Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BpK9Miami View Post
Steve, I have to admit I probably would have taken a closer look at these if they were still being built when I was in the market - they do appear nice don't they? I know Dave has the side opening ramp, but there is something about being able to load from either side, or just one at a time, that appeals to me and would work better for both of the long term sites I use to live at or in...using my back ramp is sometimes not an option.

But, as noted, people who own these must really like em' You simply don't see too many on the previously owned market. Kinda wish this was closer than PA, I'd love to poke through one and see if they look as good in person.
While this is a very attractive looking coach, I have to say that the design makes me say..."hmmmm?".

While the mid engine Spartan chassis is going to be a perk (if you have the $$) the double slid garage is a lot of extra weight, and this design still needs space for the 11'-12' ramps at the rear...And you are not going to be loading a quad or SmartCar.

Of course it does give you an extra wide garage when you are parked and spread open (if the slides have roof's, but I can't see that part). I think the other design (side ramp) would be simpler to use.

I prefer the wider rear ramp set-up. I have never had a problem with space for the rear ramp, because that's where the RV has just "driven-in" from.

The fact that any floorplan is no longer being built speaks to the overall acceptance. The outlaw and the very similar Canyon Star are what people are buying...I think that says a lot.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2012, 03:06 AM   #58

Steve...thanks so much for pointing me at this thread. It has addressed most of my chassis and drive train questions :-)

Will
Renthorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #59

Damon Owners Club
Steve, I may have missed this one earlier...is so, sorry for taking up room. If not, here's one for the list. IMHO it looks remarkably like an outlaw with the exception of the windows in the loft and the very sharp hump.

Bounty Hunter Luxury Class A Toy Hauler
Old 09-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #60

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I met a guy and his wife a couple of months back that gave me a tour through theirs. The fit and finish was a little nicer than the Outlaw. I couldn't help but wonder who copied who with this design.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:14 AM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
GMC Factory Toyhauler - Very Rare

I have looked and looked on-line trying to find a picture of a Toyhauler made from the amazing old GMC factory Motorhome...but I have had no luck.

I saw one in-person at a car show, so I know they made them, of course they would make almost anything you wanted. And, at the PEAK of the Custom Van fad, they were wildly popular.

So here is a picture from the assembly line to give an idea of what it was like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GMC_Mfg_line.jpg
Views:	1092
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	25770

I have always thought they were cool
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 09-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #62
CBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
The fact that any floorplan is no longer being built speaks to the overall acceptance. The outlaw and the very similar Canyon Star are what people are buying...I think that says a lot.
My understanding is that Spartan stopped building the mid-engine chassis, so Newmar was forced to stop making the Allstar line. People that own the Allstar really seem to like them, so you don't see them come on the used market much. I would have had a harder decision to make if it was still being made (or if used ones were easier to find) when I ordered my 3920. (The DW did not want to entertain the loft style bedroom on the Outlaw.)
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:20 AM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I found more about the Rig from Post #9.

It's another German super rig...I guess not all roads in Europe require the Sprinter based RV's.

Volkner Mobil:
Willkommen bei Volkner Mobil im Internet

Name:	volkner-mobil-performance-mini.jpg
Views:	1447
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	25903

Years Mfgt: Sorry, again too much of the website is German.
Models: Available in 9-12meter styles (oddly thats less than 37feet)
Chassis: Mercedes Benz, MAN or Volvo
Major options: Yea, anything you can think of...including the "BrainPilot" automatic controller for most coach systems.
Special Note - They say you can rent one from the factory
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 09-11-2012, 06:18 AM   #64

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
I found more about the Rig from Post #9.

It's another German super rig...I guess not all roads in Europe require the Sprinter based RV's.

Volkner Mobil:
Willkommen bei Volkner Mobil im Internet

Attachment 25903

Years Mfgt: Sorry, again too much of the website is German.
Models: Available in 9-12meter styles (oddly thats less than 37feet)
Chassis: Mercedes Benz, MAN or Volvo
Major options: Yea, anything you can think of...including the "BrainPilot" automatic controller for most coach systems.
Special Note - They say you can rent one from the factory
Wow...I could load my Mini inside? Gee, how cute is that?
Old 09-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How about some pictures of uses for the Garage. There's lots of uses besides moving motorcycles and Smart Cars...
This is my Outlaw with a pair of Trundel Beds that fold-up to a single when not in use.

