Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2013, 08:12 AM   #155
CBQ

For what it's worth, I saw my Newmar 3920 before the dealer prepped it, and it looked exactly like you would think it should look. Everything looked flawless. One might think the prep involved the dealer just taking the plastic covers off the seats, but my dealer went through everything and found an O ring seal on the leveling jack pump was missing and had to be installed. I also found the adhesive for one of the bathroom fixtures didn't take at the factory, and had to be re-glued. That was pretty much it for initial repairs.
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #156

Winnebago Owners Club
Got a call from North Trail RV in Fort Myers today. The salesman tells me the 3921 has been suspended from production because the first one they built had a slew of engineering problems. There is no word on when the 3921 will enter production again.

Interestingly I said the one major disappointment of the Newmar was the lack of a party deck on the tailgate. He said Newmar doesn't do it for liability reasons but they have helped 2 Newmar owners use some kind of tripod system to essentially create a party deck.

Going down to see once they get a couple of 3920's in stock as well as Outlaw LS models as they are now a Thor dealer too.
"The Dutch Oven AdventuresII"
ensiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #157

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since it is very hard for me to see the floor plan on the Newmar I thought I would post this for older eyes:

Old 06-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #158

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensiv View Post
they are now a Thor dealer too.
When did that happen? Didn't the dealer (can't recall the name) 2 exits north of them have the Thor dealership for the west coast?

Just curious!
Old 06-20-2013, 11:14 PM   #159

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BpK9Miami View Post

When did that happen? Didn't the dealer (can't recall the name) 2 exits north of them have the Thor dealership for the west coast?

Just curious!
Couldn't tell you although the salesman said they were waiting on a delivery of Outlaws. Could be a recent development.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #160
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Couldn't tell you although the salesman said they were waiting on a delivery of Outlaws. Could be a recent development.
A dealer selling Newmar AND Thor Motor Coach is "new" to me too. But not because there was a competitor nearby with the "other brand...but, because the TMC and Newmar dealers near me have both said - "We don't carry both brands, it's a mandate from the manufacturer."

Even MHSRV in Texas doesn't sell both brands-new. Being in the volume sales biz, I would think they would if they could.

Safe travels to all.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #161
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A pretty good 2008 walk-thru YouTube video of the a Bounty Hunter from a dealer in Ft Myers, FL...this unit has sold.

See the first page of this thread for more details on the Bounty Hunter!

WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 06-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #162

Thx for that video, Steve. That BountyHunter has a couple features that make us Outlaw owner envious (roof ladder, luggage rack). I noticed when the golf cart is driven up the ramp that it depresses the ramp 6 inches to contact the ground. Is this normal for a loading ramp/door or should it always rest on the ground when it's deployed? When did they stop producing the BHunter?
Old 06-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #163

Winnebago Owners Club
Spoke to the regional rep for Thor on Friday. He tells me the only LS model he is aware of on a dealer lot is in Cocoa Beach and its sold already. Owner takes delivery on the 28th. He offered to show it to me but I am not up for a 2.5 hour drive each way to see somebody else's toy.

There is also an RV show at the Tampa Fairgrounds this weekend and I called the participating dealers for Newmar and Thor and no one has a toy hauler unit on display.

As much as I really like the quality of a Newmar I think we are leaning towards the Outlaw. Made a list of pro's and con's of each model and the Outlaw edges the Newmar out.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #164
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
Thx for that video, Steve. That BountyHunter has a couple features that make us Outlaw owner envious (roof ladder, luggage rack). I noticed when the golf cart is driven up the ramp that it depresses the ramp 6 inches to contact the ground. Is this normal for a loading ramp/door or should it always rest on the ground when it's deployed? When did they stop producing the BHunter?
Jeff,
No, the ramp should not bounce when weight is applied. It should rest gently on the bumpers...The lift assist set-up must just be over-tight on this unit.

