Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2020, 12:15 PM   #1

Class A winter cover

I am looking for input on a class A cover for wintering over my RV. I have read reviews and looked at pricing...I am looking at Goldline cover $600+ or the Adco Tyvek cover $500...but wanted some honest input on what other have used in the past.
mjalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2020, 12:28 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought one for my previous MH, had it on one time at the beginning of the cold season, took it off to take the MH out for a drive and never put it back on. I don't use a winter cover any more for 2 reasons, 1) it's too hard (and dangerous) for me to get it on in winter weather by myself, and 2) I take my MH out for a drive, weather permitting, every 4-6 weeks to exercise it and the generator, and to put a charge into the batteries. I just don't want to take the cover off and put it back on multiple times a winter. Others will have their own opinions on this, but that's where I'm parked on the subject.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:40 PM   #3

I had the Adco cover for a 1996 36' coach when new. I put it on one time and took it off when going on a trip in January. After I struggled in the snow to get it off, it never saw the light of day again. If you are going to put it on and leave it there for six months and take it off after the weather has warmed up, it might be worth it to you, but not to me.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:16 PM   #4

Thanks for the input. It makes sense...I didn't think about taking it off and on during the winter. I live in northern Ohio so once snow hits we don't do much. So I might look to get a cheaper cover just for keeping snow off.
mjalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:15 PM   #5

I remember reading an article somewhere that said that using a cheap cover sometimes may not give any protection at all. Plus, they are even more difficult to install and remove because they are made of thinner material. Covers also can do damage to paint and decals from wind blowing the cover against the body and dust and debris getting trapped.

I'm one who used a cover once when first starting RVing many years ago and never used it again. What a hassle to put on and off. And the one thing I didn't like is once the cover is off, having to clean and store it. I figured it would take almost as much time to give the roof and body a good detailing in the Spring rather than to hassle with taking the cover off, cleaning it, folding it and storing it. And, the motorhome will not be pristine either once you remove the cover. You'll have to still do a wash and clean it up a bit.

One year when we stored an RV outside during the winter, I would clean and put protectant on the roof in the Fall and then do it again in the Spring. It really take that much more time and effort. It did snow several times during that winter.

There is still a lot of work to do, no matter. Good luck in whatever you decide. Just like with everything else, you'll have some here saying they religiously use a cover with no hassles too so you have to decide on how you want to proceed. Where we stored our RVs many years ago during the winter probably did not have quite as severe weather as Ohio, however.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:27 PM   #6

I live in Michigan so I know all about the snow, I used one for 6 seasons that I bought off eBay. I tried to get it on by Thanksgiving and didn’t usually take it off until April as others have said it was a hassle to put on and take off but I could do it by myself as long as it wasn’t windy. The wind is whole another story ever year after a big wind I would have to make repairs , add straps etc the wind was really the biggest problem last winter the cover was destroyed in the wind. I just sold that coach and the one I just bought is going to be stored inside this winter, it won’t be cheap but will be nice not worrying every time the wind howls.

Brian
B433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 04:25 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well..... I'm going to Florida for the winter, and staying with my folks that we take care of full time. Probably from Nov to April it will be parked, and I'm worried about the Florida sun, so was thinking I would cover the beast.

Tags
class a, cover, winter