Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2020, 09:58 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hattitude View Post
Damn... I wish I had the skills to pull that off...

Well, done...

I wonder if someone makes special tool boxes for RV garage storage spaces... probably would make a killing with all the do-it-yourself people in the RV world..
Custom made, any size you want. Drawer heights, height, width, etc can be specified.

https://rvcablegrip.com/RV_Drawers.html

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2020, 10:15 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMGM37 View Post
While mine is a Super C, I had the same situation. I could never find and toolbox that fit in any of my compartments that didn’t waste space around it. I had a couple of odd, kinda useless storage compartments so I chose the one my the main door and made my own. For a small area, it holds a lot of tools as the drawers are 22” deep. It’s worked out great.
Awesome. Taking orders?
Old 03-17-2020, 10:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyG View Post
Awesome. Taking orders?
I’m a retired cabinetmaker.....the key word is retired, now I get to make the fun stuff for myself
BMGM37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 06:39 AM   #18

Quote:
I had a couple of odd, kinda useless storage compartments so I chose the one my the main door and made my own. For a small area, it holds a lot of tools as the drawers are 22” deep. It’s worked out great.
WOW!! That is nothing short of awesome!
Cincy Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 07:02 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hattitude View Post
Damn... I wish I had the skills to pull that off...
Great excuse to go out and get more tools!

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:03 AM   #20

Click image for larger version

Name:	4914008D-616D-45EB-BAEC-622660EDE2C0.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	480.9 KB
ID:	278371
Bimmerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:29 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pktrusty View Post
I was curious what people use to store tools in the belly of a their class A? I haven't seen a tool box that is quite what I am looking for.
This tread may help - https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/too...em-466822.html

I used to be in the tool box group but found that I tend to just need a few of the same tools most of the time. Now I have a few Bags one with General tools for those normal jobs, Electrical tools for those pesky little problems that tend to come up so often on a Coach over 10 years old, i also keep a small bag that will hold what i need and a garden Cart on wheels to sit on when doing repairs.

Then there are the Parts needed - Stainless screws - Lights - Fuses - Electrical connectors - Filters - Wax and polishes along with the Polishers......on and on.

If you look at the suggested post you will see that many of us are way Over Prepared for this part of the RV life.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:51 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I carefully measured my storage compartment and looked at hundreds of tool boxes. This is what i came up with. I wanted tool boxes that I could carry to where I was working, so I did not want a large stand alone unit. Plus, the stand alone units did not fit efficiently in my storage space (kudos to those of you who have a good solution on a slide).

Pictured below are the tool boxes I bought for my rig - the Husky ones are from Home Depot and the Craftsman ones are from Lowe's. Both of these stuck up nicely and don't move around when driving. I use both sizes to optimize the space in my forward compartment. At this point, I have more empty boxes than full, as I build out my tool collection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toolboxes.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	354.3 KB
ID:	278375  
pete5016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:38 PM   #23

Husky bags from home depot, could never fit stuff in a tool box.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:40 PM   #24

Lots of great posts here. There's another very good thread about what tools people carry; it was a while back but a bit of search engine work should bring it up.
I have a 'poor boy' rig without slide-out trays in my storage compartments. Also, many of them are tucked underneath the slides. I went with several small 'tool bags' so I can lift any one of them out without messing up my back. One has electrical stuff, one has carpentry, and one is most everything else. I also have a Craftsman plastic case kit with sockets etc.
I have enough that I am fully impaired by a lack of talent as my tools far exceed my ability.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:52 PM   #25

When Hurricane Charley was approaching the Florida coast Mom and Dad were told to evacuate to higher ground. Now at 92 years old Mom packed a few clothing items to take, but my Dad packed his toolbox and lucky fishing hat!! He never went anywhere without his tools, and I guess I take after him. But now that I am a septuagenarian, I am finding myself starting to pick and choose what I fix, and what I pay someone else to do. But just the same I still carry a good assortment of tools in my toolbox.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:31 PM   #26
OCM

I included a foldable wagon from Costco, put a Masonite piece in the bottom and roll all the tools I need to wherever I need them. When done , remove Masonite fold up wagon store in bay, drink beer and admire my handy work.
OCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:46 PM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
While mine is a Super C, I had the same situation. I could never find and toolbox that fit in any of my compartments that didn’t waste space around it. I had a couple of odd, kinda useless storage compartments so I chose the one my the main door and made my own. For a small area, it holds a lot of tools as the drawers are 22” deep. It’s worked out great.

you are an inspiration. DAM that looks well done
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:35 PM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
I went a completely different route. I need basic hand tools in the MH and when off road in my Jeep Rubicon so I need something that I can transfer between the coach and the jeep. I had a tool bag with stuff dumped in it but always hard to find the tool I need so I went with the one below and I do like it. It was little pricey but well built and allows me to organize tools in different pockets.

https://www.amazon.com/Mechanic-Tool...s%2C177&sr=8-1
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a