Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Newmar 3920 Garage Access

I have been looking at the Newmar 3920 in light of the new Outlaw 37MD (a new Toyhauler floorplan with finished and separate living/bedroom coming to showrooms soon) and saw something that I had not noticed before...

The bottom of the garage door is level with the bedroom floor...so there is a noticable step-down into the garage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_inventory_images_7830_2010_Newmar_Canyon_Star_3920_Exterior_2.JPG
Views:	1262
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	31308
Picture found here: 2010 Newmar Canyon Star 3920 Toy Hauler Exterior 1 Photo Gallery

This is unlike all Outlaws (3611, 3808, and 37LS and 37MD) that have some step-well inside the finished interior.

While it is only a small difference in design, I think this a big difference to the daily use of the doorway.
-Pro's: The interior floor is all level and there is NO CHANCE that any fluid spill could ever flow passed the door.
-Con's: The door MUST open into the garage (is that right?), so your toys or rear load might block the interior door (you would have to exit the RV and enter the garage from he side or rear), there is a step in the garage (using floor space), and stepping up or down to the bedroom is over the garage door threshold, so the seals will be exposed more to wear than if on a level floor.

What do you think?
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Newmar 3920 Garage Ramp Warning

In the interest of sharing the knowledge...loose hardware causes mis-alignment and cracks in ramp door fairing:

See here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/toy-...or-143898.html

In my experience, if it has happend to one person, it will probably happen to others, so...

Hey! All you 3920 owners, check your ramp hinge hardware
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 01-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #87

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post

What do you think?
Steve, I went and spent 90 minutes poking around the 3920 yesterday and had some observations. First, yeah, it's OK as a Toyhauler and really, not that much different (not better or worse) than our Outlaws. But there were a couple of negatives. . .

Yup, the garage door opens into the garage, and yes, you would have to accommodate that when you put a bike in. Secondly, if you get the model with the half bath in the garage, forgot about hauling two road bikes. They simply will not fit into the space on the drivers side due to the limited space. (although it would make a cozy little spot for my Segways)

The other thing that stood out to me (and remember I'm a full timer so my needs are a little different) was the lack of pantry and storage space in the interior, the placement of TV's, the operational issues with the back ramp, the smaller outside / under carriage stores, and the generally "small" feeling I got from the living space.

Now, in fairness, the interior looks, at first glance, remarkably like our Outlaw (with the obvious exception of the loft, and the bedroom). But once you've sat down and really get a feel for it you start to notice those minor differences.

It's nice, but I think over all "I still love my Outlaw"

(*) that's not to say I won't be swayed in the future if I can find the right Newmar 4153. But those owners hold on to those things like they're gold!

Old 01-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Buyer finds Outlaw 3611 has been discontinued for 37LS

If you look at www.outlawrv.comm, it appears that the 3611 is in current production along side the new (and very similar) 37LS.

But, last week a buyer commented here...:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/i-lo...102560-50.html
...that his order for a 3611 was converted to a 37LS due to a passing deadline.

From what I can tell, there's really not a big difference in the models, and the 37LS is upgraded with some things like a stonger ramp suspension to carry the new "party deck" fences, an extra 12" in the floor plan giving room for a pantry and the front drop-down bed is an option, etc.

So, that's the end of it for the 3611. Introduced in 2006 as a 2007 model, it has had a long run.

But, it's really not gone because the 37LS is very similar. And, reportely the new model is doing SO WELL that they are SOLD-OUT and on back-order. This, from the dealer that promised to show the 37LS at the annual Tampa, FL RV show. The dealer had to answer to the mfgt rep why they were unable to bring one to the show

I believe that to be true, because I have been unable to see one in person here on the West Coast. As soon as the unit arrives at the dealer, it is rolling out the door to pre-purchase owners
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 01-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #89

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Too bad we don't get royalties on the cable support idea!When I did mine, people were making and selling prop rods to support it from the ground. Where I was camping I could back out over a stream so I made the brackets and cables.

I'm still looking foreword to seeing the new MD though.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #90

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What is the bunk loft like on the outlaw. do you have room to sit up without hitting your head. I'm an old busted up harley rider and been looking at the Class A toy haulers. I just not sold on the master bed loft. How do you really like it.
Dave Leeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BpK9Miami View Post
Steve, I went and spent 90 minutes poking around the 3920 yesterday and had some observations. First, yeah, it's OK as a Toyhauler and really, not that much different (not better or worse) than our Outlaws. But there were a couple of negatives. . .

Yup, the garage door opens into the garage, and yes, you would have to accommodate that when you put a bike in. Secondly, if you get the model with the half bath in the garage, forgot about hauling two road bikes. They simply will not fit into the space on the drivers side due to the limited space. (although it would make a cozy little spot for my Segways)

The other thing that stood out to me (and remember I'm a full timer so my needs are a little different) was the lack of pantry and storage space in the interior, the placement of TV's, the operational issues with the back ramp, the smaller outside / under carriage stores, and the generally "small" feeling I got from the living space.

