Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2015, 07:59 AM   #491

Thor Owners Club
Purchasing 2015 Outlaw 38re???

I am looking at the new 38re but have a some ???? 1.The V-10 in a 39ft motorhome with a 26k frame. Can it make it up the mountains in Colorado. 2. 13.3ft side wall, what does that do in the wind. I have had 2 Diesel motorhomes and 2 campers and the side wall is about 12ft. and some times coming across Kansas with a 40mph side wind can be spooky with them. 3. Can the 5500 onan run all three AC?
I hope you can make me feel better about my ??? I love the set up on this motorhome. P.S. Great Forums!
ksluy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2015, 09:26 AM   #492
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

The Outlaw RE isn't a Toy Hauler and I haven't read about any new RE owners finding iRV2...yet, so I will share some perspective from looking at it myself.

It is a VERY NICE RV. I LOVE the high ceilings in the bedroom and the 1/2 bath and "Fiesta patio" set-up is awesome!http://outlawrv.com/class-a/floorplans.php?model=38RE

Q: "1.The V-10 in a 39ft motorhome with a 26k frame. Can it make it up the mountains in Colorado."

A: Yes the V10/5 speed has enough power (362HP and 457 lb-ft torque) to move these RVs. That engine is the 3 valves per piston version, made to allow it to spin up to or a bit above 4,000RPM to reach peak HP. The Outlaw 37MD and Canyon Star 3921 have very high curb weights and that chassis (common to both) has no issue moving the RV.

Q: "2. 13.3ft side wall, what does that do in the wind. I have had 2 Diesel motorhomes and 2 campers and the side wall is about 12ft. and some times coming across Kansas with a 40mph side wind can be spooky with them."

A: The Outlaw RV has always had that high sidewall in the aft 1/3 (angled from the 11.5" nose). This can allow the driver to feel a crosswind to hit the RV. But crosswind can impact all Class A's (that I have ever experienced). The only way to reduce that is to move up to the much larger/heavier Diesel RV's with high curb weights.

Q: "3. Can the 5500 onan run all three AC?"

A: The TMC Rep at the Pomona show reported to me that the gennie can run everything in that RV. We also have the Onan5500 and have used both rooftop aircons and a portable in the garage at the same time with no issues. I would guess that you just don't want anyone running a hot air blow dryer at the same time as all 3 aircons...that will probably be too much.

If you get one, hope you share all about it here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/i-lo...aw-102560.html

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:38 AM   #493

Looking at Hurricane TH Class A

I'm looking at a 2009 Hurricane Class A Toyhauler. I've researched the Outlaw brand as well, and actually looked at a 2007 Outlaw with the loft bed this past weekend. Unfortunately, it was trashed to say the least!

Anyone have any experience with the Hurricane model? The only issue I see is that the queen bed is in the garage, which I think would be a pita to use. Looking to haul my Harley but it seems I would have to unload it in order to use the bed.

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this I would appreciate it.

Scott
scott534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:30 AM   #494
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Don't own a Hurricane, but I will share what I have found...

You've found the right place to look at Class A Toy Haulers
and Outlaw Owners congregate here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/i-lo...aw-102560.html

The Hurricane Toy Hauler was a FourWinds model. FourWinds was acquired by Thor RV making the Hurricane Toy Hauler redundant when Thor also acquired Damon with their Outlaw. Thor also acquired Mandalay Luxury Coach...the 3 brands plus some new models became Thor Motor Coach (TMC) of today.

The Hurricane has always been a good mid-level RV and is still on the TMC line-up: 2015 Hurricane Motorhomes: Class A RV by Thor Motor Coach

The Hurricane Toy Hauler was never made in large numbers, so they are rare compared to the Outlaw. Most owners complain about having to sleep on the couch if the garage is loaded. And being a multi-use space, when unloaded the garage can get dirty. All things to consider if you intend to sleep on the garage bunk. There was an optional drop-down HappiJac bed in the center of the main salon - optioned in some units (a compromise at best).

Unless you believe you can live with the Hurricane's sleeping set-up, there are many-many Outlaws (and other models too) out there, so I would not accept an abused unit...keep looking.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 01-12-2015, 06:29 PM   #495
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksluy View Post
I am looking at the new 38re but have a some ???? 1.The V-10 in a 39ft motorhome with a 26k frame. Can it make it up the mountains in Colorado. 2. 13.3ft side wall, what does that do in the wind. I have had 2 Diesel motorhomes and 2 campers and the side wall is about 12ft. and some times coming across Kansas with a 40mph side wind can be spooky with them. 3. Can the 5500 onan run all three AC?
I hope you can make me feel better about my ??? I love the set up on this motorhome. P.S. Great Forums!
lots of information to take in here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott534 View Post
I'm looking at a 2009 Hurricane Class A Toyhauler. I've researched the Outlaw brand as well, and actually looked at a 2007 Outlaw with the loft bed this past weekend. Unfortunately, it was trashed to say the least!

Anyone have any experience with the Hurricane model? The only issue I see is that the queen bed is in the garage, which I think would be a pita to use. Looking to haul my Harley but it seems I would have to unload it in order to use the bed.

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this I would appreciate it.

Scott
It took a while but good to see you posting.

Good luck to both of you with your choices.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:54 PM   #496

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksluy View Post
I can't answer all of your questions but I'll answer what I can.
1) It depends on how fast you want to go. If you want to blast up the freeway at 80, you're not going to be able to do it. If you're OK going up with the semi's at 35-40, you'll be fine. Of course there are some really steep back roads that will tax the machine but in general you should be able to get up anything. It will rev higher than a diesel, keep that in mind.

