose. Getting the bead broke wasnt all that hard. My buddy did the tire iron shuffle to get the tire off the rim. We let the guy finish his beverage and install & air the tire.

So yeah coach net has been great for me. I do carry an unmounted spare so that will probably insure I never need it! Also I will never pay more than $35 to mount a 22.5 tire.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:12 PM   #24

The swivel function of the roadmaster tire carrier makes it easy to unload the tire. A torque multiplier is needed for loosen and tighten and a couple big pry bars would help to move the tire around but I think it is an accident waiting to happen at my age and I'm only 62.....
I watched the tire guy change the last tire I had replaced and it was nothing like I did 45 years ago when I helped down at the tire store. A couple taps with the hammer, walk around the rim, tuck a tire iron in and pull and it seemed the tire fell off the rim. Lube the new tire and walk it on the rim and air it up - wow. I'd still pull everything I haven't used in those 45 years if I tried. That's what retirement is all about - watching someone else do what you used to be able to do.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:28 PM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Try carrying two tires and rims of different sizes!

My front and tag are 365/70 22,5's on 10" wide rims and my drive are 315/80 22.5 on 91/2" rims.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:23 PM   #26

My question is what do you use to change the tire?? I really want to take a full sized spare as well, but being that it takes like 450FT# of torque on the lug nuts I wondered what you use, also would you use your levers to raise it or use a bottle jack?
Shawn6596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:28 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
I don't envy you guys! This thread makes me glad I have an old small class A. I can lower and lift the tire onto the rear mount by myself. 16" wheels, only around 100lb wheel/tire combo. 130ft/lb lug nut torque. ~10K lb UVW so I use a 4 ton floor jack at home but carry a 20T bottle jack for any road side events.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:29 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn6596 View Post
My question is what do you use to change the tire?? I really want to take a full sized spare as well, but being that it takes like 450FT# of torque on the lug nuts I wondered what you use, also would you use your levers to raise it or use a bottle jack?
1" Socket set breaker bar and 8ft. of pipe for a cheater!!
and/or

Tags
class a