Now, in fairness, the interior looks, at first glance, remarkably like our Outlaw (with the obvious exception of the loft, and the bedroom). But once you've sat down and really get a feel for it you start to notice those minor differences.

It's nice, but I think over all "I still love my Outlaw"

(*) that's not to say I won't be swayed in the future if I can find the right Newmar 4153. But those owners hold on to those things like they're gold!

I case some of you didn't know, Newmar will custom build the interior the way you want it.

Might want to read a few recent threads in the Newmar forum. Been a few build threads in there.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Leeper View Post
What is the bunk loft like on the outlaw. do you have room to sit up without hitting your head. I'm an old busted up harley rider and been looking at the Class A toy haulers. I just not sold on the master bed loft. How do you really like it.
The loft is just that - a loft. It is tall enough for a kid to sit-up but not an adult. But, it is tall enough to prop-up onto some pillows to watch TV, there.

We don't sit in the bed too much, so the fact that it is a single use space made it the better choice. No traffic to/from the bath or kitchen and garage. To get in bed, it's a few steps up the interior stairs and just like our bed at home, 2-3 steps on your knees and you're in bed.

If you've ever had an RV with the master bed near the traffic path, then you know that is not the best and is why most Class A's have the bed in the far back.

It's not perfect for some. And a Class A wth a covered trailer will give you many of the same function. But we use the garage for many different uses, prefer the loft over a floorspace robbing bed, and tow a car, so it is best for us.

If you really want the real bedroom, and also want a Class Toyhauler then look at Newmar CanyonStar 3920 or the new Outlaw 37MD...they both have a real bedroom space.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 01-31-2013, 07:48 AM   #93

Damon Owners Club
Thanks for the clarification on Newmar.

The original post was in reply to specific questions that had been raised by fellow Outlaw owners or on the forum. Also, when I talked to the Newmar rep about some of the modifications, or custom changes I would need, the cost increase was such to make it unattractive from a financial point of view. It is/was simply cheaper to buy a stock Outlaw (or another similar toy hauler).

As I've said, I love my Outlaw, but as far as Newmar is concerned, I think they missed the boat when they took the mid engine model out of production. IMHO it was the best of both worlds with it's use of space and layout. I'll buy one in a heartbeat if I can ever find one!
Old 02-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #94
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Newmar Canyon Star 3920

There's been very few posts here from 3920 owners, so I wanted to add a few highlights to fill-out this thread. The Newmar Canyon Star 3920 is currently the only mass produced Class A Toyhauler in the US with a dedicated bedroom space.

Name:	3920 BR.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	33118'
Pic from this ad:
2007 newmar canyon star 3920 - class a toy hauler

This RV has a dedicated bedroom slide-out to increase the room at the foot of the bed and while the slide is in, still leaves a small walkway for getting to the far side of the room and garage door. The room has ample storage of wardrobes and drawers with a dedicated TV placed high on the wall for easy watching from anywhere in the room.

The door to the garage opens out from the bedroom, and the interior door is a pocket door - taking up no room in the interior.

A Very Nice RV
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 02-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thor Outlaw 37MD

The first (that I could find) actual pictures of the new Outlaw model 37MD are on the web. Ron Hoover RV/Marine Center in Houston, TX has received one and posted some pics. It's here:
Ron Hoover - Houston - 2013 THOR MOTORCOACH OUTLAW Class A Motorhome 37MD

Here is one pic of the option that sets it apart - sliding glass door between the garage and multi-purpose lounge/bedroom:

Name:	481326.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	33396
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 03-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thor has put their marketing Folks to work - finally - and updated the Outlaw Website with a real estate style Virtual Tour of the 37MD...the controllable rotating cam. Pretty cool

Check it out for the Virtual Tour:
2013 Outlaw Garage Motorhomes: Class A Toy Hauler RV by Thor Motor Coach
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 03-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #97

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pretty cool but I still don't care for that floor plan. I like the way they closed off the loft though
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #98

Damon Owners Club
Close call

Well guys (& gals) I had to come back to the forum this morning after a close call this weekend.

I made the mistake of heading over to a small RV show to see the 2013 Outlaws (they weren't there). I further compounded the problem by being sucked into looking at a pre-owned Fleetwood Revolution. All would have been well, except this one had a hydra-lift installed on the back with a history of transporting a full size dresser. Oh my.

Common sense fled before me like a man coming out of the desert seeking water. I can admit, it was a close call. The interior had me going for awhile with its wide open floor plan, extended countertops, and full size work desk. But alas, have no fear, I came to my senses at the last moment and fled the scene on my Segway at full speed!

My lesson learned? I love my Outlaw. Yes, I can be tempted, but like a marriage, I guess I'm stuck with both the good and the not-so-good for awhile longer. I had to come back here, to my fellow Outlaw owners and your comments, to remember how the good oftentimes out weigh the rest.

So thank you!