Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2017, 10:25 AM   #645

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
I had to take my Outlaw yesterday to get some service work started at Sun City RV. (horrible reason, don't ask ).

Anyway, upon my exit from the facility I noticed they had a very rare, nice looking Simba toyhauler for sale. 2008, 31,000 miles, rear hydraulic lift gate, FRED. If anybody here is looking for a class A toyhauler, check it out. They obviously don't read their own copy, because they claim it to be a rear engine coach.

http://www.suncityrv.com/default.asp...=xAllInventory
That does look interesting. Don't like the idea of not having full time bedroom but I can see fixing up the garage as a bedroom and still be able to use that area for the dogs. Can't say I like the diamond plate but that can be corrected.

Does anyone know how that lift gate works? I wonder if you can use it as a deck.

I think the Cummins ISB engine is a reasonable reliable one but does anyone have any comments on that.

I do think I'd make several modifications.
  • Rip out the booth and put in a credenza that can also be a workstation.
  • Put a TV on a lift plus a fireplace across from the sofa where that flip up end table is currently.
  • Replace all of the shades with MDCs.
  • Replace the ACs.
  • Put in a residential fridge.
  • Update the inverter and add Lithium batteries.
  • Add solar.
  • Maybe a new paint job.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2017, 10:20 AM   #646

Send a message via Skype™ to Steven Groves
Newmar 3920 Hacks / Mods

Interested in seeing how others might have tackled the use of the ramp on a Newmar Canyon Star 3920.

We were introduced to the TH idea when we saw a Thor Outlaw for the first time last year. We shopped, compared and ended up with 2011 Newmar Canyon Star 3920 that we're picking up this coming weekend (sooo excited!)

The thing that interested us in the TH was how we might use the space not only to haul a local-use vehicle, but also being able to set-up an office space if we opt for a nomadic adventure sometime next year. The Thor config of a fold down 'patio' was awesome but alas, the Newmar does not come that way.

So my first question is the mods or hacks that other 3920 owners might have implemented or seen done. What was slick, clever, easy & quick. A pair of sawhorses are easy, but there might be better easy options I've not considered.

The second question is the weight bearing capability of the Newmar back ramp. The toy options we're looking at range from 1,000 to 1,800 lb's empty - how would the ramp handle that weight? I think I've seen elsewhere that it SHOULD handle around 3,000 lbs. Does Newmar have a spec on that?
Old 06-10-2017, 10:44 AM   #647
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Congrats and best luck with the Newmar CS3920.

Without any options in the garage, the garage load capacity should be 1,500lb.
When options like wash/dryer or half bath were added, that capacity decreased.

The ramp is reportedly not a vendor supplied piece like most other toy haulers...instead it is built in-house. If there is no data placard, you could try to call Newmar for specifics.

Looking at the Newmar style ramp, there is no obvious reason that it cannot be used as a deck. The angled bit is just outside of the hinge (vs. inside, within the garage floor like most all other toy haulers). It should be a possible DIY project.
Early Outlaws did not have the cables for a deck option either. Owners added it so often, that the factory copied the idea.

Hope you share all about the RV and your projects.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:51 PM   #648
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Outlaw - New for 2018 Overview

I see:
-Induction Cooktop is now standard (no LP option) in the kitchen*.
-LP port (standard) on the campsite side for that exterior grill (a standard appliance, I think).
-MorRyde Zero Gravity Ramp/Deck (standard) is shown with the electric lock bolts clearly visible on the top of the ramp/deck door**.
-MorRyde ramp/desk fence system (standard).
-Solar Charge Prep (standard).
-Multi-plex (Firefly) interior light and systems controls (standard).
-10" in-dash Touch Screen radio/monitor (standard).

*Induction cooktop means running the genset to cook when boondocking...
...but maybe most folks use the grill(?).
**Electric Ramp/Deck locks means the ramp/deck stays closed when the house battery is disconnected or dead...
...but maybe the 4 standard house batteries will be more robust than the old 2 set(?).

WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-13-2017, 08:24 PM   #649

Put 800AH of LiFePO4 Lithium and 1,200 to 1,600 watts of solar and who cares if it's a induction cooktop.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:34 AM   #650
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Canyon Star 2018 Overview

There's no specific mention of the Toy Hauler or Rear Shed models, but very nice coverage of the house bits...

