Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2018, 07:22 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Vaflatlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonS View Post
No. At the very least Flex Seal doesn't hold up well to applications that are exposed to UV rays from the sun.
I had a similer problem 5 years ago. It was quite a learning experiance. Do you still have a Crt tv hanging over the windshield the weight could contribute to your problem. The cap has support struts suspending the windshield you need to check them. Finally a butyl adhesive, not silicone must be used to secure the windshield and the gasket. Good prep is essential to a sucessful job. I hope this is helpful to your situation. Good luck.
Vaflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2018, 07:47 PM   #16

The glass shop noticed the gap before they replaced it (after removing my duct tape of course!) and then they were able to seat the new windshield properly without the gap, but they said they really had to work at it. However by the time I drove the hour home it had already reopened. I will do some more investigation on the struts that you mention and I will also look into the butyl adhesive. Any recommendations? Thanks for the advice!
RedRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:34 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgretired View Post
I just purchased a 2005 itaska suncruiser by the time we got it home from arizona we found both windshields are loose and leaking. Further inspection the metal header is rusted and the seal is loose.I am having trouble with the dealer to repair this problem. Could use some help in getting this problem resolved. Thanks
I expect you bought the coach "As-Is".
Unless you found the problem on the lot and noted it on the sales receipt that dealer would fix it, I think you are going to end up paying the full cost of this repair.

Do you have kind of warranty paperwork. Some states allow you to cancel a major purchase within a couple of days of the purchase. https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...-rule-may-help
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:42 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
To only way to possibly succeed in a long term fix to this is to remove the windshield again. Then remove the seal and thoroughly clean it. Have to be sure to remove any remnants of silicone and other adhesives. Finish the cleaning with alcohol. Do the same to the cap. Cleanliness is most important. Then, using urethane adhesive that is used for windshield installations, install the seal onto the cap. Let it sit overnight then install the windshield into the seal without using urethane. Any other “bandaid” approach will be very short lived.

Good luck!
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRooster View Post
Well this seems to be a common problem for many. I just had a new windshield put in today but the problem persists. I have a gap at the top corner passenger side. I'm assuming there must have been some flex or roof damage with the last owner because I can see a bead of silicon that had been applied before.

So here's my plan, please tell me if you think I'm crazy: I've lightly sanded and prepped the area, masked it off, I am going to pack the void with backer rod and then use flex seal over that to basically bond the rubber gasket with the body.

Do you guys think that'll work?
I just had the same problem repaired. Me thinks your installer does not know RV windshields. The gap you are seeing is because the windshields have shifted in the opening. They will need to unzip the rubber gasket and get the windshields centered. Filling that gap is just going to cause major issues. Primarily, the windshield can start moving around too much and cause a crack, which happened to mine. My repairman had me stand back and look at the windshield. I could see how it shifted to the driver side by about 1.5 inches only after he showed me how to look at it. He loosened the gasket and manhandled the windshield back to center and is now resealing under the gaskets with urethane.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
To only way to possibly succeed in a long term fix to this is to remove the windshield again. Then remove the seal and thoroughly clean it. Have to be sure to remove any remnants of silicone and other adhesives. Finish the cleaning with alcohol. Do the same to the cap. Cleanliness is most important. Then, using urethane adhesive that is used for windshield installations, install the seal onto the cap. Let it sit overnight then install the windshield into the seal without using urethane. Any other “bandaid” approach will be very short lived.

Good luck!
That is kind of how they fixed mine but did not urethane the seal onto the cap until after they had it all centered. They pulled back the seal and put the urethane in. They also put urethane between the glass and seal after the glass was in place as another water barrier. It was obvious the seal was not urethaned in as you mentioned but as my installer did it. Factory just didn't use as much urethane as they should have used. This guy has done several RV windshields and came highly recommended from Duncan.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:40 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
At the factory many coach builders did not use any urethane. My Monaco was one of them. My windshield had been replaced sometime before I purchased it and there was a lot of wind noise and a small gap at both lower corners between the gasket and the cap. I would push it out to cover but it wouldn’t last long. I replaced the windshield and gasket and installed as mentioned above what a difference.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:51 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My windshield leaks water on the driver's side while parked in heavy/consistent rain.
The local mobile auto glass company here where I'm staying says that he has the tools and knowledge to remove it and reseal with urethane. Any thoughts or experiences because I'm concerned that it might break during the process.
Also, would insurance cover something like this?
BruceNeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:56 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
There is always a risk of it breaking when removing it but the chances are low that it will break. I wouldn’t let them do it in the sun unless it’s first thing in the morning or late in the day. Not sure about the insurance coverage. Most likely they won’t cover it unless it was broken.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:06 AM   #24

Found some even better tape, TRex, not cheap, but stands to weather much better than Duck or Gorilla tape. I change out tape every two years and no leaks. As for the glue removal, tied everything including acetone and flapper wheels on the last Gorilla tape removal. Turns out gasoline does the trick, be careful to get as little as possible on the black windshield sealer. Next year I’ll throw the black rubber trim piece away, fill evenly between the glass and Fiberglas cap and cover with the TRex tape, less problem with compound corners. Hope this helps.
Sugardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:12 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIDan View Post
Use black Gorilla duct tape until you get to the shop. Your windshields may have to be removed and re installed.
That's what we did and it worked well!

A couple weeks ago we had quite a down-incline with a sharp turn to get to a CG. The passenger windshield popped out an inch. We noticed it when we left - it sounded like a window open, then DW saw sky from around the window. We checked with one glass company, and they didn't have the equipment to fix it. He suggested Gorilla Tape until we got to a city where we did have it fixed. Gorilla tape sealed it well and held it in place.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:37 AM   #26

Classic Winnie problem. Metal around windshield has rusted away. You can try taping it with Gorilla tape to get home.

Need to pull both windshields, cut out rotted metal and replace it, then remount windshields and gaskets.
Domo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:01 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

This thread is 5 years old; I hope he got it fixed before now.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:15 AM   #28

Yep, new tape every two years, no leaks since.
Sugardog is offline   Reply With Quote