2) It catches wind. If you slow down, it's a lot more comfortable. This is true with most big vehicles though.

3) The onan runs all three generators no problem. When you go to look at one, you can always verify it.

Hmmm... Guess I did answer them!
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:52 AM   #497

ksluy, my OTL has the 8.1l Chevy engine. I drive it in the mountains here in AZ, and have also had it in the mountains of UT and CO, fully loaded. It will get you where you want to go, but like Monkeyclaw said, you have to be in the mindset of not being in a hurry.

I have driven it east across I-70 in Kansas with a strong south wind blowing. I usually enjoy driving this rig on the highway, but that was my most unfavorite day behind the wheel. It does catch the wind, I don't know how you would avoid it. I had to keep constant pressure on the steering wheel to the right to stay on track, and I quickly learned to anticipate the overpasses that would momentarily block the wind as you passed under them! I have a rear Trac-bar and a Safe-T-Steer installed which help a lot.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:01 PM   #498

Scott534, you are correct that having the main bedroom in the garage quickly becomes a PITA. Before I bought my OTL 18 months ago, I had rented a toyhauler TT for a long trip into the mountains of CO and then onto NE. If we stopped for the night while traveling, we had to unstrap the toys, set up the bed and in the morning before going do the same process in reverse. That is what got me to look at the OTL in the first place. Having the dedicated loft bedroom, we can stop for the night and not even touch the toys in the garage, get up next morning and be on our way. MUCH easier.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:12 PM   #499

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
I can't answer all of your questions but I'll answer what I can.
1) It depends on how fast you want to go. If you want to blast up the freeway at 80, you're not going to be able to do it. If you're OK going up with the semi's at 35-40, you'll be fine. Of course there are some really steep back roads that will tax the machine but in general you should be able to get up anything. It will rev higher than a diesel, keep that in mind.

2) It catches wind. If you slow down, it's a lot more comfortable. This is true with most big vehicles though.

3) The onan runs all three generators no problem. When you go to look at one, you can always verify it.

Hmmm... Guess I did answer them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
ksluy, my OTL has the 8.1l Chevy engine. I drive it in the mountains here in AZ, and have also had it in the mountains of UT and CO, fully loaded. It will get you where you want to go, but like Monkeyclaw said, you have to be in the mindset of not being in a hurry.

I have driven it east across I-70 in Kansas with a strong south wind blowing. I usually enjoy driving this rig on the highway, but that was my most unfavorite day behind the wheel. It does catch the wind, I don't know how you would avoid it. I had to keep constant pressure on the steering wheel to the right to stay on track, and I quickly learned to anticipate the overpasses that would momentarily block the wind as you passed under them! I have a rear Trac-bar and a Safe-T-Steer installed which help a lot.
I'll just add the same as above. I can usually keep up with the diesel pushers going up and I have two bikes in the garage as well as towing our Ford Edge. My only issue in the mountains is going down. Not really a big deal but with the gas engine you just don't have the engine braking as the diesels with their exhaust/jake brakes, so you just have to downshift and go slow, that's where the diesel pushers cruise past me.

I'll second the not having to deal with the bikes in the garage when travelling. Coming from Canada we usually spend a couple weeks on the road just getting south and there's times where you really wouldn't want to unload, like when you get stranded in a snow storm etc.

We're really enjoying our toy hauler, I don't think there's a better solution out there for us, wanting our two bikes and our car. It literally takes 10 minutes to unhook the car and have the bikes and bicycles unloaded and ready to ride. Watching people come and go in the RV parks I really don't think I'd want to go down the 5th wheel toy hauler route.

As for wind, we haven't had any crazy wind so far this year but I'll just say that the Ford F53 chassis handles WAY better than our previous Workhorse P32 chassis did, that older motorhome felt like you were piloting a sail boat down the highway using a tiller for control vs a steering wheel.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:19 PM   #500

Thor Owners Club
Thanks for all your help. I will be picking up my new Outlaw 38re on Friday. 7 hour drive so i guess i will know all about it when I get back.
ksluy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:21 PM   #501
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
CONGRATS Ksluy.

By the way...a complete Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) should be afforded to you at purchase. It is very important that you take all the time you need to have the dealer show you that everything works and will fix anything you find as imperfect on the new coach.

This is especially important with the dealer being hours away from home.

Best luck and here's hope that you come back and share all about the new rig
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 01-18-2015, 02:05 PM   #502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
And the list would not be complete without the Newmar Canyon Star Toy Haulers:
Newmar Canyon Star Motorhome | Newmar

Attachment 23746

Mfgt: 2009 - Present, Model 3920
2013 - Present, Model 3921

Chassis: Ford Triton V10, 26k GVWR

Major Options: Half bath in Garage.
MASSIVE FULL WALL SIDE in the 3921.
Our friends are looking at this.....my question would be how long of a spot would you require to park this monster including a toad vehicle??
Bob Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:10 PM   #503
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The 3920 and 3921 are advertised at 39'11" overall length. Add the toad to that for what ever they are pulling around.

This is a very common RV length nowadays, and they would be placed in the section with most of the Diesel pushers in any RV park...but, (unhook the car and) open the Canyon Star's ramp to rest on some legs and they could enjoy a party patio in back

Haven't seen a 3920/3921 with the ramp modified to be a patio - yet, but it surely would be possible.

Wish them best luck for us.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 01-18-2015, 08:40 PM   #504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Haven't seen a 3920/3921 with the ramp modified to be a patio - yet, but it surely would be possible.

Wish them best luck for us.
The problem is that the 3920/3921 has a huge hump in the ramp, making it less suitable to being made in to a ramp.
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote