Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2022, 07:08 AM   #1

Class B non-commercial driver's license

I recently got my class B non-commercial driver's license as required in North Carolina to drive a vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more. The written portion off the test appeared to be he same as for a CDL. Fifty questions that covered such things as how to handle skids in a semi, allowable tread depth for steer tires, pre-trip inspections of tractor/trailer and air brakes. It was a challenge but I passed only missing six questions.

When it came time for the skills test (driving test) I was surprised when the examiner checked to see that the turn signals and brake lights worked but stopped me when I started the pre-trip inspection and air brakes test. This is not a truck so we do not require that.

The hardest part of the skills test was backing out of the parking lot onto a narrow side road. If I hit the stop sign I would fail. The rest of the test was just a drive around the block

I asked the examiner if she got a lot of drivers for RV's. I was her first. Most of the tests she administers are for fire trucks. Are there a lot of RV's being driven without the required license?
Warrenjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2022, 07:29 AM   #2

Spartan Chassis
Probably so. I don't think you'll find too many police that would want to take the time to investigate the GVWR of someone's motorhome they just pulled over for speeding.
Of course, if you're ever in an accident and you kill someone, you better be sure the disgusting attorneys will try to blame you for killing someone because you don't have a piece of paper saying you paid the appropriate tax to allow you to drive something that can carry 26001 pounds, as opposed to 25999.
Injuneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 07:38 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Congratulations on your license! Yes, there are a lot of un-licensed drivers (legal terminology for those that don't have the correct license) primarily due to misinformation. Each state has different requirements for licensing and a lot of dealers and salesmen will tell new RVers that they don't need a special license when they do. When we bought our first DP, our salesman told us we didn't need a license in Texas and I had to correct his mis-thinking.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 07:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenjo View Post
I recently got my class B non-commercial driver's license as required in North Carolina to drive a vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more. The written portion off the test appeared to be he same as for a CDL. Fifty questions that covered such things as how to handle skids in a semi, allowable tread depth for steer tires, pre-trip inspections of tractor/trailer and air brakes. It was a challenge but I passed only missing six questions.

When it came time for the skills test (driving test) I was surprised when the examiner checked to see that the turn signals and brake lights worked but stopped me when I started the pre-trip inspection and air brakes test. This is not a truck so we do not require that.

The hardest part of the skills test was backing out of the parking lot onto a narrow side road. If I hit the stop sign I would fail. The rest of the test was just a drive around the block

I asked the examiner if she got a lot of drivers for RV's. I was her first. Most of the tests she administers are for fire trucks. Are there a lot of RV's being driven without the required license?
Yes, I think so. I also think that when buying from a dealer, the dealer should inform the potential buyer of what may legally be required to drive the rig. Maybe they do. I’m just commenting.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 08:32 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Congrats on getting the [roper license for your RV. There are too many that ignore the law out of ignorance of the law or take the attitude that the government can't tell me what to do.

My wife also has passed the class A for pour truck and trailer with no issues. Being very frank, if you can't pass the test, you need to find something else to drive.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 03:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
Of course, if you're ever in an accident and you kill someone, you better be sure the disgusting attorneys will try to blame you for killing someone because you don't have a piece of paper saying you paid the appropriate tax to allow you to drive something that can carry 26001 pounds, as opposed to 25999.
People say this sort of thing all the time, and I've found any authority that lack of having the non-commercial Class B license leads to automatic or even presumptive liability on the driver's part. Do you have any official sources that say it does, like court cases?

I asked a personal injury lawyer about how the lack of the correct license for a big RV could be used in a personal injury case. He said he'd never heard of someone trying to use lack of proper license in a lawsuit, but supposed it could be "some" evidence of lack of proper training, but that's all.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 05:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
People say this sort of thing all the time, and I've found any authority that lack of having the non-commercial Class B license leads to automatic or even presumptive liability on the driver's part. Do you have any official sources that say it does, like court cases?

I asked a personal injury lawyer about how the lack of the correct license for a big RV could be used in a personal injury case. He said he'd never heard of someone trying to use lack of proper license in a lawsuit, but supposed it could be "some" evidence of lack of proper training, but that's all.
So we should disregard all or just some of our state laws?

Sure, I've argued about this with you through the years. You claim that an insurance company can't treat you any differently or deny a claim if you are not properly licensed. That could be so but I don't want to be in the position to find out for sure.

When we were Nevada residents, we knew quite a few who owned diesel pushers and did not have the state mandated non-commercial Class B license. Some just didn't know about the law but some who did know were pretty nonchalant about it.

We had CDLs at the time so weren't worried about it ourselves but some good friends of ours had just purchased their first DP. I urged them to get their Class B license. They balked at first saying "nobody checks or cares if you have it so we're going to skip it"

When I asked my attorney, who I was dealing with on other issues at the time, if it really mattered or not, he of course, told me to tell my friend to "make sure you're properly licensed, period." I figured he'd say that as, after all, it's the law.

However, he told me that they had a case in his office that had to do with a major accident involving a commercial truck driver who happened to have an invalid CDL (not sure if it was expired or why it wasn't valid) but he went on to relate a story about all the ins-and-outs and the can of worms it entailed dealing with the insurance companies and their attorneys where it would have made things much more simple if all parties were properly licensed.

Can an insurance company deny a claim simply because the driver was not properly licensed? Probably not. Personally, I don't want to be in that the position to find out, however.

I told my friends (a couple in their 60s) what I had been told by my attorney and so they checked with their own attorney. Their attorney, they told me, seemed even more adamant that they be properly licensed so they immediately made sure to get their Class B license and I helped them with it and to make it as easy for them as possible to obtain it.

I don't want to get into a flame war on the forum so I'll just leave it by saying that I ALWAYS stress to "be properly licensed for the vehicle that you're driving!" Sure, you may never be involved in an accident with your motorhome and have an insurance claim. Sure, the states may be requiring it only to collect money from their residents (I keep arguing that the fees for one are not that much). Sure, a LEO pulling you over for a traffic infraction may not care one way or the other and won't cite you for not having one.

But I still emphasize to people that if your state of residence requires a non-commercial Class B or equivalent for a vehicle that's typically 26,001 lb, GVWR or more, it's a law in your state and it doesn't say "you have the option to get one only if you feel like it."
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 07:22 PM   #8

I would say probably most people don't have the proper license. I have mine...but my father in law can't be bothered to get his...and in PA its just a road test. No written. Easy peasy.

I'll say that this happens all the time in Aviation. Pilots don't have proper medicals, proper recurrent training and checking, aircraft not properly maintained. When an aircraft crashes the insurance company just wants to know where to send the check.

When people are killed I'm sure the personal liability could get pretty sticky. But that must be pretty rare since we don't very often hear about it.
Old 03-26-2022, 08:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
But I still emphasize to people that if your state of residence requires a non-commercial Class B or equivalent for a vehicle that's typically 26,001 lb, GVWR or more, it's a law in your state and it doesn't say "you have the option to get one only if you feel like it."
I completely agree, and never said compliance is, or even should be, optional. What I have a problem with is claims of what the consequences of not having the license are, or could be, without any basis for those claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Sure, a LEO pulling you over for a traffic infraction may not care one way or the other and won't cite you for not having one.
That's actually a good example. Someone says, "You can get a ticket if you don't have the proper license," and someone replies, "Sez who?" The person who made the claim can simply give the citation to the law that requires the license.

Now do the same with the other claimed consequences of not having the proper license.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 09:32 PM   #10

I may be wrong but the way I read California's description is Class C for up to 40ft and Class B for over 40ft-but not longer than 45ft. No mention of weight unless you are "for Hire" then its 26001 lbs.
Old 03-26-2022, 09:58 PM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bruce,
The original poster is in North Carolina and your avatar says you re in Reche Canyon, CA. It really depends on what state you are in and that needs to be identified in any posts and would be less confusing.

Apples and Oranges.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 11:08 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Florida's license states up to 26000lb and any rv.
Old 03-27-2022, 06:02 AM   #13

Florida regs not very well worded...

"Class E Driver's License

The*Class E license*is the standard driver's license for people who drive personal vehicles. It allows you to drive a noncommercial vehicle that weighs less than 26,001 pounds. These include:

Automobiles

Trucks

Vans that carry up to 15 people (including the driver)

Recreational vehicles (RVs)

Mopeds, scooters and other two- to three-wheeled vehicles that are not motorcycles"

I see rec vehicles exempt from needing CDL... so it's not clear what is reqd >26001 #??
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 08:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Bruce,
The original poster is in North Carolina and your avatar says you re in Reche Canyon, CA. It really depends on what state you are in and that needs to be identified in any posts and would be less confusing.

Apples and Oranges.
I understood that Wayne but as others have shown every state is different. CA doesn't seem to care about weight just length I was just sharing the info

Tags
class b, driver