Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2016, 11:40 AM   #1

Class A Winnebago Spare Tire?

Should my "spare tire" fit at any of the six locations on the RV? We have a front tire that keeps going low and a spare tire that is new and good. Should that "spare" wheel be the same offset or backspacing of my front wheels and rear wheels? Or does the "spare" usually only work at some of the tire mounting points? So, are all the RV wheels/rims the same offset or backspacing on a given RV? Thanks!
rvmorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2016, 11:43 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmorkie View Post
Should my "spare tire" fit at any of the six locations on the RV? We have a front tire that keeps going low and a spare tire that is new and good. Should that "spare" wheel be the same offset or backspacing of my front wheels and rear wheels? Or does the "spare" usually only work at some of the tire mounting points? So, are all the RV wheels/rims the same offset or backspacing on a given RV? Thanks!
The spare fits all positions.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:28 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why don't you have the tire that keeps going low repaired?
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 01:01 PM   #4

The wheels on a gas engine MH, for the most part, will fit any position. I'm not sure if when using aluminum wheels, that they are used on inside positions.

The diesel pushers sometimes use wider tires on the front or tag axle. Some also use aluminum wheels only on the outer position and steel inside.

It makes carrying a spare challenging.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 02:52 PM   #5

Thanks ga traveler. I called AAA and a local towing company changed my tire for me. Now with that "bad" tire off I will take it to a professional tire repair shop to find out why it is losing air. This problem went virtually unnoticed in the summer, but now that it's cold here the tire is going from 100lbs to 20-30lbs in just a couple weeks...
Old 12-26-2016, 03:03 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
rvmorkie,
Make sure you mark the rotation direction of that tire. Just as a short distance spare you should be fine, but if it went back on regularly, spinning in the wrong direction is not good.
100 to 85 or 90 would be caused by temperature; your tire shop idea is good.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 03:28 PM   #7

I was just reading the Michelin RV tire guide and they said to reverse rotation if unusual wear is showing.

Later in the guide they said rotation should not be necessary but you could move them to any position.

What's not good about spinning in the wrong direction ?
Old 12-26-2016, 04:08 PM   #8
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I was just reading the Michelin RV tire guide and they said to reverse rotation if unusual wear is showing.

Later in the guide they said rotation should not be necessary but you could move them to any position.

What's not good about spinning in the wrong direction ?
I too have been told by truck mechanics and tire professionals, so have been under the assumption for a long time, that the vast majority of commercial truck tires (tires we use on Class A RVs) are not directional and can be run in either direction.

I first ran into this years ago at a Freightliner shop where they were trying to remedy a handling problem and laughed at me when I was concerned that the tires would be going in the "wrong" direction when they switched the two front tires/wheels. When I expressed that it couldn't be good for the tires to be run in different directions, I was given a firm "no it doesn't matter" from several of the employees.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:25 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
This fall I had to replace my two front tires on our Journey. The new Michelin tires are directional and there are arrows built into the tires with the direction of rotation.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:28 AM   #10

I first saw directional arrows on high performance tires, but this condition may be spreading due to mileage, wear, tread design, or other considerations by the tire manufacturers. My assumption is if there are no directional arrows on the sidewall of the tire, then the direction of rotation doesn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
This fall I had to replace my two front tires on our Journey. The new Michelin tires are directional and there are arrows built into the tires with the direction of rotation.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
Michelin Truck tires come in directional styles.

They don't mention directional tires for RVs in their guide.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:03 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmorkie View Post
Thanks ga traveler. I called AAA and a local towing company changed my tire for me. Now with that "bad" tire off I will take it to a professional tire repair shop to find out why it is losing air. This problem went virtually unnoticed in the summer, but now that it's cold here the tire is going from 100lbs to 20-30lbs in just a couple weeks...
With a slow leak like that I would have just aired it up and drove it to the tire repair place and let them take it off, repair it and put it back on if repairable. A lot less hassle than waiting for road service. Now after you get it repaired you will need someone to put it back on.
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:16 PM   #13

Actually you are wrong, it was A LOT more convenient for me, waiting at home for 20 minutes and getting it changed for FREE in the driveway.... (yearly AAA subscription already paid for, and five service calls per year, per person allowed); and then taking the leaking tire (just the tire, no need to Drive RV anywhere) to be fixed at my convenience. Now, I have a one less leaking tire on the RV, and still have a good (non-leaking) spare...

These tires are TOYO M143 and are NOT directional, so they can roll either direction.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:21 PM   #14

when I looked into getting a spare for my ford f53, it has aluminum outer and steel inner dually. I do not believe 2 aluminum wheels will fit the supplied studs so I use a steel wheel on the spare so it will fit all locations. Steel is thinner at the stud hole. That is from memory 6 years ago, I may be "out to lunch"
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, winnebago