I see:
-New standard and optional built-in WiFi systems.
-New optional dash displays.
-An AMAZING COUCH that converts to bunk-beds...genius!
Hope that couch is offered in all models

WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-15-2017, 06:00 PM   #651

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post

There's no specific mention of the Toy Hauler or Rear Shed models, but very nice coverage of the house bits...
I looked at the ToyHauler version (Model 3921) of this Canyon Star (https://www.newmarcorp.com/gas-motor...ar/floorplans/ )

There is a major design problem present on all the Canyon Star Toy Haulers: that is that the door from the bedroom to the GAR is a single narrow door, crammed behind the bed. NOT easy access when the slide-outs are IN.

They should use the Outlaw RB or MD design, with a sliding glass patio door.

Otherwise, I love the C-Star's very long driver's side slide out, and the rear 1st level bed with slide out. (Also love that convertible sofa that converts to a bunk!!)

Another advantage of the Outlaw, however, is the LOFT, which the 37RB and MD retain -- NOT because I like crawling up into a confined space, but because it gives a whole added dimension of room for storage, kids, etc.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:03 PM   #652

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo View Post
There is a major design problem present on all the Canyon Star Toy Haulers: that is that the door from the bedroom to the GAR is a single narrow door, crammed behind the bed. NOT easy access when the slide-outs are IN.
I don't think I would call it a design problem. We've moved on from our CS, but in the two years we had it never even thought about the door to the garage. Only ever used it a few times to throw a laundry hamper onto the bed from the garage. Never had a need to go into the garage from the bedroom while the slide was in? :shrug
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:10 AM   #653

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I don't think I would call it a design problem. We've moved on from our CS, but in the two years we had it never even thought about the door to the garage. Only ever used it a few times to throw a laundry hamper onto the bed from the garage. Never had a need to go into the garage from the bedroom while the slide was in? :shrug
Good point regarding use! Just so happens that I am working on my Outlaw, and I have to go repeatedly between inside of coach and garage -- so access happens to be important to me at this particular time.
But, in everyday use, it might not be so important.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:19 AM   #654
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have no problem with the single small garage door in the Canyon Star...that's similar to the legacy design of the Outlaw 3611/37LS...but, the CS door must open out (into the garage) due to the bed position.
We use our garage entryway A LOT, because for us the garage is a bonus room and screened patio when the toys are unloaded.

Instead of a door problem, we believe what both the CanyonStar 3921 and Outlaw RB need, is a bed that tilts/lifts at the head, so the bed pulls back into the slide. This is especially needed for the RB, because there is almost no passage by the bed with the bedroom slide retracted.
Plus, a tilt-a-bed is just a nice option anyway for watching TV or reading in the bedroom.

Both beautiful RV's but there's a bit of room for improvement.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-16-2017, 01:58 PM   #655
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Believe the transformer couch featured in the CanyonStar YouTube (above) is a FlexSteel unit new to their product line...opinions?

Could replace any RV sofa with room for it. Very family friendly solution to those in the need of a bunkhouse RV

We are not affiliated.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-22-2017, 05:03 PM   #656

Newmar Owners Club
I just sold my 2012 Canyon star 3920 and never had any major problems with the coach whatsoever. I do hear what you guys are saying about the bedroom door opening into the garage but it was never much of a problem for me what would have been more of a problem for me would be getting the outlaw and having to climb up into the bed every night and then more importantly having to climb out of the bed over my wife in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. (I'm semi old) The only real complaint I have about the CS 3920 was the angle of the ramp door which is pretty steep and if you're not ready for it like the first time I unloaded my ultra classic out of the back and locked the front wheel up and slid all the way down luckily I did not drop it because I'm good like that. LOL The trick with the ramp with any motorcycle is put it in gear and use the clutch as a brake as well as the front and it's a breeze to unload it's just a matter of keeping it under control on the way down ... on a sidenote a buddy of mine bought the outlaw because of the price difference and had some structural integrity problems from leaks to delamination on his walls they did make good on it but had his coach for 3 1/2 months ... i'll give a double thumbs up on newmar quality over the outlaw for sure it's much nicer throughout ... my buddy feels the same way unfortunately he so far upside down Ihe will never get out of the coach without coming up with almost 30 K ... He was forewarned and now you are too !
Sicduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:48 AM   #657

We have a Newmar 2016 Canyon Star Toy Hauler, so we can haul our Harley Trike. Plus when we are out on the Trike, we put our dogs in the garage area. It has a tv, radio, and AC, so the dogs are happy.
WulfHaslett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:18 AM   #658

We have a 2016 Newmar Canyon Star Toy Hauler. We have never had an issue with the door opening from the bedroom to the garage, unless we open it ourselves.
WulfHaslett is offline   Reply With Quote