Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2021, 07:56 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Class A Tires

Thank you to those who responded to "Something going thump in the night..."....lots of great input and I think I got a bead on a resolution thanks to all the thoughtful feedback! If you'll indulge me, I am going to the well again re new tires for the "Monacoach": the 7 y/o Michelins are showing some weather wear and cracking (although lots of tread left) sufficiently to cause concern for getting on the road with them, I'm cautiously thinking. From your knowledge and experience, any thoughts on Michelin vs. other brands, cost vs quality, World of Tires mobile tire change-out vs. local brick and mortar tire replacement, or any other tips or suggestions re this matter of one of the greater recurring expenses, for FT RVing, it would seem. Thanking The Wizards in advance!!

JerFox and Co-Pilot, Cody, Street-Dog Rescued from Cabo
2008 Monaco Diplomat 36 ft. towing 2014 Honda CR-V
jerfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2021, 08:11 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just had my 2nd set of Toyo's installed Wednesday. The ones they replaced were 9 years old (date codes) and on the RV 8 years. They still looked brand new and I never had any problems with them. I am sold on Toyo's for Motorhomes.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:35 PM   #3

There are a number of great alternatives to over-priced big name brand tires. My last set are Sailun truck tires @ $1,380 including taxes for all six.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:04 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When we bought our ‘02 DutchStar in 2012 I put on a new set of Michelins ($4200). I cared for them and they served me well for eight years.
Last summer (2020) it was time to replace, and I had learned that there are several excellent quality tires available without the elite name-brand pricing. In my size ( 225/70R22.5) I looked at Toyo, Hercules (Cooper), and Sumitomo. I settled on Sumitomo and bought a set of six ST719.
I took my business to a small, local independent in a small Texas town near the park in which we were volunteering. Great service, great job, great price— just about at $2200 mounted and installed (w/ balance beads).
Since then (8+ months), we’ve driven over 4K miles. The tires ride very comfortably and quietly, and I would happily recommend them.
2004 Element
JFXG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I just had my 2nd set of Toyo's installed Wednesday. The ones they replaced were 9 years old (date codes) and on the RV 8 years. They still looked brand new and I never had any problems with them. I am sold on Toyo's for Motorhomes.
Who did you use in Sonoma county? I am here in Windsor and sent GCR an email yesterday looking for a quote on our Beaver. Also considering motorhometires.com but would rather buy from local.
Keith
768Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:50 AM   #6

Almost any brand on the market will have satisfied customers. It seems that the cheapest Chinese tire gets the same reviews as Michelin. I replaced our Michelins with Toyo's on the recommendation of two friends who had good results. I have to agree that after 27,000 miles in three years, they are every bit as good as the "M's" were. My wife thinks they actually ride a little better, but I can't tell. They were $2500 less than eight M's would have cost. That savings invested will buy me eight more Toyo's in a few years. What's not to like about that??
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:04 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 768Q View Post
Who did you use in Sonoma county? I am here in Windsor and sent GCR an email yesterday looking for a quote on our Beaver. Also considering motorhometires.com but would rather buy from local.
Keith
Les Schwab in Rohnert Park. They are on back order but Travis was able to find 4 for me.

Tags
class a, tire, tires