Correcting this is an easy adjustment on most all toyhaulers - motorized or towable from most all makers.

My research found Bounty Hunters were made from 2006 (sold as a 2007) thru 2009. They had gas and Diesel FRED chassis, with a higher price point compared to the Damon Outlaw of the same model year...and in my shopping, sellers are still asking for more money than a similar condition Outlaw. That's why I have (and love) my Outlaw.

Also, the Bounty Hunter had a deeper garage by almost 2 feet...and I believe it created pressure at Damon that caused them to create the 3808.

Safe travels to all.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 06-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #165

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
As much as I really like the quality of a Newmar I think we are leaning towards the Outlaw. Made a list of pro's and con's of each model and the Outlaw edges the Newmar out.
and that is why most of us can say "I love my Outlaw".

Welcome to the club.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:24 AM   #166

Hey guys, new member here from north Florida. I've been eying the Outlaw for a while now. I currently own a 25' TT toy hauler. I own a sound & lighting company and spend a bit of time camping at outdoor music events. For the smaller events I can usually fit enough sound equipment in the TT and it's nice having the AC and bathroom there as opposed to simply pulling the 24' cargo trailer.

I have a friend who owns a diesel MH and when I showed him the Outlaw he told me I wouldn't like a gas unit. He said going up hills will be agonizing - and this is Florida, the hills are nothing more than any bridge. I can't imagine it being too terribly bad but then I got to thinking that I would want to pull my 24' cargo trailer as well. I would guess it's between 5,000-6,000 lbs fully loaded.

I'd love to get some feedback on the V-10 specifically in the Outlaw. Am I in for a disappointment in the power department?
russpang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #167
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by russpang View Post
Hey guys, new member here from north Florida. I've been eying the Outlaw for a while now. I currently own a 25' TT toy hauler. I own a sound & lighting company and spend a bit of time camping at outdoor music events. For the smaller events I can usually fit enough sound equipment in the TT and it's nice having the AC and bathroom there as opposed to simply pulling the 24' cargo trailer.

I have a friend who owns a diesel MH and when I showed him the Outlaw he told me I wouldn't like a gas unit. He said going up hills will be agonizing - and this is Florida, the hills are nothing more than any bridge. I can't imagine it being too terribly bad but then I got to thinking that I would want to pull my 24' cargo trailer as well. I would guess it's between 5,000-6,000 lbs fully loaded.

I'd love to get some feedback on the V-10 specifically in the Outlaw. Am I in for a disappointment in the power department?
First, if you are buying used - please notice there are 3 different chassis in the Outlaws (see dates of mfgt on the first page of this thread)...Ford F53 (V10), Workhorse W24 (w/ GM 8.1) and some w/ Freightliner front engine Diesel (FRED).

It is no surprise that a Diesel owner would not recommend a gas engine motorhome. The reality is that a Diesel can often out tow a gas chassis -if- the Diesel is a larger displacement engine. There is "no replacement for displacement."

But because a toyhauler just cannot be a rear engine, the only Class A Toyhaulers with the large Diesels were the rare Spartan mid-engine chassis' in the Newmar AllStar's (see post #10 of this thread).

So, since you want a motorized Toyhauler, (for new) there is the Newmar Canyon Star or the Thor Outlaw. Both are on the F53 chassis w/ V10.
Both have a receiver hitch rated Class III (limited at 5000lb) so to exceed that weight requires an upgrade to the hitch.

As far as hills, the gas engines (running around 350HP) will move these RV's down the road very well. And they can tow with ease.

Hope some other's chime-in with some specifics...

Best of luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 06-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Jeff,
No, the ramp should not bounce when weight is applied. It should rest gently on the bumpers...The lift assist set-up must just be over-tight on this unit.

Correcting this is an easy adjustment on most all toyhaulers - motorized or towable from most all makers

Steve, I would greatly appreciate if you would expand on this thought, specifically in regards to the Outlaw.
Thank you