Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2018, 02:28 PM   #715

Tom, that is a nice looking toyhauler. I like the opposing salon slides and the kitchen tucked into the driver side corner. What chassis is this riding on, and what is the garage depth?

There were quite a few class A toyhauler options like this that were introduced just before the Great Recession that quickly disappeared. Now that the industry is healthy again I wish the manufacturers would bring more of these great rigs back to market and give us consumers more options.

Was this Hurricane a Thor product, or did that acquisition occur later?

I like what you did with that home-made Shasta toyhauler. You should have carried the rear roof bump further forward, then it could have that cool Outlaw look
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2018, 03:05 PM   #716
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Hurricane was a FourWinds line...acquired by Thor.
See: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/clas...ml#post1250009

Here's a nice walk-thru:

FourWinds model lines are now only Class C's.
And, the Hurricane is a great selling TMC model line, but obviously no toy hauler model:
See: https://www.thormotorcoach.com/hurricane/floor-plans/

I believe there was an optional mid-ship drop-down queen bunk in the Hurricane toy hauler...added 2 sleeping positions to the salon (making a possible 8 - w/ Garage bunk, sofa sleeper, and dinette).
And the coolest thing was the roof Hatch access from the ladder way in the garage (see video)

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:32 PM   #717

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
What chassis is this riding on, and what is the garage depth?
20,500 and 10'

No where can I find what it weighs empty...so I will probably cry when I weigh it...The GTX weighs 17,000 empty...and it is a close copy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
I believe there was an optional mid-ship drop-down queen bunk in the Hurricane toy hauler...added 2 sleeping positions to the salon

I would like to see a pic...no way to do it with the present floor plan..and I have never seen another floorplan
Old 02-13-2018, 03:58 PM   #718

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1984 View Post
20,500 and 10' . . .
So, Ford or Workhorse?
Old 02-13-2018, 05:01 PM   #719
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
20,500 and 10'
No where can I find what it weighs empty...so I will probably cry when I weigh it...The GTX weighs 17,000 empty...and it is a close copy.

I would like to see a pic...no way to do it with the present floor plan..and I have never seen another floorplan
FourWinds/Thor and later Thor Motor Coach has always weighed each coach leaving the factory. They take the GVWR, subtract the curb weight or unloaded vehicle weight (UVW), factor the weight of a loaded LP tank, and post the difference as OCCC (Occupant and Cargo Carry Capacity) on a label, usually posted by the door.
See definitions here:
Weighing Glossary

Find the OCCC and with the GVWR and a figure a full tank of LP tank, you can figure the UVW.
They do not post the UVW because it is a useless number as soon as a driver gets in the RV with his/her stuff.

We took our RV to a scale about 1 year into ownership, after settling on an average loaded set-up. GVWR minus this number gave us our remaining carry capacity...Ironically it was just under 2,000lb remaining on the front GAWR and about 2,500lb remaining on the rear GAWR (which is weight of the garage capacity)...very happy with how our RV is built.

About the mid-ship drop-down bunk...
Have only seen 1 photo of the optional bunk in a Hurricane 34Y. The bunk was retracted into a box on the ceiling and DID NOT have a side track system like the Happi-Jac. I believe it used a suspension lift like:

or

Very interesting...really could be used in any RV with a salon. Only 1 end of the bunk needs a rail, which could be up front by the front seat belt mounts. The bunk would need to compress when lifted to clear the top of the slides when the slides are retracted, of course.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 02-14-2018, 06:03 AM   #720

Quote:
FourWinds/Thor and later Thor Motor Coach has always weighed each coach leaving the factory. They take the GVWR, subtract the curb weight or unloaded vehicle weight (UVW), factor the weight of a loaded LP tank, and post the difference as OCCC (Occupant and Cargo Carry Capacity) on a label, usually posted by the door.

Most RVs I have been looking at...you could find the UVW and or the OCCC online...not this puppy...and if it is posted on the RV they are hiding it well.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:36 AM   #721
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That photo is of the VIN tag...usually posted by the driver's position.

The OCCC tag should be by the entry door.

The 34Y, at 35'9" in length was probably about 17,000-18,000lb empty. LP is 4.2lb per gallon (typical to have a 100lb/about 23gal tank). So with 20,500lb GVWR, the OCCC would probably be somewhere between 2,400-3,400.

Like I said, its best to get the RV weighed - now or after you settle on a loaded set-up.

And please don't be surprised...Many owners of the early Ford chassis Outlaw 3611's only had 22,000lb GVWR. Many found they could go overweight on the rear axle rather easy. Hense the optional Workhorse chassis.

best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 02-14-2018, 09:34 PM   #722

Quote:

The OCCC tag should be by the entry door.
Dug out the owners manual...has a picture of the tag...says it should have the UVW and the CCC on it...says it should be in the bedroom closet...I have looked in every door,drawer,and cubbie hole...no tag.

I don't believe the former owners removed it...it has every possible sticker...still has warning stickers on the ceiling next to the smoke/CO alarms.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:48 AM   #723

We loved our 2016 Canyon Star. I loved the garage area, because we hauled our Harley in there, plus when we were gone from our camp area, we put our dogs back there. My husband just decided he had to have a diesel, so we are getting a Ventana. If you want a toy hauler, the Canyon Star is awesome.
WulfHaslett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:15 AM   #724
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Dug out the owners manual...has a picture of the tag...says it should have the UVW and the CCC on it...says it should be in the bedroom closet...I have looked in every door,drawer,and cubbie hole...no tag.

I don't believe the former owners removed it...it has every possible sticker...still has warning stickers on the ceiling next to the smoke/CO alarms.
So...if the weights label is not by the door, try looking inside all the cabinets again. The early Outlaws put this decal on a kitchen cabinet door.
This one is on our RV's younger sister Outlaw #1196 (a Ford 22,000lb GVWR F53):
Click image for larger version

Name:	Outlaw 1196 Ford 22K.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	192418

Problem with this decal is that because of the cabinet wood sealer/gloss coat, the decal might have come off

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 02-25-2018, 02:28 PM   #725

Maybe this will help. Seller sent it to me as I am interested in purchasing his unit. Hopefully it comes thru alright.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hurricane 34Y.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	637.2 KB
ID:	193709
WhiskeyTip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:09 PM   #726
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
UVW listed at 17,387lb and CCC at 2,126lb...I was close in post #721

Of course, CCC is different from the newer OCCC term used/mandated by RVIA since 06/2008.
http://www.rvsafety.com/weighing/weighing-glossary
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 03-10-2018, 07:18 AM   #727

Yeah I figured it wouldn't be much...but it's not hard to increase capacity...as long as the tires are not overloaded I'm not worried. It originally came with G load range with recommended 82 PSI inflation...they were more worried about the ride than the capacity.

thanks
Old 03-14-2018, 03:30 PM   #728

Quote:
About the mid-ship drop-down bunk...
Have only seen 1 photo of the optional bunk in a Hurricane 34Y. The bunk was retracted into a box on the ceiling and DID NOT have a side track system like the Happi-Jac. I believe it used a suspension lift like:

After tons of research I am sure that no 34y came with a mid-ship bunk...a lot of options that were available on other Hurricane's were not available on the 34y.

Other Hurricane's did have a drop down bed over the cab...and only had tracks on one end similar to the first vid you posted...I would't mind finding one for a retro-fit.