Name:	536261_419407258120652_1945513147_n.jpg
Views:	1250
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	26135

This is one currently for sale that was used for Coordination of Search and Rescue:

Name:	4321785_5.jpg
Views:	867
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	26136
For sale Here:
2008 Damon Outlaw, Class A - Gas RV For Sale By Owner in Wildomar, California | RVMotorized.com - 95897
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 10-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Decisions - Decisions

Under the heading of "Garage use ideas"...
Do you install the RV washer/dryer or just get the "Keg-erator"?!

Name:	california-rv-show+built-in-kegerators.jpg
Views:	863
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	27585

A Canyon Star (I think) from last years California RV Show

Name:	california-rv-show+class-a-motorhome-garage.jpg
Views:	1552
Size:	742.1 KB
ID:	27586
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 11-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Animated Motorhome Garage Pic

I don't know what kind of RV this is because the image was on a "Google Image" search linked to a website that is down.

But, I thought it was an interesting way to show how useful the garage in a Motorhome can be.

Name:   CY-RW-Garage-Annimation.gif
Views: 6792
Size:  904.2 KB
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 11-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thor Outlaw 37LS

New for 2013, Thor is offering the Outlaw 37LS (the 3611's replacement)
http://outlawrv.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by riplingj View Post

Name:	Class-A-RV-Toy-Haulers-Motorhomes-Garage-37LS-3611.jpg
Views:	839
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	28911

Big changes are - It's longer, the garage is still 122" deep, but it has a new optional drop down bunk over the cockpit and railing system to make the ramp into a "Party Patio", the bin doors open to the side, the double pane windows are larger, there is a new slide out pantry in the kitchen, and the full body paint scheme is all new.

Many thanks to riplingj for the pictures from the factory lot. And, he says there is a second model in the works with longer floorplan and double slides (ala' 3808?)!
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 11-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #69

New here!

Quote:
Hey all,

What's the capacity of your ramp and garage?

My Damon Outlaw is posted with a max ramp capacity of 2,700lb and the garage is rated for 2,500lb!

It also says, of course, that you should never exceed the GVWR - mine is 24,000. I guess if you stuff the cabin with lots of people and stuff, you might get into the gross allowance, before loading the garage, but I like to run light for MPG considerations.

The ramp on the Outlaw is a massive 11foot in length going from just above the hitch receiver to almost all the way to the top of the 12'11" roofline ('cuz of the loft above the garage) which includes a 6" folding kick-panel at the end of the ramp.

I don't know what the angle is on the ramp, but it's real easy for me to load/unload my motorcycle, and I don't have any problem going down the ramp like others have described with other styles.

What do you have?
Well we are new here, still haven't decided what unit to get, but actively looking and especially at the Outlaw. Our meanest decision is about the ramp. We have an '11 HD TriGlide, dry weight is 1175 but fully loaded we're looking at about 1250 or so. The angle of the ramp is the problem for almost every Toy Hauler we've looked at, including putting an extension flap on it. About 6"-8" clearance max when we pitch the nose up that ramp the tail pipes drag at the crux. Any suggestions? We want to get on the road and finish up this decision, so appreciate ANY advice!
Lindy
Lindy-FLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #70

Quote:
I have looked and looked on-line trying to find a picture of a Toyhauler made from the amazing old GMC factory Motorhome...but I have had no luck.

I saw one in-person at a car show, so I know they made them, of course they would make almost anything you wanted. And, at the PEAK of the Custom Van fad, they were wildly popular.

So here is a picture from the assembly line to give an idea of what it was like.

Attachment 25770

I have always thought they were cool
That's just ramps they used on the assembly line before they put the back cap on. Not to say that someone may of modified one!

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote